Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchased my first Karabiner 98K

Default Purchased my first Karabiner 98K

Hello all,

I'm a new Karabiner 98K owner looking for information on my new rifle. Not long ago I decided to start collecting the rifles of WWII. I recently purchased a Karabiner 98K and a Type 99 Arisaka to go with my Winchester and Springfield Armory M1 Garands.

The K98K that I purchased is a numbers matching rifle with no import marks. From my research, the rifle was manufactured in 1940 by Mauser. That is the extent of what I've been able to discover on my own. The person that I bought the rifle from said that it is a Kriegsmarine rifle, but I don't know enough about the markings to determine whether it was issued to the Kriegsmarine or the Heer. What markings identify this rifle as being issued to the Kriegsmarine? I'm attaching a link to an imgur photo album with pics.

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

https://imgur.com/a/rkvsGwo

Here's a photo album of my Type 99 in case any of you are interested in it. It is also numbers matching, no import mark, and the mum is intact.

https://imgur.com/a/XSS8OmG
    Last edited by TexHill; 04-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Looks like a right/good gun from Mauser Borsigwalde in Berlin... So many times, a "new" poster arrives with a rifle that has issues. Congrats/

email => K98@bobinohio.com

The rifle looks pretty good to me. Nice honest wear to it. There is a M stamp in the wood below the circular disk (bolt takedown disk). That M was to show that the rifle was intended for kriegsmarine use. H would have been for the heer (army) or L for luftwaffe (airforce). As Bob states above, when people show case there first k98k rifle on here they are basket cases. This one looks good!

John.

Not sure if you were the purchaser on Feb 25th. If you weren't the description might have some more useful info for you:

Very good condition WWII German 98k Mauser rifle in 8mm Mauser (7.92 x 57) caliber that is marked with code “243” on the receiver for manufacture by Mauser-Werke Borsigwalde and dated 1940. Rifle is NOT import marked and has all matching serial numbers. Rifle shows rare and desirable Kriegsmarine (Navy) use with an “eagle M” property cartouche in the right side buttstock. Metal finish is original blue showing some wear to bright and gray. Bore is fine and bright with strong rifling. Stock has original finish and shows some normal handling marks. Gun is a vet bringback with a repaired duffle cut in the forend under the rear band. Rifle is complete with original front sight and cleaning rod that may be a replacement. A rare Navy marked 98k with all matching numbers that will make an excellent addition to a collection.
    This is a piece that will be of extreme interest to any serious German Rifle collector.

So the "M" on the stock is the only marking that identifies the rifle as being a Kriegsmarine rifle?

Yes about the M. Congrats and welcome to the forum!
    In thanks for you all in the forums, I offer this, albeit small:
    If anyone has any questions regarding garage doors and openers, feel free to ask. Been working on them for years.

Thank you very much for your input and congratulations. I've been wanting a K98K for a while, but I knew better than to go the Mitchell's Mausers route.

Any advice or recommendations in regards to shooting my new to me rifle? Is there a preferred ammo, or are there any manufacturers I should stay away from?

PPU is generally good ammo, and cheap.
    In thanks for you all in the forums, I offer this, albeit small:
    If anyone has any questions regarding garage doors and openers, feel free to ask. Been working on them for years.

Quote Originally Posted by moconfed View Post
    PPU is generally good ammo, and cheap.
    It's good to hear that PPU makes good Mauser ammo because I'm already a fan of their's. I shoot PPU in my Garands because they're one of the few manufacturer that make 30-06 to M2 ball specs.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Welcome! Looks like a nice honest rifle. I shoot both flavors of PPU and like them both. The guys have pretty much covered everything. MB rifle, looks maybe combat carried? The blue ink stamp under the butt is the laminate cure date I believe? 4th day of the 33rd week of 1939?
    Last edited by heavy_mech; 04-15-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: duhh
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"