Third Party Press

duffle cut

MAUSERGUY

I'm certain this has come up multiple times. but thought I'd ask again. What, if any,effect does a duffle cut stock have on value for an otherwise collectible 98? Had a guy telling me that his all-matching 98 was in great shape, but it had been duffle cut; of course in the same breath he said he did sand it "a little" when he got it; that pretty much answered most of the value question for me. I would think that if the cut was repaired, and the stock was glued back together, that would have a negative effect, but I really don"t know. Any advice is most welcome, especially if it's duffel, not duffle!

The sanding will hurt the value more than the duffle cut will...

Assuming its a standard duffle cut at the rear band, of course it will effect value, but in the grand scheme of things, most collectors don't mind them, in fact some like them as its more than likely a bringback then.

They don't bother me in the least, and I don't even bother fixing them. I wouldn't be shooting the gun anyway.

You can use them as a bargaining chip to get the price down...

Like you said though, the part that would be worrisome is the sanding. And how much sanding took place....

Agreed, I will never turn down a nice rifle that’s been duffle cut. Visible cuts don’t bother me either as long as they aren’t atrocious. I’ve been surprised several times after disassembly of a beautifully repaired cut under the band.

+1 for them actually being vet bring backs too. Realistically most of my beloved uncut rifles were probably just pre-68 imports.

I kind of figured the cut wouldn't have an adverse effect,and that the sanding is more of a concern. Many thanks.

Military Rifle Journal
Back