Third Party Press
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Germanic Script S Stamp. Early SS mark?

Default Germanic Script S Stamp. Early SS mark?

Hey guys, I've posted my rifle a few years ago and worked out it's an example of an early Luftwaffe 1937 Matching laminated stock with bolt m/m, but what i'd like to know is what's with the double ''Script'' S under the receiver ''SS'' Double stamped. and one on the bolt extractor? There is a skull under the pistolgrip. Not a Totenkopf but an early ss style 'slimmer skull' (Never got an answer on that). There's also a 1 stamped under the receiver and on the rear of the sight leaf, and on the cocking piece of the bolt. The bolt serial ends in 1. Is that an Armoury thing to match it to the rifle? I believe it's an armoury replacement bolt and a few guys on here said previously it appears to be one. I thought the stamp under the Receiver was an 'I' or an 'L' with a double stamped 44'' but up the other way it's a 1. I thought the stamp on the rear of the sightleaf was a 'Z' But I believe it's actually also a '1' better resolution cameras and a jewelers magnifier have helped me see much more detail. Ps. What's with the two 'P'stamps on the upper stock? I understand there's many unknowns but surely someone has something to add. Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Funkel; 04-22-2019 at 04:22 AM.

I tried to post A few more Higher Pixel pics but they're too large. The upper sling is un-numbered but is 623 Waffenamt stamped. And has an Odd Czech VZ-24 style sling loop. attached to it, weird thing is there's a shrapnel chunk in the loop and the stock suggesting is was put on and in battle whilst being put on backwards the band spring is completely unmarked but upper hand guard still number matches the rifle. The rear of the stock has a swivel sling also. Both original Sling slot and added loop smell strongly of leather and sweat.
    Last edited by Funkel; 04-18-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

Hello! Can you show us the markings on the top and sides of the receiver too please? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem. The side of the stock by the pistol grip has a Luftwaffe Eagle I knew it was a stamp previously but couldn't see the detail. It has a star on the barrel a backward small c with two punch marks like this. //. if you look under the pistol grip at the top there's a small eagle with Waa63, then at the bottom there's a symmetrical skull with an X (Crossbones or swords etc) not a Totenkopf skull but an earlier ss skull or sharpshooter skull. Attached are pics for reference. Oh btw there's a small squiggle backwards S below the star (the star is midway down the barrel.) Sry pics are all outta order.
    Last edited by Funkel; 04-18-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkel View Post
    No problem. The side of the stock by the pistol grip has a Luftwaffe Eagle I knew it was a stamp previously but couldn't see the detail. It has a star on the barrel a backward small c with two punch marks like this. //. if you look under the pistol grip at the top there's a small eagle with Waa63, then at the bottom there's a symmetrical skull with an X (Crossbones or swords etc) not a Totenkopf skull but an earlier ss skull or sharpshooter skull. Attached are pics for reference. Oh btw there's a small squiggle backwards S below the star (the star is midway down the barrel.) Sry pics are all outta order.
    Here's the Rest of the Marks on the Bolt. If I remember correctly someone said the bolt appears to be 1935? The bolt Serial is 5321 rifle is S/42 962y But both are stamped with a 1 and the script S only under the receiver has 2x SS, Many are Imperial type proofs and the firing pin has K167 21 and an S No waffenamts other than the K167. The Extractor is Marked 21 with waf214 to match the cocking piece and the bolt but has an imperial type crown Proof, and has an Imperial M & N With an X. The bolt itself is S42 and waffenamt63 marked. With an Eagle clutching a swastika on the rear of the handle. Some of you may remember the markings I never really got much of an answer as some of the stamps are rare. Admins feel free to move if there's a more appropriate section been awhile since I used the Forum.
    Last edited by Funkel; 04-18-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Anyone wanna give me any info at all? Like even : ''dude you're insane the ss only used Runes to mark rifles'', or ''How odd never seen that before?'' Anything? It is an Early Laminated stock prototype so I understand there isn't much to reference it to. But are any of the Marks Possibly Czech? After all, the sling loops look like Czech ones. But like what is the inverted arrow mark under the receiver almost a >< not a k or an x with a nodule on the end of one of the arrows? And what's with the overlapping CC's? Why the hell is there a Soviet looking star on the barrel? I've seen in the K98 book an ss Skull stamp with a star and 2SS. Could this be an early secretive code stamped rifle? Top of a Backward c or possibly the top of a 2 with // and a star? With ~ Under the star? I've also seen the ss skull in the book with a ~ mark. Or is their literally that little amount of info that it's an unknown? I never even knew it was Luftwaffe for about a year and never noticed the skull and waffenamt under the Pistol grip until after around 2 years of owning it. Chime in surely someone knows something? I understand the waffenamt 623' Sling loop was an ss Armourer parts manufacturer. So did in the early days the ss use Script S's to mark rifles? Or is that just a code to match the Bolt and just coincidence that it's double ss stamped under the Receiver. But then WTF Is with the weird skull under the pistol grip? Surely that's an early ss mark. :/

Default Wtf???

No idea how I got the link for the Books... :/ but cheers! Really confused I never clicked any link? I'll be pissed if I don't find some answers in there coz shipping was a bastard! Haha. I bought every other K98 book avail but I don't think you guys had compiled the volumes last time I Enquired. Thanks. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMu8BuNc6XE&t=1s link to firing a 79 yr old round through it. I wrote $5 but it's more like $15 over here. Just as well the box was opened and contained 14 rounds. Well 13 now. Yes I took over 20 secs to aim but I didn't want to miss! Lmao. Thanks. Still appreciate any comments on the OP.
    Last edited by Funkel; 04-19-2019 at 02:39 PM.

I wish I could help you on this rifle but I really like that helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by moosedog View Post
    I wish I could help you on this rifle but I really like that helmet.
    lol. Funny man. Yeah it is a ripper tho aye. It seems as though that early ss Skulls werel frontal profile and later versions were on an angle. I'd like to know if this is legit. Seems to fancy to be on the front. But I guess when death is your life you're gonna represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkel View Post
    lol. Funny man. Yeah it is a ripper tho aye. It seems as though that early ss Skulls werel frontal profile and later versions were on an angle. I'd like to know if this is legit. Seems to fancy to be on the front. But I guess when death is your life you're gonna represent.
    The painted helmet is probably intended to mimic a WWl era storm trooper symbol, noting to do with the later SS. As to your rifle, I think all the markings pictured are either assembly marks, or maker marks. It would be good to see an overall view of the rifle, but the rear sling swivel inlet into the stock indicates your rifle, or at least the stock, was utilized post war, probably in eastern europe. At least on my screen, all the stock marks are to indistinct to make any definitive call, but I don' at see anything to indicate SS use.
    Last edited by runner; 04-19-2019 at 08:28 PM.