Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr-Hahn M1912 German 9mm Conversion with capture papers and holster

Default Steyr-Hahn M1912 German 9mm Conversion with capture papers and holster

Picked this up, a friend in NH found it for me after I told him I was looking for one this year (my wish list for the year is pretty short). I've always wanted one of the Police marked conversions, something about these pistols is alluring to me and I can't tell you why. My love of Beutewaffen notwithstanding, this is a neat set with capture papers and customs tag. Came from the family estate Lawyer, I'm wanting to try to get some more info about the guy but not sure I want to dig into an estate that has taken 5 years to settle (he died in 2014).

Anyway, this one is a little different than the majority of these as it has no Police Eagle/L on the frame. I've yet to hear a reason why from forum searching, but realized that this holster is somewhat unique as well in that every one I have seen posted before has a reworked WW1 M1912 holster of some type. It seems this was a German made holster for this pistol, and the upward facing closing strap leads me to believe it's Police as well. No markings on the holster, pretty much expected for a commercial item. The standard 8rd clip fits right in the pouch, and it has a leather tab to pull it out. Everything is matching and correct as well. The capture papers list a lot of camera equipment and a small 4" knife and sheath - maybe one day I can figure out what that was (boot knife?).

Pics show it has a nice 85% used rust blued finish, this one wasn't refinished and is not unit marked. Speaking of, I see quite a few that are LGK marked (Landesgendarmariekommando) - many times people say that is a post war marking, but maybe someone can tell me this - post WW1 or post WW2? Always wondered that! Pics are cell phone pics, I don't have my photo studio set up at the moment, maybe I'll update the pics when I set it back up.

Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

A pistol so ugly, it is beautiful. Excellent set of documents as well. Excited to learn more about the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by ugafx4 View Post
    A pistol so ugly, it is beautiful. Excellent set of documents as well. Excited to learn more about the vet.
    Me too, so far all I have concrete is from his obit, along with the NARA file which is easy to get:

Francis "Frank" X. Bolt, 91, of Marlborough died Thursday March 20, 2014 at Marlborough Hills Healthcare Center. He was the husband of the late Mildred C. (Costello) Bolt who died in 2003. He was born in Cambridge, raised in Somerville and moved to Marlborough in 1959. He was the son of the late Thomas J. and M. Susanna (Stamp) Bolt and was a 1940 graduate of Somerville High School and later graduated from Northeastern University with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Francis was a US Army veteran of World War II having served in England, France, Belgium, Germany and Austria. He was a survivor of D-Day and fought in the Battle of the Bulge receiving five battle stars. Following an honorable discharge he went back to work as a designer of defensive weapons for Watertown Arsenal Material & Mechanical Research Center for the Department of the Army for 35 years retiring in 1979. Frank was a member of Immaculate Conception Church, Holy Name Society and former member of I.C. Church school board advisory council, a member of Disabled American Veterans Salvadore Padula Chapter # 82 past commander, a former past president of the Marlborough Veterans Council, Akroyd Houde VFW Post # 132, AmVets Post # 1980. He devoted his life to his family and helping disabled veterans in any way he could. He leaves five daughters, Christine H. Pratt of Medway, Janice B. Clark of Boylston, Marcia M. Kos of Grafton, Denise M. Sylvester of New Hampshire and Elaine Densen of Framingham; three sons Richard F. Bolt of Marlborough, Paul X. Bolt of Grand Blanc, MI and Keith S. Bolt of Grafton; a brother Lawrence G. Bolt of Somerville; twelve grandchildren; six great grandchildren; many nephews and nieces. He was pre-deceased by two brothers, Thomas and William and by three sisters, Mary, Catherine and Anna. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Tuesday March 25 at 11:00 a.m. in Immaculate Conception Church, Prospect Street. Burial with military honors will follow in Evergreen Cemetery, Wilson Street. Calling hours will be held Monday March 24 from 5-8 p.m. in the Fitzgerald & Collins Funeral Home (www.CollinsFuneral.com), 378 Lincoln Street. In lieu of flowers donations may be made in his memory to DAV Salvadore Padula Chapter # 82, PO Box 229, Marlborough, MA 01752. All are invited to sign Frank's online guestbook at www.CollinsFuneral.com.
    Published in MetroWest Daily News from Mar. 22 to Mar. 23, 2014

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER
    31363749 31363749
    NAME
    BOLT#FRANCIS#X########## BOLT#FRANCIS#X##########
    RESIDENCE: STATE
    13 MASSACHUSETTS
    RESIDENCE: COUNTY
    017 MIDDLESEX
    PLACE OF ENLISTMENT
    1306 BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS
    DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY
    24 24
    DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH
    06 06
    DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR
    43 43
    GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION
    PVT# Private
    GRADE: CODE
    8 Private
    BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION
    NO# No branch assignment
    BRANCH: CODE
    02 No branch assignment
    FIELD USE AS DESIRED
    # #
    TERM OF ENLISTMENT
    5 Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
    LONGEVITY
    ### ###
    SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL
    0 Civil Life
    NATIVITY
    13 MASSACHUSETTS
    YEAR OF BIRTH
    22 22
    RACE AND CITIZENSHIP
    1 White, citizen
    EDUCATION
    4 4 years of high school
    CIVILIAN OCCUPATION
    513 Skilled occupations in the manufacture of miscellaneous products
    MARITAL STATUS
    6 Single, without dependents
    COMPONENT OF THE ARMY
    7 Selectees (Enlisted Men)
    CARD NUMBER
    # #
    BOX NUMBER
    0431 0431
    FILM REEL NUMBER
    3.153 3.153
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

That is one cool ass rig. With papers yet.

I agree, nice rig Mike! Ugly gun, nice rig...

Nice to find so much info on the vet too!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I always thought these looked cool! They kinda remind me of a Colt 1900 with a European flair. Definitely a pistol I'd like to pick up one of these days.

Very nice rig

Very nice, thanks for giving us a look at it....

Mine is a 1914 dated ‘f’ block but no papers.

Last edited by Dawkind; 04-10-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Excellent rig with great paperwork. One is on my list, just haven't run across any yet. I'm jealous! Thanks for the bring and brag.

G2

Thanks for sharing. The Steyer-Roth m1907 "George Jetson" pistol has the same effect on me....