Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchased Yugo Capture WWII German Mauser

Default Purchased Yugo Capture WWII German Mauser

Yesterday at Cabela’s I found a sporterized Yugo capture German K98 on the used rack for $150. The stock is the only thing that has been altered. It still has the military sights and everything. The tag didn’t list a country of origin or the model just “8mm Mauser”. It has the Yugo crest on the receiver and Mod.98 on the side. After looking over all the small parts I found a few Nazi waffenamts. You can definitely tell where the other German markings were by the rough scrub job the Yugos did on it. Next to the Yugo crest you can make out a code that ends in “z” but I’m not sure of the other two letters. I plan on getting a proper German Military stock and put it back to its original configuration.

Pretty neat rifle and I felt like a great deal for only $150.
    1936 K98 S/42 German Mauser
    K98 BNZ Yugo Capture German Mauser

R Guns sells complete Yugo capture stock sets for about $175 plus shipping. That would be a great option to put that action back "in action."

Quote Originally Posted by bigwagon View Post
    R Guns sells complete Yugo capture stock sets for about $175 plus shipping. That would be a great option to put that action back "in action."

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll check them out.

The German marking on the receiver above the crest is slightly visible. I can see it definitely ends in “z”. Is there anyway I might be able to figure out what year and factory this was originally produced in by this?

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Quote Originally Posted by ZakBradshaw View Post
    The German marking on the receiver above the crest is slightly visible. I can see it definitely ends in “z”. Is there anyway I might be able to figure out what year and factory this was originally produced in by this?
    Probably BNZ (Steyr's factory code). Also, the only factory code to end in a 'Z'

Thank you! What year range did they make the K98’s?

Also, the serial number on the receiver and bolt match and start with a “G”. Is this the original German serial number or did the Yugos re-serial number then?

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Quote Originally Posted by ZakBradshaw View Post
    Thank you! What year range did they make the K98’s?
    BNZ was used from 1940/1-1945. They had used 660 from 1938-1940. Also, the Germans only used letter suffixes, never prefixes, so the new serial was likely applied by the Yugoslavians

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

One thing to note on replacing a stock on those Yugoslav used K98k's, most of them have gotten a new, Yugoslavian made barrel when they were refurbished. Those barrels are about 1/2" shorter than the original German barrels. It's best to use a Yugoslav modified(slightly shortened) German stock and handguard on those for the best fit. A good thing since those Yugoslavian used stock sets are usually available. An unmodified German stock, or Russian capture stock set can be used, but the dimensions are a bit off at the bayonet lug and upper band fit on the forward barrel step.