Third Party Press

Found an 1895 Spandau Gew88 Barreled Receiver, Worth Building?

ZakBradshaw

I have picked up barreled receivers cheap occasionally for project rifles because I enjoy learning about the history and searching for the parts. This is one I forgot I had. The receiver is marked Spandau 1895 Gew88. There is an “S” above the Spandau. It is just a barrel and receiver, no bolt/stock/trigger guard/barrel sleeve/etc. Is it worth it to build this one or will the parts cost be double or triple what it’s worth? The factory bluing is completely gone. If I do this one, I might have it refinished and make it appear new since it’s in such poor shape.

If all you have is a barrel and receiver, these items were not blued in Imperial service.

When the South American imports were cheap, they were worth more scratch as parts than complete rifles. Parted out and left with nothing but a barreled receiver. I have literally used a b/r as a tomato stake, just for grins. Another was wired into the rebar of a foundation meant for a basement vault. I have a few I'm saving for a display of cut-aways to show the progression of the various feeding/stripper clip systems (88, 88/05, 88/14).

Same thing happened to a lot of the junky 71/84's.

Unless it has sentimental value, or you're really dedicated with $$ to burn, it ain't worth it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back