Third Party Press

paul mauser personal rifle

doanl

did paul mauser have a personal rifle whether one of his designs or designs for other people. I assume he was into shooting and I recall someplace and cannot find it now that he used a 9x46r cartridge.

“Yes, Paul was a serious Target shooter and tested out a variety of systems and ammo in the Black powder period. and later . I know of 1 Personal target rifle in 9.5X47 R. that Paul used . This was made up on his little known 1888 systerm his first new concept into the Nitro period. This was a Solid system with Bolt with 2 locking lugs at rear. His military version was tested by the Belgiums but rejected due to Poor ammo as rifle was fine and this resulted in Paul then designing his Model 89 with 2 lugs at front of bolt for Belgium etc. Paul even got directly involved with the Shooting tests required for German and export rifles. Here is image of a test target fired by Paul with his new Turkish Model 90 rifle in 7.65 at a range of 1200 meters. Over the years the Mauser firm offered various target rifles using 95 and 98 type systems from Shortest 98 action ever made to Kurz systerm and normal 98 systems most in 8.15X46R etc. Regards, Jon Speed”

P1110415 C&E.jpg

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back