Third Party Press
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Germanic Script S Stamp. Early SS mark?

Quote Originally Posted by runner View Post
    The painted helmet is probably intended to mimic a WWl era storm trooper symbol, noting to do with the later SS. As to your rifle, I think all the markings pictured are either assembly marks, or maker marks. It would be good to see an overall view of the rifle, but the rear sling swivel inlet into the stock indicates your rifle, or at least the stock, was utilized post war, probably in eastern europe. At least on my screen, all the stock marks are to indistinct to make any definitive call, but I don' at see anything to indicate SS use.
    The stock matches the Rifle. Why would they double punch the Script S under the receiver? And does it mean the bolt has been stamped to match it with both the no:1 and the S appearing on both the bolt and Receiver? Also there is an Elongated skull with crossed bones,swords or Rifles under the Pistolgrip and a Waffenamt with Waa63 up above it It is very hard to make out as they're faded, but looking at it with a magnifier and in good light by eye you can see it. And the Upper sling loop/lower band has a Shrapnel chunk from battle suggesting it was like that during the war, but definitely being used with a different sling for sure. If you want a Detailed look here's a YT Vid of every numbered/marked part. Only the Bolt, Lower band and Band spring are non matching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLhRN9rft0&t=2s There's Part 2 of the vid also. The Guys on here a few years ago said all replaced parts appear to be Armoury replaced parts. I can't find a copy of the script S anywhere online.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Funkel; 04-21-2019 at 12:10 AM.

I totally see that skull. Looks more like a pirate skull to me though, maybe the rifle was war booty from pirate ships? All those stamps too, I mean every dent and ding looks like a letter I think, maybe they got stamp happy there. Double script Ss are usually indicative of the higher order SS, either that or Sauer & Sohn.

Check out my grilled cheese sammich I made today, can you see Mary in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Order the new K98k book at www.thirdpartypress.com
    Don't forget to visit www.latewar.com for info on late war 98k's.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfarb View Post
    I totally see that skull. Looks more like a pirate skull to me though, maybe the rifle was war booty from pirate ships? All those stamps too, I mean every dent and ding looks like a letter I think, maybe they got stamp happy there. Double script Ss are usually indicative of the higher order SS, either that or Sauer & Sohn.

Totally ebay that shit bro, but Jesus toast is better. Yes it does look like a pirate one. Maybe it is a figment of my imagination. Thanks for making me Sauer Sohn. That makes SSense to me.

Cool

I totally see that skull. Looks more like a pirate skull to me though, maybe the rifle was war booty from pirate ships? All those stamps too, I mean every dent and ding looks like a letter I think, maybe they got stamp happy there. Double script S’s are usually indicative of the higher order SS, either that or Sauer & Sohn.

All toast aside, so the 214 marked bolt lock and The S and 214 on the extractor Would also Be Sauer & Sohn? You Got a link to S&S Imperial Proof marks? So would it then suggest the bolt was period replaced by S&S? Or Field replaced being that the Bolt itself is S/42 marked? I'm so confuscious.. :/ Tell me pls Mr Obi... What's with the Wan on the Bolt/Sightleaf and Receiver.... Or you going to make me read every page of the k98 Books and search the net for months to find wtf it is... I know you know. Be nice it's Easter. Also would the Bolt sleeve with M N In Fraktur be from Sauer & Sohn & Did they use that script all the way through the war?
    Last edited by Funkel; 04-21-2019 at 03:32 PM.

Hey Buddy, is that an E/4 in your pocket?

I am looking at a rifle tomorrow with an "S" stamping as well.

smark.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post

smark.jpg
    That sir is an S. Not a crazy ass squiggly $, but certainly an S.

Default Finally Found my ss toaster.

Lmao. Holy shit. Only in Amurica surely. Even a Waffle Iron. $100 postage no doubt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keeper of the Def's Head M1903A3's Avatar

It looks more like Fay Wray. Have you had any inclination to make a big motion picture and all you need is a really BIG sensation that will shock the world??

Dont worry boys, that chain is made of chrome-vanadium steel! Not even the Red Army could get outta that!!

*pop*

Well....... shit.

Quote Originally Posted by mowzerluvr View Post

smark.jpg
    Now what might THAT be??? ......

That double S looks like a bounce to me, that is to say that the person let the stamp bounce back down with enough force to make a double impression.

The vast majority of the markings you see on the bottom of your receiver are various inspections that the receiver/rifle went through. We may never know what they signify.

As far as the skull on the stock, its very difficult to make out anything there. Someone with more knowledge than I will have to pass or fail that marking. SS stuff is heavily faked, so that must be kept in mind.