Third Party Press

Re-issued effect on helmet value/going prices

bowietx

Is there a rule of thumb on the effect on valuation of a re-issued helmet? I know that a litany of variables are probably at play, but I am not looking at a specific helmet so just a general query. On the same topic what are ball park values for plain Jane m40/35 heer helmets? Thank you in advance and understood if an answer is not possible.

Solid question which has a definite answer. We are addressing 100% original helmets, original liners, not all oiled up, cleaned paint, with original chinstrap and tie string. Starting with a standard M.40 Heer helmet, with decent paint and decal (85%+ on both), the price goes from about $650 to $1500. You reach the higher end with more original paint finish, more decal, and of course, if the helmet is named with a feldpost nr. that adds to it. The M.35s were primarily issued in parade finish with double decals until 1940. Some M.35s were issued as M.40s. Many M.35s were simply overpainted, leaving the original eagle decal (the national colors had been ordered removed in 1940), or some were overpainted and new Heer decals added. A M.35 rework like this is about $550-1500 as well. Again, a name and unit, FPN, etc. adds to it. Hope this helps.

I would agree.. There is a steep range based on condition.. Some re-issue type with decal completely covered can sell as little as 450-slighly more in good shape. The with brushed around decal or over decaled can go up depending on the % or decal left.. Helmets with less than 70% decal fall fast.. Also the level or thickness of the grey sand/morter mix paint helps. Collectors like to see think paint.. Wrongly associating it with a concrete camo. Its not.
Then naming and Feld post ID adds to the flavor for sure..

A fascinating area of collecting as the variants are endless...

By reissued do you mean a WW1 M.16/17/18 that was overpainted and decaled? For a single decal, $500-1100. One other point, size is relevant to valuation as well. A 70 will fetch much more; a 68 a bit more; a 66 perhaps a little more, it's a quicker mover; a 64 about what is quoted; a 62 a little less; a 60 maybe a little more for someone who needs a representative cool whip bowl human helmet. The 64, 66, and 68 display better. As an aside, it seems quite the manufacturing and logistical PITA having all those shell and liner sizes. The Broadie and M1 took care of that with a single shell size, multiple interchangeable liners.

I guess the thread wasn't clear enough. M35 re-issued to m40 specs.

Other type would be a transitional re-issue and these tend to be less in demand than m35 types..IMHO I like both and collect them.

I've got "reissued" M.16/17/18 and M.35/40/42. I guess the primary helmet type thought of as a "reissue" would be as you noted, a M.35 to M.40 rough paint single decal specs. I agree re paint thickness desirability. I too favor the "reissue" lids, but I favor reissue K98ks too.

I've got "reissued" M.16/17/18 and M.35/40/42. I guess the primary helmet type thought of as a "reissue" would be as you noted, a M.35 to M.40 rough paint single decal specs. I agree re paint thickness desirability. I too favor the "reissue" lids, but I favor reissue K98ks too.

Hambone,

I shot you a PM on a helmet.

Military Rifle Journal
Back