Third Party Press
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk SS Deaths Heads

I saw that as well but couldn’t be sure of what I was seeing or if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Figured I would play it safe and let everyone else look it over😆

Quote Originally Posted by USCS03 View Post
    I saw that as well but couldn’t be sure of what I was seeing or if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Figured I would play it safe and let everyone else look it over
    It’s good, I agree it’s an SS2 marking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Here's my m/m one for reference, a converted G98.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war"

George Santayana

Great thread. These are some of my most fav k98s

Let’s talk barrel shoulder stamps:

Here’s the list of the ones I can remember

TS
    star
    SS2 dhd
    F.S.
    HW

Am I missing any? It has been thought in the past that these may be an acceptance of the shortened Gew barrel, but it seems to lack a little bit of consistency. I know I’ve seen a couple replacement barrels that had a shoulder stamp. Any new theories on this?

The rifle posted above with the +dhd is curious that it has a SS2 on the shoulder. Presumably the barrel was shortened at the dachau depot as part of the original conversion and barrel shortening, so why no large SS2 dhd? I assume this ties into what Mike said about the +dhd being part of later reworks. I’ve also seen an example that had no dhd’s except the small ss2 one on the shoulder. Hmm

Potential Future Early War Armchair Internet Expert sheepdog's Avatar

If shooterike is lurking I bet he had to take some Valium
    Alles, was man im Leben braucht, ist eine gute Frau, ein treuer Hund und eine nette alte Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
    Let’s talk barrel shoulder stamps:

Here’s the list of the ones I can remember

TS
    star
    SS2 dhd
    F.S.
    HW

Am I missing any? It has been thought in the past that these may be an acceptance of the shortened Gew barrel, but it seems to lack a little bit of consistency. I know I’ve seen a couple replacement barrels that had a shoulder stamp. Any new theories on this?

The rifle posted above with the +dhd is curious that it has a SS2 on the shoulder. Presumably the barrel was shortened at the dachau depot as part of the original conversion and barrel shortening, so why no large SS2 dhd? I assume this ties into what Mike said about the +dhd being part of later reworks. I’ve also seen an example that had no dhd’s except the small ss2 one on the shoulder. Hmm
    That is a whole 'nother can of worms there. I see the TS, Star, FS and HW on purpose made short barrels, and have seen the SS2 on shortened barrels (but also unshortened). I really don't know, but if I had one with a shortened Gew bbl I would expect it to have an SS2 or one of the others.

I've been told that the first post is a bit confusing, and I know why - there is no timeline for when these skull types appear based on bbl markings. I can tell you I have a lot of observations but many are missing the barrrel date, people sometimes refuse to take guns apart. I haven't spent a lot of time trending that, just a rough outline of *about when these show up. I'm going to add an timeline, it's surprising for some of it. The "+" mark one is early but as I said it shows up later with the "lazy S" type for some reason, more on that later I guess. I'm going to update the first post with the rough timeline.

Ok, I've updated the initial thread to keep up with the evolution of this thread. A few thoughts:

1. -Why did the SS stop making SS Gew conversions? Well, clearly when the Army allowed the Waffen-SS access to army depots they were no longer needed. They end when that happened.
    2. - Why did the SS spend time reworking older SS Gewehr rifles with bent bolts if they didn't need them anymore?- they did need them, training units weren't allowed access to Army depot weapons

I think that the "+" marked guns => Lazy S guns => "SS" skull guns => "01" guns.

So go back to the first thread and look over the graph I made, see if that makes the subject more clear.

Very helpful diagram. Nice to finally see trends starting with these. Mike, if you want a date for a = head, just see my thread down the page.

http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....gew-conversion

Also, I believe one of my lazy s rifles is an early ‘37. I’ll check when I get a chance and add pics.