Third Party Press

G98/40

sturmgrenadier

After seeing the handsome jhv44 posted by another member, I was inspired to post my very own. Its an ugly duckling, but its all mine. The wood is ugly for lack of a better word, the stain on the butt stock didn't absorb into the wood.

Attachments

• g24 g98 019.jpg
    g24 g98 019.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 75
  • g24 g98 020.jpg
    g24 g98 020.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 77
  • g24 g98 025.jpg
    g24 g98 025.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 80
  • g24 g98 021.jpg
    g24 g98 021.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 64
  • g24 g98 023.jpg
    g24 g98 023.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 60
  • g24 g98 024.jpg
    g24 g98 024.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 53
I was able to pry this one out of Dave Davis's hands about 10 years ago.

Attachments

• g24 g98 022.jpg
    g24 g98 022.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 34
  • g24 g98 026.jpg
    g24 g98 026.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 41
  • g24 g98 027.jpg
    g24 g98 027.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 40
  • g24 g98 028.jpg
    g24 g98 028.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 36
  • g24 g98 029.jpg
    g24 g98 029.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 33
  • g24 g98 031.jpg
    g24 g98 031.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 38
  • g24 g98 032.jpg
    g24 g98 032.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 43
After seeing the handsome jhv44 posted by another member, I was inspired to post my very own. Its an ugly duckling, but its all mine. The wood is ugly for lack of a better word, the stain on the butt stock didn't absorb into the wood.

Its a good piece! If you are trying to "stain" the butt to match the forend, don't use stain....use Dye, like RIT, dissolved into pure rubbing alcohol...it penetrates the wood way better than stains...

Its a good piece! If you are trying to "stain" the butt to match the forend, don't use stain....use Dye, like RIT, dissolved into pure rubbing alcohol...it penetrates the wood way better than stains...

Thanks pzjgr. I didn't stain anything, the wood is mixed density and I'm presuming when it was originally stained, this was the result.

Thanks pzjgr. I didn't stain anything, the wood is mixed density and I'm presuming when it was originally stained, this was the result.

Ahh, I thought you had tried to stain it darker...wouldn't be surprised by 1944 they were using whatever wood they had on hand without bothering to try to match it up...weird how it took the stain, very blotchy...

good gun

I have one pic stickied on this site...Do NOT mess with the finish. I have seen reds and whites like mine. Nothing wrong with the way it is.

I have one pic stickied on this site...Do NOT mess with the finish. I have seen reds and whites like mine. Nothing wrong with the way it is.

As I've already stated, but maybe not clearly enough: I've owned this rifle for nearly 10 years. I have NOT touched the stock, nor do I intend to. The purpose of posting this rifle was to contrast the choice of wood/ finish against the handsome jhv44 posted a day earlier by a new member on facebook.

I really like that been there done that look. There is just something about a rifle that has that "I was used in combat" look to it. I posted mine a few months back, both have same appeal. That 1944 G98/40 posted from facebook looks almost like it was restored it's a real knock out if it's not!

Last edited:
I really like that been there done that look. There is just something about a rifle that has that "I was used in combat" look to it. I posted mine a few months back, both have same appeal. That 1944 G98/40 posted from facebook looks almost like it was restored it's a real knock out if it's not!

That other one is mine and 100% not restored. The metal all had closet rust , luckily most of it it came off without a issue. Nothing on the metal was touched up. And the wood was totally untouched and I am leaving it that way. ....i still really need to take it all down and at take care of any active rust ......the bore looked bad when I first got it , but now is almost near new. I do believe the rifle came back in near unused condition and just sat for decades......

That other one is mine and 100% not restored. The metal all had closet rust , luckily most of it it came off without a issue. Nothing on the metal was touched up. And the wood was totally untouched and I am leaving it that way. ....i still really need to take it all down and at take care of any active rust ......the bore looked bad when I first got it , but now is almost near new. I do believe the rifle came back in near unused condition and just sat for decades......

Nice! Mine I would say is in excellent condition matching numbers with no issues at all and clean bore. I was missing the site hood on mine and got super lucky to find one on another forum with a wanted add. Those site hoods are like trying to find hen teeth. Sturmgrenadier, welcome to the club! Thanks for posting yours.

Sal

Nice! Mine I would say is in excellent condition matching numbers with no issues at all and clean bore. I was missing the site hood on mine and got super lucky to find one on another forum with a wanted add. Those site hoods are like trying to find hen teeth. Sturmgrenadier, welcome to the club! Thanks for posting yours.

Sal

Thanks Sal, I've had it since 2008, just never took photos. I've got a 24t and 33/40 I've got to post as well.

No worries, Brother. You have higher priorities now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back