Third Party Press

Gew 98 DWM 1914 combat warhorse

What an exceptional Gewehr. Great find and an excellent, methodical job cleaning it, Jordan. I remember seeing one other ‘14 DWM on Gunbroker, then seeing it in person in the hands of a reenactor at Newville. I still cringe thinking about it.

Thanks Cyprus and its good to see you posting again. I hope you as well have come across some nice Gew 98 rifles this year. And yes I believe if I missed this rifle I would have regretted it deeply. That is what Mike kept telling me, if you have a chance on getting a really rare Gewehr go for it!

Regarding cleaning process...

Great job! You mentioned "gently" cleaning the metal and stock. Can you be more specific about your process, materials used, and common mistakes to avoid? As you might guess, I'm new to this! Thanks, and congrats on such a fine and significant rifle!

Sure the main thing is patience the restoration of this rifle took me well over a week. I could have done more to the stock but my wood skills are not up to that level yet. All I did to the stock was wiped it down with a solution called SUPER QUICK CLEAN GUNS. It wipes away dust and dirt off wood without harming the finish or the wood. It's safe for metal finishes, bluing, stocks, plastics, and many more.

The metal was the tricky part. I used Ballistol oil with bronze wool gently on the finish. Bronze wool does not scratch but you have to be gentle. Your lifting the rust out which that can scratch. So you apply, wipe with the oil and wool, wipe off with a soft cloth. Repent again and again. A process that can last many hours. The heavy rust I used a copper penny to remove gently. Picks or Q-tips I used for the smaller parts. The smaller parts that were locked up or was heavily rusted got a nice Kroil oil dip.

The major tools you will need is a nice Brass punch set, Gunsmith screwdriver set, Rubber mallet, brass hammer, Bronze wool, Kroil oil, Ballistol oil, lots of micro cloth towels, and many more.

But the big key is be very patient your trying to undo over 100 years of neglect you have to remember what is restoring and what is over cleaning.

If you ever need advise on Gew98 rifles please ask me.

Here's some links to the items I used.

https://www.superquickcleanguns.com/
https://ballistol.com/about-us/
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...y&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=354-008-000

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the advice! I don't know where I would have gotten it otherwise! So glad I found your forum!

I just purchased my first GEW 98 on Gunbroker a few days ago, a 1917 DWM, and it is going to take a lot of effort. It was "duffle cut," I presume by the GI who brought it back, and missing the hand guard. The finish looks almost black in the photos (I don't have possession yet of course), and there is a chunk of stock missing behind the trigger guard that looks like an arty fragment strike to me. Very dinged and worn, and I do not want to loose that character of the rifle and its history, but I do intent to have a competent gunsmith who is good with woodwork repair the cut stock.

If anyone has any more words of wisdom to a rookie, they would be appreciated!! One question: where hand guards factory marked, or will any birch hand guard do? I am in no hurry, and want to find the correct one. If anyone knows a source, that would also be appreciated. Thanks again! I'll post some photos when I get the rifle.

Really, very excellent work Jordan. You are a worthy caretaker and a credit to the community. Well done. :thumbsup:

May I also recommend that some of the performed restoration techniques/products used by Jordan and others be made into a sticky? I think this would be of great assistance. Hambone?

Loren
(KJ)

Last edited:
Howitzer Boy yes hand guards were matched to the rifles. And they are tough to find in the woodwork. They are actually a fragile item and can break or snap real easy. But some do show up on ebay once in awhile you just have to be patient. Post your 1917 DWM Gew 98 up when you get time and I can tell you more.

And Loren thank you for the kinds words. This one was a fun little project and I so much enjoyed the process of bringing this rifle back. The 1916 Simson Gew 98 is probably my favorite restoration, that rifle was so nasty when I got it and the firing pin was broken. Got the matching factory pin fixed and the rifle shoots like a dream.

Military Rifle Journal
Back