Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stand Modell Comparison

Default Stand Modell Comparison

The Mauser Standard Modells have long been a favorite of mine. Not as well documented as K98ks,
    Their are at least three versions, depending on how you choose to differentiate the types. In this short comparison
    I will use sidewall markings.

The earliest rifles, had no sidewall markings, and at least on my example also has a larger Mauser Banner than the other variations.
    In the group shot the Blank Sidewall modell is in the middle.

The next sidewall variation is the "Standard Modell-1924".

The final version, and the most common, "Standard Modell"
    Attached Images Attached Images

In my experience, none of the Standard Modells are common, but the Blank sidewall I would call rare,
    the Standard Modell-1924 scarce and the Standard Modell the easiest to find.

I can only estimate, based on my limited studies of these rifles when the sidewall markings changed.
    I believe the blank sidewall were the early versions that had final assembly in Switzerland. I would date these to
    1931-32. By 1933 the Standard Modell 1924 marking had appeared and seem to last through 1933 and 34.
    The final Standard Modell sidewall marking in place by 1935 through the end of production.

In addition to sidewall markings changes, The type of rear band and the band spring arrangement also evolved.

In late 1935 or early 1936 The lower band changed from the narrow type with the Gew. 98 type bandspring, to
    the wider type with both upper and lower bands held by a single spring, as on the K98k.

I want to stress that the dates/variations that I give are my opinion only based on keeping data on these for the last 12 years.
    I have seen no original documentation other than what Mike and Bruce listed in their excellent series. I will be happy to be corrected
    on any comments I make.

The next photos will show brief pictures of the three variations.
    Last edited by runner; 04-13-2019 at 08:45 PM.

Default Blank Sidewall

I acquired this rifle when I lived in Ky nearly 30 years ago, it came in a early K98k stock
    only the barreled action is original. It is the only blank sidewall Standard Modell I have
    ever seen in person.
    Last edited by runner; 04-14-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Red face Standard Modell-1924

This one obviously went to China, as did the bulk of Standard Modell production, especially the early ones.
    I have found better examples of this variation, but have been holding out for a matching one, I may not live long enough.
    Last edited by runner; 04-13-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Default Standard Modell variation

This is the most common, and often found in good condition, of the
    three sidewall variations.

This concludes my very broad brush approach to the different variations of Standard Modells,
    there are sub-variations based on font, not to mention carbines and factory modified examples
    converted to K98k specs complete with turned down bolts. (these are well covered in Karabiner 98k)
    If Mike and Bruce had only written that book first, I would not have passed on the only matching version
    I have seen in person, thinking it had been post war modified.

I did not include the Banner Modells, as I consider these to be a separate series form the Standard Modells,
    although I have seen one that seemed a hybrid of the two.

My comments should only be considered suggestions intended to stimulate a discussion of these rifles. I know
    their are others on this board that are far more knowledgable than myself on these rifles and I hope they
    will comment and correct any incorrect statements I made.

I would also like to give credit to the late John Wall for sharing data on these rifles and encouraging my interest in them.
    Last edited by runner; 04-14-2019 at 08:48 PM.

I welcome this discussion here, as it certainly pre-dates 1933 and starts/falls in the Republican era. It is also great to see your Beagle breeze by... getting old, we have an elderly wanderer ourselves, though she sleeps more than wanders...

Standard Modell variations, since John Wall passed there is something of a void in trying to interpret the numerous variations, one of my earliest projects were trending Standard Modell's and Mauser Banners (K), generally I break them down by dates:

Mauser Banner K's (98k design), basically the DRP's and DR's which are dated 1933-1934

B-prefix Standard Modells, they start seemingly early, a very few are in the B100xx ranges, the earliest rifles are dated 1934, so it is reasonable safe to assume these came after the orders for the DRP & DR. They become more common around B38xxx range and are undated by then. They become common by B39xxx-B400xx ranges. They range up to B823xx ranges. The earliest of the B-prefixes are Chinese contracts and the Ethiopian contracts fall right after (B216xx-B292xx), almost all 1934 dated receivers. Rarely encountered are rifles before the B35xxx range, when seen they are typically Chinese, Ethiopian, or some escapee the SS picked up. There are a few A-prefix rifles but so rare as to defy categorization.

The SS/SA (Gr.B.B. - Ch.d.A) variations follow, mostly 1934 dated, but a few 1933. They are rarely seen and usually make people stupid.

There is a separate, or seemingly so, series that have more distinctive Chinese markings, follow a more normal serialing pattern (4-digits over a suffix) the Nationalist Chinese FP. I do not follow them as close, but they seem fairly common.

I separate the not attributed Mauser Banner K's into different groups, the ranges intermingle with the SS/SA variations, many probably went to the supermen, but maybe police. Most are 1934 dated (some earlies are 1933, up to 619xx). There are queer birds here too, T-prefix rifles, C-prefix (not DR's) a few others, generally they range to 948xx

The 1941 Mauser Banners are last, quite a few of them. Basically SM built up as 98k within the 1941/byf serial range.

Generally the earliest SM are so rare they are impossible to study, or trend, I assume most were consumed in China, I doubt many went to Germany. Jon Speed stated that parts for the SM were made in Germany and shipped to Switzerland (1931) for export to other countries, this was to get around the restriction placed upon Germany not to import or export military equipment of any kind (1920's international agreement based upon the Versailles Treaty, but it wasn't German law until 1930 - it was one of the last "big deals" the English, French and Belgians extracted from the Germans, - they pushed hard to curb the proliferation of police too, but the Germans wouldn't budge on the police, but after intense negotiations and compromises, the Germans passed "German laws" to make it illegal to import or export military equipment, they also gave in on some fortification compromises, - let some Belgian Officers watch them blow up emplacements as i recall... ), this probably accounts for the illicit workaround sending parts to Switzerland to transship to China etc.. but it is less clear how many rifles were assembled in Germany for German customers or who the customers were.. small numbers either way until 1933. I would think the survival numbers would be high for any sold in Germany, they certainly are common for the ranges we know they were sold in Germany...
    Last edited by Loewe; 04-16-2019 at 01:19 PM.

I should also make note regarding dating of B-prefix rifles, the barrels are often dateable, - barrels before 1935 are not dated, but starting in 1936 they are, B47xxx is when the first 1936 barrel is observed, they are common by B56xxx. B589xx the first 1937's show up.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....-Modell-Rework

Good info in this thread. Something like the above would have found its way into the Wehrmacht supply chain and then been reworked or reworked/reconfigured and then entered supply? I find it interesting that the underlying SM made it to apparent issue.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

A very nice rifle, unusual too, though this rifle falls in the range where strange hybrids begin. There are a number of hybrid SM/98k or military acceptance (e/655 finals) SM in this range and beyond. Before B74131 most are straight forward Standard Modells, after that they are all to one degree or another 98k or 98k characteristics/military acceptance.

Anyway, I suspect these are Mauser alterations, not depot, probably for the SS or police organization, unless they have the e/655 final or some form of military acceptance (note every recorded SM B-prefix from B74131 till the end is either a hybrid 98k, military finaled, or rc/BR/barreled receiver). Bold are rifles with some modification from SM, normal are generally rc's, but none are normal fullstocks/bolt SM as i have not found one in 20 years (though may exist, my bet is Mauser's customers, all government/political entities wanted 98k features, or went to the military):

B74131 – SMSR Straight Bolt- 4131 (TF) (98k stock)
    B74524 – SMSR BBolt- 4524 (TF) 37Si28 (98k conversion)
    B75584 – SMSR BC- 37Si16 e/63 BUNG SBolt- 5584 top flat TD
    B75690 – SMSR BC- 37*4 (middle character damaged-deact.) B/R (m/m stock)
    B76008 – SMSR 98k conversion-BruceK092311
    B76163 – SMSR BBolt (m/m stock)
    B76428 – SMSR 98k conversion-pwcosol 112012 report
    B76467 – SMSR (German m/m de-act)
    B77184 – SMSR 98k conversion BC- 37Si166
    B77292 – SMSR rcNS
    B77545 – SMSR BC- 37Si113 e/63 BUNG (final e/655)
    B77847 – SMSR BC- 37Si162 BUNG rc
    B77965 – SMSR (German m/m de-act) rc
    B77xxx – 1938 dated barrel
    B78112 – SMSR rc
    B78113 – SMSR (re-barrel avk BK) BBolt- 8113 (top flat) / c/B c/U
    B78983 – SMSR Barreled Action rebuild 1944 (CB report111910) BGS
    B78984 – SMSR Barreled Action rebuild 98k
    B79189 – SMSR 98k conversion
    B80081 – SMSR (final e/655)
    B80082 – (final e/655) Vaugn report 062411
    B80882 – SMSR rcNS
    B81192 – SMSR (final e/655) 98k conversion-Sturgess