Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stand Modell Comparison

I own SM 83073. It came to me as a barreled receiver in what I assumed to be a cut down K98k stock. There is no e/135 final acceptance on the top of the receiver. When I took it out of the stock
    the stock channel is serial numbered to the receiver, in what appears to be period German font. Again the stock is not a modified SM stock just cut down K98k stock from I would guess the 1940 period.
    (Walnut stock, large takedown disc, flat buttplate)
    I always wondered if there was any chance this rifle left the factory with this stock? I will post photos of the numbers in the stock channel tonight. Unfortunately, the stock has been sanded to the point of removing any exterior markings.

Thanks Loewe, that's interesting stuff. On SMSR, I know the SM is Standard Modell, what is SR? I know I'm going to feel stupid when you answer this but it's been a long day.
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Craig, Standard-Modell "siderail", its redundant and repetitive, but I pretty much always identify SR changes regardless of variation.

Frank, stocks are "seemingly" pretty devoid of markings, as are bands (NS), at least the few that are thoroughly examined by their owners. Among the e/655's, only B82143 (BillG's rifle) seems to have significant stock acceptance. Really, it is difficult to get too biblical on pronouncements regarding this variation as so few go through a lot of effort detailing markings, one can assume this is because they are blank and they didn't see profit in taking pictures of "the absence" of markings, though this only leads to guessing...

There are a couple non-Army (e/655) that have some markings, though some of the stocks are pretty rough and (couple are BGS so they are compromised to this detail) a couple have suspect markings, all seem to have internal serialing.

Anyway, there is more I do not know or understand about this variation than I do...

This is the rifle I mentioned in an earlier post. It is a pretty late Standard Modell, and I was wondering if their is any chance the cut down K98k stock it is in is original or at least period to the rifle. Normally I would say no way, and I still lean that way, but the numbering in the barrel channel looks pretty good to me. I would appreciate other opinions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Standard Modell

IMO, the only Standard-Modells that left Oberndorf were only in partial K98k configuration.
    Bill Grist's example has a turned down bolt but still carries the bottom mount sling with no provision for
    a side sling. Landies has another similar example. These are both Heer accepted.

The full and partial conversions to side sling were all non-factory conversions and the source of work on
    these rifles is unknown.

All have non-Mauser mfg. rear bands (E/280 and E/37 for example).

B.
    Last edited by bruce98k; 04-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    ---- Turbo Myš ----

Paul, Bruce, thanks. I presumed from the first time looking at the side sling cut and band modified SM I posted that it was depot done, or at least not factory. It was a matter of how a SM got into the supply chain, which Paul addressed. Could have been in the system from a sale to SS or police / political then found its way to a unit / depot upgrade closer to K98k specs. We'll never know without depot markings, and even then......
    “Not every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.” - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

One of these looks familiar haha, glad to see it’s among friends!

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    The Mauser Standard Modells have long been a favorite of mine. Not as well documented as K98ks,
    Their are at least three versions, depending on how you choose to differentiate the types. In this short comparison
    I will use sidewall markings.

The earliest rifles, had no sidewall markings, and at least on my example also has a larger Mauser Banner than the other variations.
    In the group shot the Blank Sidewall modell is in the middle.

The next sidewall variation is the "Standard Modell-1924".

The final version, and the most common, "Standard Modell"

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1908 View Post
    One of these looks familiar haha, glad to see it’s among friends!
    Yes, and I am very grateful to its former owner, and I promise to take good care of it.