Third Party Press
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Germanic Script S Stamp. Early SS mark?

Quote Originally Posted by heavy_mech View Post
    A fair amount is known about barrels. They were either 100% made 'in house', supplied as blanks and finished in house (the most common scenario) or supplied as finished barrels. The entire barrel code is stamped radially around the base. You show dsh and e/623 x2. There is more in between. The e/623 is probably 3 and it was finished by Steyr.
    It only has a serial under there...?
    Attached Images Attached Images

A fair amount is known about barrels. They were either 100% made 'in house', supplied as blanks and finished in house (the most common scenario) or supplied as finished barrels. The entire barrel code is stamped radially around the base. You show dsh and e/623 x2. There is more in between. The e/623 is probably 3 and it was finished by Steyr.
    Hey mate, the 623 stamped ss barrel was just for an example of the same star. So has mine been re-barreled? Coz The serial underneath doesn't match? Or was the barrel just supplied from elsewhere? It's an S/42 Obendorf marked receiver and the receiver and barrel are both marked with the same E/962 serial so i'm confused. :/ The stick Eagles are below the rear sight R side Whilst the Weimar style 4x are underneath the rear left side of the barrel. I can't find in the books or online what the hell my barrel code actually is. Other than the barrel serial it has, the 'Contract rifle' star and a bunch of other random stamps that just happen to match ss Armourer marks but without the skull n bones. The star, the 1 the c// and it has a lightly stamped ~ , also a H under the receiver with the double Fraktur $ + all the other weird stamps. the 1 and overstamped 44 makes me think it had some repair/parts replacement in Jan44' possibly at Sauer n Sohn. There is a 12 and an f that what appear to be scribed onto the barrel with some kind of marker. The stock also has a 12 in front of the floorplate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Funkel View Post
    Hey mate, the 623 stamped ss barrel was just for an example of the same star. So has mine been re-barreled? Coz The serial underneath doesn't match? Or was the barrel just supplied from elsewhere? It's an S/42 Obendorf marked receiver and the receiver and barrel are both marked with the same E/962 serial so i'm confused. :/ The stick Eagles are below the rear sight R side Whilst the Weimar style 4x are underneath the rear left side of the barrel..
    So many different pictures and rifles got me confused....

Your rifle has not been re-barreled. 962y and Nazi Eagle firing proof on both. Barrel was probably made just slightly earlier at MO. Transitional year for marking.

I found you posted this in 2012 in Bruce's w block in the pic stickies. Mike's rifle in post #17 has had the barrel replaced. 0,2 on the shoulder, 2nd firing proof.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

So many different pictures and rifles got me confused....

Your rifle has not been re-barreled. 962y and Nazi Eagle firing proof on both. Barrel was probably made just slightly earlier at MO. Transitional year for marking.

I found you posted this in 2012 in Bruce's w block in the pic stickies. Mike's rifle in post #17 has had the barrel replaced. 0,2 on the shoulder, 2nd firing proof.
    K, cheers mate yeah was a while back I had no idea how or where to find where I posted it. Not in any of my folders it's been so long. So it's most likely an in house MO barrel..? But with weird stamps for the lam prototype? Also it's y series if that matters.