Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me G98/40

Default New to me G98/40

This is the one that was posted on Facebook. So far I think I found everything on line related to these fine rifles. One thing I am still not certain is how to decipher serial number suffix. From what I am guessing is mine a L suffix? Would that put this rifle as to being made December 1944? From what I can see all numbers match.

The story goes is a gentleman came in to the gunshop with this rifle asking for it to be cleaned and checked out as he was going to sell it to a family member. It was brought home by his dad. The gun shop told me they cleaned the bore some and wiped the metal , I can see it still has some freckling here and there. Inside trigger guard they didn’t touch , so guessing the rest of rifle could have looked like that when it was brought in. I was told the wood was untouched, they knew enough to leave it alone he said. Some tape residue/shadowing on right side. The shop told the son if it does not work out bring it back and they will buy it. Sure enough couple weeks go by and the son brings it back and says it did not work out with family member so he sold it to the shop. Likely the shop paid him more then the relative would.

So here it is, Came with a matching to itself 41 bayonet with 41 frog.
    Last edited by Joezeta; 04-15-2019 at 09:37 PM.

I buy capture paper guns ugafx4's Avatar

Looks fresh out of the closet

Holy smokes! That may be the nicest 98/40 I've seen and not an easy year to find either! Congrats!

Maaaan that’s nice

absolutely nice

Default Tops shelf

White glue stock...stunning...hard to upgrade that one...

Joezeta,
    That's an extremely hard to find, all matching, excellent condition 1944 G98/40. You have a high numbered "L" block. 1944 production started in the low "L" block. Somewhere between 3800 and 4600 range. Production stopped in 1944 approximately 3200 "M" block range. Total estimated produced in 1944 is 14400. 1944 is also the only year that laminated stocks were used on G98/40s. I do believe there has recently been found one late 1943 G98/40 with a matching laminate stock though. Your rifle would have been produced fairly early in 1944. Not sure when Hungary was taken by the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by LTCar2 View Post
    Joezeta,
    That's an extremely hard to find, all matching, excellent condition 1944 G98/40. You have a high numbered "L" block. 1944 production started in the low "L" block. Somewhere between 3800 and 4600 range. Production stopped in 1944 approximately 3200 "M" block range. Total estimated produced in 1944 is 14400. 1944 is also the only year that laminated stocks were used on G98/40s. I do believe there has recently been found one late 1943 G98/40 with a matching laminate stock though. Your rifle would have been produced fairly early in 1944. Not sure when Hungary was taken by the Reds.
    Thanks so much for the info. Still trying to figure this out as I am fairly new to German weapons.

So after mine they produced a “ m “ block ? ould those serial numbers continue after mine sequentially ? Or do they start from zero ?

Confusing for me lol. I thought I read the highest reported serial number for 1944 was 8400?

The G98/40 is the only German military production run that runs sequentially through the years of production. An example is the "b" block of production is only found in 1941. It is not repeated in 42, 43, nor 44. So, production started in the No Letter block in 1941 and ran straight through to productions end in the "m" block in mid 1944. I do not know where you came up with the number 8400??

Quote Originally Posted by LTCar2 View Post
    The G98/40 is the only German military production run that runs sequentially through the years of production. An example is the "b" block of production is only found in 1941. It is not repeated in 42, 43, nor 44. So, production started in the No Letter block in 1941 and ran straight through to productions end in the "m" block in mid 1944. I do not know where you came up with the number 8400??

I got it from this page, I think however I am just interpreting it wrong not knowing how the letter blocks work
    Attached Images Attached Images