Third Party Press

Czech K98 Question

Herk1994

Hello All,

I’ve got a Czech K98 that was sold to me by a shop that thought it was a VZ24, and it was sitting in an Israeli stock marked 7.62, although it had not actually been re-barreled. It is a mix match gun, although it still looks pretty for a fun and shootable rifle. From the research I’ve done, I’ve concluded that it is indeed a Czech made K98, most likely Russian captured, and I redressed the rifle in a proper laminate stock and replaced the sights, as it had previously been owned by what I can only refer to as a “kitchen table top” gunsmith, I’ll let your imagination run wild thinking about what kind of work this guy did on the rifle (he used a cut down nail to secure the forward barrel band). My question for you guys concerns the code on the barrel. The gun has been scrubbed, minus the side marking on the receiver for the BRNO factory, and the markings under the stock line on the barrel (the bottom). It is marked DOT 13 in a shield, and with L O to the right of said shield with a Waffenamt (I regretfully forgot what number the amt is off the top of my head). Do any of you know the markings? I don’t have a book, and my research online has led me towards speculation and dead ends....

Thanks!

Here’s a picture of the K98 in question next to my Yugo, after I did my number on it.

Attachments

• EDB965E7-BE2C-400B-ABA0-913DC7E92015.jpg
    EDB965E7-BE2C-400B-ABA0-913DC7E92015.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 63
Could you back up further to take more pictures? Jeez.
Sounds like a postwar Czech. Any small lions on the left side of receiver ring?

Could you back up further to take more pictures? Jeez.
Sounds like a postwar Czech. Any small lions on the left side of receiver ring?

It’s got a Waffenamt under the barrel, so the barrel itself at least is definitely not post war, here’s the only other picture I have at the moment. There are small lions present on the receiver at least, again, I’m not sure on the barrel. My apologies for coming to a forum like this with limited information!

Attachments

• DA339C18-65F6-4806-A9D6-567154677487.jpg
    DA339C18-65F6-4806-A9D6-567154677487.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 50
  • C6252384-D849-4D96-A75E-17C643ACE029.jpg
    C6252384-D849-4D96-A75E-17C643ACE029.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 48
Receiver siderail czech marked, dot13 shield on barrel, and was originally in a 7.62 marked stock?
Post war Czech assembled 98k sent to israel for their military.

I have a very similar rifle. Mine was an early post-war Brno marked K98 still in 8mm in an Israeli 7.62-marked stock. These may have been sold that way by Samco, who at one time offered surplus K98 barreled actions and for something like an extra 10 bucks they would throw in a surplus stock. The cut down nail holding the front band may actually be the original Israeli hardware, which used a pin through the band to secure it to the forend of the stock.

I'm going to agree with the previous assessments. Rampant lion on receiver definitely post war. No doubts. That barrel is really late. Shield 13 is last iteration of Brunn I house barrels and LO steel lot is real late. Mike could probably tell you the month. :laugh:

I forgot to mention that my Brno K98 also has an LO code/DOT 13 barrel. The receiver crest is scrubbed but it's Brno rollmarked on the side rail.

Military Rifle Journal
Back