Third Party Press

Germanic Script S Stamp. Early SS mark?

Funkel

Hey guys, I've posted my rifle a few years ago and worked out it's an example of an early Luftwaffe 1937 Matching laminated stock with bolt m/m, but what i'd like to know is what's with the double ''Script'' S under the receiver ''SS'' Double stamped. and one on the bolt extractor? There is a skull under the pistolgrip. Not a Totenkopf but an early ss style 'slimmer skull' (Never got an answer on that). There's also a 1 stamped under the receiver and on the rear of the sight leaf, and on the cocking piece of the bolt. The bolt serial ends in 1. Is that an Armoury thing to match it to the rifle? I believe it's an armoury replacement bolt and a few guys on here said previously it appears to be one. I thought the stamp under the Receiver was an 'I' or an 'L' with a double stamped 44'' but up the other way it's a 1. I thought the stamp on the rear of the sightleaf was a 'Z' But I believe it's actually also a '1' better resolution cameras and a jewelers magnifier have helped me see much more detail. Ps. What's with the two 'P'stamps on the upper stock? I understand there's many unknowns but surely someone has something to add. Cheers.

Attachments

• DSC06661.jpg
    DSC06661.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC06660.jpg
    DSC06660.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC06653.jpg
    DSC06653.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC06650.jpg
    DSC06650.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC06649.jpg
    DSC06649.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC06639.jpg
    DSC06639.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 1 0N REAR OF COCKING PIECE.jpg
    1 0N REAR OF COCKING PIECE.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 61
  • S ON BOLT EXTRACTOR.jpg
    S ON BOLT EXTRACTOR.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC02915.jpg
    DSC02915.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC06615.jpg
    DSC06615.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 64
  • GERMAN SCRIPT S.jpg
    GERMAN SCRIPT S.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC02766.jpg
    DSC02766.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I tried to post A few more Higher Pixel pics but they're too large. The upper sling is un-numbered but is 623 Waffenamt stamped. And has an Odd Czech VZ-24 style sling loop. attached to it, weird thing is there's a shrapnel chunk in the loop and the stock suggesting is was put on and in battle whilst being put on backwards the band spring is completely unmarked but upper hand guard still number matches the rifle. The rear of the stock has a swivel sling also. Both original Sling slot and added loop smell strongly of leather and sweat.

Attachments

• DSC02730.jpg
    DSC02730.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC02549.jpg
    DSC02549.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC02559.jpg
    DSC02559.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC02732.jpg
    DSC02732.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02726.jpg
    DSC02726.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02727.jpg
    DSC02727.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC02738.jpg
    DSC02738.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC02742.jpg
    DSC02742.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Hello! Can you show us the markings on the top and sides of the receiver too please? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem. The side of the stock by the pistol grip has a Luftwaffe Eagle I knew it was a stamp previously but couldn't see the detail. It has a star on the barrel a backward small c with two punch marks like this. //. if you look under the pistol grip at the top there's a small eagle with Waa63, then at the bottom there's a symmetrical skull with an X (Crossbones or swords etc) not a Totenkopf skull but an earlier ss skull or sharpshooter skull. Attached are pics for reference. Oh btw there's a small squiggle backwards S below the star (the star is midway down the barrel.) Sry pics are all outta order.

Attachments

• DSC02774.jpg
    DSC02774.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC02773.jpg
    DSC02773.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 60
  • SIDE OF RECEIVER.jpg
    SIDE OF RECEIVER.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 81
  • SIDE OF RECEIVER 2.jpg
    SIDE OF RECEIVER 2.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 52
  • PISTOL GRIP SKULL X.jpg
    PISTOL GRIP SKULL X.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 58
  • skull helmet wtf.jpg
    skull helmet wtf.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 80
  • scharfsch_tze.jpg
    scharfsch_tze.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 64
  • k98 star stamp.jpg
    k98 star stamp.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 59
  • pistol grip edit.jpg
    pistol grip edit.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 75
  • lufwaffe L edit.jpg
    lufwaffe L edit.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 61
  • k98 edit 2.jpg
    k98 edit 2.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
No problem. The side of the stock by the pistol grip has a Luftwaffe Eagle I knew it was a stamp previously but couldn't see the detail. It has a star on the barrel a backward small c with two punch marks like this. //. if you look under the pistol grip at the top there's a small eagle with Waa63, then at the bottom there's a symmetrical skull with an X (Crossbones or swords etc) not a Totenkopf skull but an earlier ss skull or sharpshooter skull. Attached are pics for reference. Oh btw there's a small squiggle backwards S below the star (the star is midway down the barrel.) Sry pics are all outta order.

Here's the Rest of the Marks on the Bolt. If I remember correctly someone said the bolt appears to be 1935? The bolt Serial is 5321 rifle is S/42 962y But both are stamped with a 1 and the script S only under the receiver has 2x SS, Many are Imperial type proofs and the firing pin has K167 21 and an S No waffenamts other than the K167. The Extractor is Marked 21 with waf214 to match the cocking piece and the bolt but has an imperial type crown Proof, and has an Imperial M & N With an X. The bolt itself is S42 and waffenamt63 marked. With an Eagle clutching a swastika on the rear of the handle. Some of you may remember the markings I never really got much of an answer as some of the stamps are rare. Admins feel free to move if there's a more appropriate section been awhile since I used the Forum.

Attachments

• DSC02908.jpg
    DSC02908.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02910.jpg
    DSC02910.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02913.jpg
    DSC02913.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02914.jpg
    DSC02914.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02915.jpg
    DSC02915.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02917.jpg
    DSC02917.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02919.jpg
    DSC02919.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC02982.jpg
    DSC02982.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC02984.jpg
    DSC02984.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02921.jpg
    DSC02921.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC02924.jpg
    DSC02924.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02928.jpg
    DSC02928.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC02930.jpg
    DSC02930.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Anyone wanna give me any info at all? Like even : ''dude you're insane the ss only used Runes to mark rifles'', or ''How odd never seen that before?'' Anything? It is an Early Laminated stock prototype so I understand there isn't much to reference it to. But are any of the Marks Possibly Czech? After all, the sling loops look like Czech ones. But like what is the inverted arrow mark under the receiver almost a >< not a k or an x with a nodule on the end of one of the arrows? And what's with the overlapping CC's? Why the hell is there a Soviet looking star on the barrel? I've seen in the K98 book an ss Skull stamp with a star and 2SS. Could this be an early secretive code stamped rifle? Top of a Backward c or possibly the top of a 2 with // and a star? With ~ Under the star? I've also seen the ss skull in the book with a ~ mark. Or is their literally that little amount of info that it's an unknown? I never even knew it was Luftwaffe for about a year and never noticed the skull and waffenamt under the Pistol grip until after around 2 years of owning it. Chime in surely someone knows something? I understand the waffenamt 623' Sling loop was an ss Armourer parts manufacturer. So did in the early days the ss use Script S's to mark rifles? Or is that just a code to match the Bolt and just coincidence that it's double ss stamped under the Receiver. But then WTF Is with the weird skull under the pistol grip? Surely that's an early ss mark. :/

Wtf???

No idea how I got the link for the Books... :/ but cheers! Really confused I never clicked any link? I'll be pissed if I don't find some answers in there coz shipping was a bastard! Haha. I bought every other K98 book avail but I don't think you guys had compiled the volumes last time I Enquired. Thanks. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMu8BuNc6XE&t=1s link to firing a 79 yr old round through it. I wrote $5 but it's more like $15 over here. Just as well the box was opened and contained 14 rounds. Well 13 now. Yes I took over 20 secs to aim but I didn't want to miss! Lmao. Thanks. Still appreciate any comments on the OP.

Last edited:
I wish I could help you on this rifle but I really like that helmet.

lol. Funny man. Yeah it is a ripper tho aye. It seems as though that early ss Skulls werel frontal profile and later versions were on an angle. I'd like to know if this is legit. Seems to fancy to be on the front. But I guess when death is your life you're gonna represent.

Attachments

• ww1 stormtrooper helmet.jpg
    ww1 stormtrooper helmet.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 59
lol. Funny man. Yeah it is a ripper tho aye. It seems as though that early ss Skulls werel frontal profile and later versions were on an angle. I'd like to know if this is legit. Seems to fancy to be on the front. But I guess when death is your life you're gonna represent.

The painted helmet is probably intended to mimic a WWl era storm trooper symbol, noting to do with the later SS. As to your rifle, I think all the markings pictured are either assembly marks, or maker marks. It would be good to see an overall view of the rifle, but the rear sling swivel inlet into the stock indicates your rifle, or at least the stock, was utilized post war, probably in eastern europe. At least on my screen, all the stock marks are to indistinct to make any definitive call, but I don' at see anything to indicate SS use.

Last edited:
The painted helmet is probably intended to mimic a WWl era storm trooper symbol, noting to do with the later SS. As to your rifle, I think all the markings pictured are either assembly marks, or maker marks. It would be good to see an overall view of the rifle, but the rear sling swivel inlet into the stock indicates your rifle, or at least the stock, was utilized post war, probably in eastern europe. At least on my screen, all the stock marks are to indistinct to make any definitive call, but I don' at see anything to indicate SS use.

The stock matches the Rifle. Why would they double punch the Script S under the receiver? And does it mean the bolt has been stamped to match it with both the no:1 and the S appearing on both the bolt and Receiver? Also there is an Elongated skull with crossed bones,swords or Rifles under the Pistolgrip and a Waffenamt with Waa63 up above it It is very hard to make out as they're faded, but looking at it with a magnifier and in good light by eye you can see it. And the Upper sling loop/lower band has a Shrapnel chunk from battle suggesting it was like that during the war, but definitely being used with a different sling for sure. If you want a Detailed look here's a YT Vid of every numbered/marked part. Only the Bolt, Lower band and Band spring are non matching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLhRN9rft0&t=2s There's Part 2 of the vid also. The Guys on here a few years ago said all replaced parts appear to be Armoury replaced parts. I can't find a copy of the script S anywhere online.

Attachments

• k98 good pic2.jpg
    k98 good pic2.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC02549.jpg
    DSC02549.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 39
  • waa63 pistol grip.jpg
    waa63 pistol grip.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I totally see that skull. Looks more like a pirate skull to me though, maybe the rifle was war booty from pirate ships? All those stamps too, I mean every dent and ding looks like a letter I think, maybe they got stamp happy there. Double script S’s are usually indicative of the higher order SS, either that or Sauer & Sohn.

Check out my grilled cheese sammich I made today, can you see Mary in there?

1fa198fa3b1b0c9c19c8853afd76951f.jpg

I totally see that skull. Looks more like a pirate skull to me though, maybe the rifle was war booty from pirate ships? All those stamps too, I mean every dent and ding looks like a letter I think, maybe they got stamp happy there. Double script S’s are usually indicative of the higher order SS, either that or Sauer & Sohn.

Totally ebay that shite bro, but Jesus toast is better. Yes it does look like a pirate one. Maybe it is a figment of my imagination. Thanks for making me Sauer Sohn. That makes SSense to me.

All toast aside, so the 214 marked bolt lock and The S and 214 on the extractor Would also Be Sauer & Sohn? You Got a link to S&S Imperial Proof marks? So would it then suggest the bolt was period replaced by S&S? Or Field replaced being that the Bolt itself is S/42 marked? I'm so confuscious.. :/ Tell me pls Mr Obi... What's with the Wan on the Bolt/Sightleaf and Receiver.... Or you going to make me read every page of the k98 Books and search the net for months to find wtf it is... I know you know. Be nice it's Easter. :) Also would the Bolt sleeve with M N In Fraktur be from Sauer & Sohn & Did they use that script all the way through the war?

Last edited:
Finally Found my ss toaster.

Lmao. Holy shite. Only in Amurica surely. Even a Waffle Iron. $100 postage no doubt.

Attachments

• FC_St_Pauli_waffle_iron_Skull_black-7927_0.jpg
    FC_St_Pauli_waffle_iron_Skull_black-7927_0.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 17
  • skull toast.jpg
    skull toast.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 23
  • skulltoast.jpg
    skulltoast.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 19

It looks more like Fay Wray. Have you had any inclination to make a big motion picture and all you need is a really BIG sensation that will shock the world??

Don’t worry boys, that chain is made of chrome-vanadium steel! Not even the Red Army could get outta that!!

*pop*

Well....... shite.

That double “S” looks like a bounce to me, that is to say that the person let the stamp bounce back down with enough force to make a double impression.

The vast majority of the markings you see on the bottom of your receiver are various inspections that the receiver/rifle went through. We may never know what they signify.

As far as the skull on the stock, it’s very difficult to make out anything there. Someone with more knowledge than I will have to pass or fail that marking. “SS” stuff is heavily faked, so that must be kept in mind.

Military Rifle Journal
Back