Third Party Press

Stand Modell Comparison

runner

The Mauser Standard Modells have long been a favorite of mine. Not as well documented as K98ks,
Their are at least three versions, depending on how you choose to differentiate the types. In this short comparison
I will use sidewall markings.

The earliest rifles, had no sidewall markings, and at least on my example also has a larger Mauser Banner than the other variations.
In the group shot the Blank Sidewall modell is in the middle.

The next sidewall variation is the "Standard Modell-1924".

The final version, and the most common, "Standard Modell"

Attachments

• IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 77
In my experience, none of the Standard Modells are common, but the Blank sidewall I would call rare,
the Standard Modell-1924 scarce and the Standard Modell the easiest to find.

I can only estimate, based on my limited studies of these rifles when the sidewall markings changed.
I believe the blank sidewall were the early versions that had final assembly in Switzerland. I would date these to
1931-32. By 1933 the Standard Modell 1924 marking had appeared and seem to last through 1933 and 34.
The final Standard Modell sidewall marking in place by 1935 through the end of production.

In addition to sidewall markings changes, The type of rear band and the band spring arrangement also evolved.

In late 1935 or early 1936 The lower band changed from the narrow type with the Gew. 98 type bandspring, to
the wider type with both upper and lower bands held by a single spring, as on the K98k.

I want to stress that the dates/variations that I give are my opinion only based on keeping data on these for the last 12 years.
I have seen no original documentation other than what Mike and Bruce listed in their excellent series. I will be happy to be corrected
on any comments I make.

The next photos will show brief pictures of the three variations.

Last edited:
Blank Sidewall

I acquired this rifle when I lived in Ky nearly 30 years ago, it came in a early K98k stock
only the barreled action is original. It is the only blank sidewall Standard Modell I have
ever seen in person.

Attachments

• IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Standard Modell-1924

This one obviously went to China, as did the bulk of Standard Modell production, especially the early ones.
I have found better examples of this variation, but have been holding out for a matching one, I may not live long enough.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Standard Modell variation

This is the most common, and often found in good condition, of the
three sidewall variations.

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 47
This concludes my very broad brush approach to the different variations of Standard Modells,
there are sub-variations based on font, not to mention carbines and factory modified examples
converted to K98k specs complete with turned down bolts. (these are well covered in Karabiner 98k)
If Mike and Bruce had only written that book first, I would not have passed on the only matching version
I have seen in person, thinking it had been post war modified.

I did not include the Banner Modells, as I consider these to be a separate series form the Standard Modells,
although I have seen one that seemed a hybrid of the two.

My comments should only be considered suggestions intended to stimulate a discussion of these rifles. I know
their are others on this board that are far more knowledgable than myself on these rifles and I hope they
will comment and correct any incorrect statements I made.

I would also like to give credit to the late John Wall for sharing data on these rifles and encouraging my interest in them.

Last edited:
I welcome this discussion here, as it certainly pre-dates 1933 and starts/falls in the Republican era. It is also great to see your Beagle breeze by... getting old, we have an elderly wanderer ourselves, though she sleeps more than wanders...

Standard Modell variations, since John Wall passed there is something of a void in trying to interpret the numerous variations, one of my earliest projects were trending Standard Modell's and Mauser Banners (K), generally I break them down by dates:

Mauser Banner K's (98k design), basically the DRP's and DR's which are dated 1933-1934

B-prefix Standard Modells, they start seemingly early, a very few are in the B100xx ranges, the earliest rifles are dated 1934, so it is reasonable safe to assume these came after the orders for the DRP & DR. They become more common around B38xxx range and are undated by then. They become common by B39xxx-B400xx ranges. They range up to B823xx ranges. The earliest of the B-prefixes are Chinese contracts and the Ethiopian contracts fall right after (B216xx-B292xx), almost all 1934 dated receivers. Rarely encountered are rifles before the B35xxx range, when seen they are typically Chinese, Ethiopian, or some escapee the SS picked up. There are a few A-prefix rifles but so rare as to defy categorization.

The SS/SA (Gr.B.B. - Ch.d.A) variations follow, mostly 1934 dated, but a few 1933. They are rarely seen and usually make people stupid.

There is a separate, or seemingly so, series that have more distinctive Chinese markings, follow a more normal serialing pattern (4-digits over a suffix) the Nationalist Chinese FP. I do not follow them as close, but they seem fairly common.

I separate the not attributed Mauser Banner K's into different groups, the ranges intermingle with the SS/SA variations, many probably went to the supermen, but maybe police. Most are 1934 dated (some earlies are 1933, up to 619xx). There are queer birds here too, T-prefix rifles, C-prefix (not DR's) a few others, generally they range to 948xx

The 1941 Mauser Banners are last, quite a few of them. Basically SM built up as 98k within the 1941/byf serial range.

Generally the earliest SM are so rare they are impossible to study, or trend, I assume most were consumed in China, I doubt many went to Germany. Jon Speed stated that parts for the SM were made in Germany and shipped to Switzerland (1931) for export to other countries, this was to get around the restriction placed upon Germany not to import or export military equipment of any kind (1920's international agreement based upon the Versailles Treaty, but it wasn't German law until 1930 - it was one of the last "big deals" the English, French and Belgians extracted from the Germans, - they pushed hard to curb the proliferation of police too, but the Germans wouldn't budge on the police, but after intense negotiations and compromises, the Germans passed "German laws" to make it illegal to import or export military equipment, they also gave in on some fortification compromises, - let some Belgian Officers watch them blow up emplacements as i recall... ), this probably accounts for the illicit workaround sending parts to Switzerland to transship to China etc.. but it is less clear how many rifles were assembled in Germany for German customers or who the customers were.. small numbers either way until 1933. I would think the survival numbers would be high for any sold in Germany, they certainly are common for the ranges we know they were sold in Germany...

Last edited:
I should also make note regarding dating of B-prefix rifles, the barrels are often dateable, - barrels before 1935 are not dated, but starting in 1936 they are, B47xxx is when the first 1936 barrel is observed, they are common by B56xxx. B589xx the first 1937's show up.

A very nice rifle, unusual too, though this rifle falls in the range where strange hybrids begin. There are a number of hybrid SM/98k or military acceptance (e/655 finals) SM in this range and beyond. Before B74131 most are straight forward Standard Modells, after that they are all to one degree or another 98k or 98k characteristics/military acceptance.

Anyway, I suspect these are Mauser alterations, not depot, probably for the SS or police organization, unless they have the e/655 final or some form of military acceptance (note every recorded SM B-prefix from B74131 till the end is either a hybrid 98k, military finaled, or rc/BR/barreled receiver). Bold are rifles with some modification from SM, normal are generally rc's, but none are normal fullstocks/bolt SM as i have not found one in 20 years (though may exist, my bet is Mauser's customers, all government/political entities wanted 98k features, or went to the military):

B74131 – SMSR Straight Bolt- 4131 (TF) (98k stock)
B74524 – SMSR BBolt- 4524 (TF) 37Si28 (98k conversion)
B75584 – SMSR BC- 37Si16 e/63 BUNG SBolt- 5584 top flat TD
B75690 – SMSR BC- 37*4 (middle character damaged-deact.) B/R (m/m stock)
B76008 – SMSR 98k conversion-BruceK092311
B76163 – SMSR BBolt (m/m stock)
B76428 – SMSR 98k conversion-pwcosol 112012 report
B76467 – SMSR (German m/m de-act)
B77184 – SMSR 98k conversion BC- 37Si166
B77292 – SMSR rcNS
B77545 – SMSR BC- 37Si113 e/63 BUNG (final e/655)
B77847 – SMSR BC- 37Si162 BUNG rc
B77965 – SMSR (German m/m de-act) rc
B77xxx – 1938 dated barrel
B78112 – SMSR rc
B78113 – SMSR (re-barrel avk BK) BBolt- 8113 (top flat) / c/B c/U
B78983 – SMSR Barreled Action rebuild 1944 (CB report111910) BGS
B78984 – SMSR Barreled Action rebuild 98k
B79189 – SMSR 98k conversion
B80081 – SMSR (final e/655)
B80082 – (final e/655) Vaugn report 062411
B80882 – SMSR rcNS
B81192 – SMSR (final e/655) 98k conversion-Sturgess
B81431 – SMSR (final e/655) humper bolt/stock
B81740 - SMSR rc
B82143 – SMSR (final e/655) BBolt 98k
B82231 – SMSR (final e/655)
B82714 – SMSR BBolt, 98k stock BC- 37Dö37 e/63 BUNG
B82833 – SMSR rcNS
B82885 - rc (HH)
B83073 - SMSR B/R
B83225 - SMSR B/R rc
B83253 – SMSR rcNS

BBolt=bent bolt/98k bolt
SBolt=straight bolt/SM bolt

I own SM 83073. It came to me as a barreled receiver in what I assumed to be a cut down K98k stock. There is no e/135 final acceptance on the top of the receiver. When I took it out of the stock
the stock channel is serial numbered to the receiver, in what appears to be period German font. Again the stock is not a modified SM stock just cut down K98k stock from I would guess the 1940 period.
(Walnut stock, large takedown disc, flat buttplate)
I always wondered if there was any chance this rifle left the factory with this stock? I will post photos of the numbers in the stock channel tonight. Unfortunately, the stock has been sanded to the point of removing any exterior markings.

Thanks Loewe, that's interesting stuff. On SMSR, I know the SM is Standard Modell, what is SR? I know I'm going to feel stupid when you answer this but it's been a long day.

Craig, Standard-Modell "siderail", its redundant and repetitive, but I pretty much always identify SR changes regardless of variation.

Frank, stocks are "seemingly" pretty devoid of markings, as are bands (NS), at least the few that are thoroughly examined by their owners. Among the e/655's, only B82143 (BillG's rifle) seems to have significant stock acceptance. Really, it is difficult to get too biblical on pronouncements regarding this variation as so few go through a lot of effort detailing markings, one can assume this is because they are blank and they didn't see profit in taking pictures of "the absence" of markings, though this only leads to guessing...

There are a couple non-Army (e/655) that have some markings, though some of the stocks are pretty rough and (couple are BGS so they are compromised to this detail) a couple have suspect markings, all seem to have internal serialing.

Anyway, there is more I do not know or understand about this variation than I do...

This is the rifle I mentioned in an earlier post. It is a pretty late Standard Modell, and I was wondering if their is any chance the cut down K98k stock it is in is original or at least period to the rifle. Normally I would say no way, and I still lean that way, but the numbering in the barrel channel looks pretty good to me. I would appreciate other opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1057.jpg
    IMG_1057.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1059.jpg
    IMG_1059.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 18
A few more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1062.jpg
    IMG_1062.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1063.jpg
    IMG_1063.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 10
Standard Modell

IMO, the only Standard-Modells that left Oberndorf were only in partial K98k configuration.
Bill Grist's example has a turned down bolt but still carries the bottom mount sling with no provision for
a side sling. Landies has another similar example. These are both Heer accepted.

The full and partial conversions to side sling were all non-factory conversions and the source of work on
these rifles is unknown.

All have non-Mauser mfg. rear bands (E/280 and E/37 for example).

B.

Last edited:
Paul, Bruce, thanks. I presumed from the first time looking at the side sling cut and band modified SM I posted that it was depot done, or at least not factory. It was a matter of how a SM got into the supply chain, which Paul addressed. Could have been in the system from a sale to SS or police / political then found its way to a unit / depot upgrade closer to K98k specs. We'll never know without depot markings, and even then......

One of these looks familiar haha, glad to see it’s among friends!

The Mauser Standard Modells have long been a favorite of mine. Not as well documented as K98ks,
Their are at least three versions, depending on how you choose to differentiate the types. In this short comparison
I will use sidewall markings.

The earliest rifles, had no sidewall markings, and at least on my example also has a larger Mauser Banner than the other variations.
In the group shot the Blank Sidewall modell is in the middle.

The next sidewall variation is the "Standard Modell-1924".

The final version, and the most common, "Standard Modell"

Military Rifle Journal
Back