Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modified Gew 88 and Gew. 91

Frank, Can you measure the barrel and barrel jacket?

While there are six Gew.88k (Craig attributed the unofficial model to them as Gewehr 88 kurz, and i will stick with it), none are especially well detailed, CB's rifle was picked up at auction and seems to be a little short compared the Jarrett's rifle (and a K88 RS arrangement vs. Jarrets original RS), which "seems" slightly longer than a Kar.88 (CB's rifle is slightly longer, but not as long as Jarrett's, further Jarrett's description leave something to be desired, it isn't exact but seems to match closely with CB's rifle mathematically, - Jarrett states shortened 10.5 inches, CB use metric, which translate to about 11 or so inches, but Jarrett's rifle, next to the three others, looks shorter than a G88, but longer than K88 and G91). Craig couldn't get his jacket off to detail the barrel markings, his rifle had additional acceptance on the RR, but he never took pictures of his rifle, so all I have are the original auction pictures and the Amoskeag sale picture after his death.

I will not pretend to know much about the variation, but I can tell that of the 6 known examples, not all are authentic and some are more ridiculous than others. Craig's rifle looked more correct than the others (compared to Jarrett's, the RS being the most obvious discrepancy), but his is the only rifle detailed with any "exactitude".

Larry sold perhaps the closest "match" to Jarrett's, but who the hell knows... I will have to do some sorting out and some spectacularly long guesswork to finish his article with a conclusion.... really without CB I think a reasonable conclusion can't be made, the G88 isn't a major interest of mine and all the variations to modifications and markings get a little confusing, especially as there are so many foreign modifications and "adulteration's" involved. Probably will just stick with Craig's words with the minimal amount of modification, he wouldn't have wanted my hamfisted modifications and interpretations muddling up his work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jarrett's rifle in "B", this rifle was written about in 1930, so the variation, real or imagined, pre-dates the profession of humperism, at least humperism for profit... these rifles aren't worth much today and in 1929 weren't worth their weight in scrap.

Here is Larry's rifle, no sale text.... there are others, but some have shortened stocks beyond what is standard (sportered)

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    Frank, Can you measure the barrel and barrel jacket?

While there are six Gew.88k (Craig attributed the unofficial model to them as Gewehr 88 kurz, and i will stick with it), none are especially well detailed, CB's rifle was picked up at auction and seems to be a little short compared the Jarrett's rifle (and a K88 RS arrangement vs. Jarrets original RS), which "seems" slightly longer than a Kar.88 (CB's rifle is slightly longer, but not as long as Jarrett's, further Jarrett's description leave something to be desired, it isn't exact but seems to match closely with CB's rifle mathematically, - Jarrett states shortened 10.5 inches, CB use metric, which translate to about 11 or so inches, but Jarrett's rifle, next to the three others, looks shorter than a G88, but longer than K88 and G91). Craig couldn't get his jacket off to detail the barrel markings, his rifle had additional acceptance on the RR, but he never took pictures of his rifle, so all I have are the original auction pictures and the Amoskeag sale picture after his death.

I will not pretend to know much about the variation, but I can tell that of the 6 known examples, not all are authentic and some are more ridiculous than others. Craig's rifle looked more correct than the others (compared to Jarrett's, the RS being the most obvious discrepancy), but his is the only rifle detailed with any "exactitude".

Larry sold perhaps the closest "match" to Jarrett's, but who the hell knows... I will have to do some sorting out and some spectacularly long guesswork to finish his article with a conclusion.... really without CB I think a reasonable conclusion can't be made, the G88 isn't a major interest of mine and all the variations to modifications and markings get a little confusing, especially as there are so many foreign modifications and "adulteration's" involved. Probably will just stick with Craig's words with the minimal amount of modification, he wouldn't have wanted my hamfisted modifications and interpretations muddling up his work.

Here are the barrel and barrel jacket measurements for Modified Gew. 88 sn 7807 v

Barrel (measured from bolt face to muzzle) 23 3/8 inches
    Barrel Jacket, 22 5/8 inches