Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: I want to bring back a sporterized 98!

Default Need Advice: I want to bring back a sporterized 98!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the forums! Today I found a sporterized K98 at a local gun shop. I don’t have any pictures as of yet but will make them available tomorrow when I go back. Here’s the deal, the rifle is an all numbers matching rifle, minus the original stock and hardware (it’s now fitted with a sporter stock...). The sights are still on the barrel, but the detainment flange for the upper hand guard has been ground off the rear sight. The bolt handle has been turned down, and would need to be replaced completely as would the rear sight. The rifle still retains all of her original factory marks, and even the swaztikas around the firearm are still present, and not peened out. The rifle looks to have been reblued, which isn’t a deal breaker for me. Here’s the big kicker, the rifle has been tapped on the top of the receiver for an optic...... what do you think I should do? The shop is asking $290 for it, and I intend to restore the rifle to it’s original military condition, as I almost cried to see the old girl sporterized. Should I leave the tapped receiver alone and attempt to mount a correct optic and build a replica sniper? Please send your thoughts, I’m all ears.

Thank you for your time,

Herk1994
    Last edited by Herk1994; 04-16-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herk1994 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

This is my first post to the forums! Today I found a sporterized K98 at a local gun shop. I donít have any pictures as of yet but will make them available tomorrow when I go back. Hereís the deal, the rifle is an all numbers matching rifle, minus the original stock and hardware (itís now fitted with a sporter stock...). The sights are still on the barrel, but the detainment flange for the upper hand guard has been ground off the rear sight. The bolt handle has been turned down, and would need to be replaced completely as would the rear sight. The rifle still retains all of her original factory marks, and even the swaztikas around the firearm are still present, and not peened out. The rifle looks to have been reblued, which isnít a deal breaker for me. Hereís the big kicker, the rifle has been tapped for an optic...... what do you think I should do? The shop is asking $290 for it, and I intend to restore the rifle to itís original military condition, as I almost cried to see the old girl sporterized. Should I leave the tapped receiver alone and attempt to mount a ZF-1 and build a replica sniper? Send your thoughts, Iím all ears.

Thank you for your time,

Herk1994

As much as I appreciate people who bring these rifles back to life, unless this is a VERY rare code, I would look for a better candidate. You say it is matching, but the stock and bands are gone, If the bolt handle has been altered (a K98k originally had a turned down bolt) then th bolt is gone, you need a near rear sight sleeve, the only matching parts will be the receiver, barrel, trigger guard assembly, and what parts you can salvage from the original bolt and rear sight assembly. You are going to end up with a very mismatched rifle. Add to that the reblue, and a drilled and tapped receiver. You are looking at $400. in parts, and that does not include paying a smith to fill the holes in receiver or mount a repro scope, and you can't "fix" a reblue. You could buy a nice bolt only mismatch and be money ahead.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

I have to agree with the above advice.. and I've gone down this rabbit hole several times already so I'm not speaking from a lack of experience. I too was drawn to the challenge and desire to 'restore' these rifles to their former status. Unless you already have a wealth of spare parts you not only will not come out ahead financially, but you'll still have a rifle that's much less desirable to collectors because of the re-blue and scope holes. Honestly just not worth it.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in spšteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie KŁssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben mŁssen"

But $290 is not a bad price and could make for a good entry into K98 world. As beginners tend to overdo a thing or two in their efforts to "make her pretty again", a sporter would be training grounds to learn the tools of the trade. I would go for it.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

The sun is getting low in the sky for finding a good stock, if you buy it I'd start there. Ranger1 here in our group HAD some really nice ones. may be one or two left. Otherwise it's a total minefield of refurbs out there. And by minefield I don't mean merely anti-personnel , I mean one anti-tank w/3 anti-p clusters.. lol

You'll pay as much for a stock set as you will for the rifle, that's before you even start replacing bolt and sight parts. Tough call.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Hereís the thing, I have no intention of re-selling the rifle. Iíve got a K98 already, but Iíd like to acquire another. This would simply be a project for me, while at the same time I get the pleasure of bringing a poor rifle back to life. Thanks for the advice everyone, this forum is awesome!

I'd never take on a run of the mill project rifle that is that far gone. If it's just a parts swapping exercise I have unsportered a few, but drilled & tapped and reblued is a deal breaker for me. It would have to be something very rare to tackle in the condition you describe, not to mention a lot cheaper base price.

What if I were to purchase a repro ZF-39? The mounts would at least cover up those dang holes in the receiver.... I know Iím being stubborn here lol

About the cheapest to refit it close to what it started life as, would be to pick up a stockset from ebay or somewhere along with a rear sight base, but be prepared- you'll have to remove and replace the front sight assembly at the same time, and they're soldered on.
    As to the holes, accumounts split ring turrets will cover them.
    290 for the rifle.
    200 for the mounts.
    250-300 for the stock, handguard, both bands, retaining spring, and sight base.
    Gunsmith labor to switch the sights out, plus drill and tap the correct holes for the mounts- estimate 200(semi educated guess)
    That's a pretty decent chunk of cash to lay out for a mismatched monster that you'll lose money on if you ever sell it.

Personally, I'd wait until something better showed up, but it's your money.
    In thanks for you all in the forums, I offer this, albeit small:
    If anyone has any questions regarding garage doors and openers, feel free to ask. Been working on them for 25 years.