Third Party Press
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G98 update 1935

Default G98 update 1935

Hello

From North France

Note the side hood installed after 1935, by whom?

Best Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mores pictures

I see several depot marks, any could have done that. One is SuWW which is Spandau, they probably did the rear sight conversion. The more interesting one to me is the wrist "H.N.Za Da" which is HeeresNebenZeugamt Darmstadt, which is near Frankfurt. Either way, it could also have been done much later during WW2 by anyone, you will probably never know.
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Have you a right receiver picture?

I agree it looks like a couple visits, some of the work is early than others, the stock looks like it might be original (Danzig/17) right acceptance and features anyway, though more pictures of the stock would be helpful here. A pretty nice rifle from the looks of it and i have never seen that HNZa acceptance on a rifle before.

Thanks

By observing the details of the stock I just noticed a marking LK5 on the (left butt marqued at bottom) , photo to come

Guess I’m blind, I don’t see an lk5 marking. Can you point it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Interesting for many reasons and thanks for sharing? Any theories as to where this rifle may have been hiding? Sees it had a long service life and several trips to a depot for modernization right? Early work included the rear sight update as Mike pointed out and then after '41 fitted for a hood at minimum. I don't see anything glaring that hints of additional work during the 2nd depot visit?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

This rifle almost certainly was hidden throughout the Republican period, certainly not in inventory early as no property marking and far to clean for a rifle that saw training or in the service of a republican era soldier. Possibly a black rifle, the Reichsheer held stores of illegal rifles, largely caches hidden in the east, these were largely used to train and equip paramilitary groups (periodically), mostly right wing ones sympathetic to the Reichsheer (not nazis generally, they weren't right wing and they certainly didn't care for the Aristocracy, conservative-bureaucratic-religious elements, Republic or even the leadership in the Reichswehr), but pro-Republic paramilitary groups were involved also, especially in EP.

The only things that look replaced is the bolt, RS, follower, the RB with a modified wide band, and handguard. HZa Spandau probably did the majority of this work, probably late 1930's, the HNZa possibly the hood and handguard? Perhaps just inventoried it, often rifles pass through depots with almost no sign of work, this rifle hard to say, we do not see the TG, the but big ticket items (barrel/stock) are original, only the bolt replaced and it is pre-war style (nazi era they were spendthrifts, like our government thrift and frugality are the worse form of profanity... much after 1941 most G98's passing through a depot, with any serious problem, got scrapped or a facelift to 98k, basically recycling the receiver)

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    Guess I’m blind, I don’t see an lk5 marking. Can you point it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did not have photo's of this LK5 , I just make it

thank you for your analysis Loewe

Receveir, Barrel and bolt are reblued
    Last edited by JACKDANIELS; 04-20-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Not sure what to make of the partial eagle stamps on the rearsight sleeve, this sort of thing is not done, makes me suspicious, though I see nothing else that looks tampered with. When i saw them earlier it looked like stray dings or partial dents, never considered them being eagles...

LK5 is interesting, from my limited trends (very limited, hardly over a dozen) G98's make up half the observations, the rest a mix of 98k & French rifles. Maybe these clowns were responsible: