Third Party Press

Daniz 1918 GEW98 mixmaster sporter bubba'd franken-rifle

I picked up a vintage Mauser sporter that was probably good in its day, but it needs a cheap refresh. The receiver is cool, its a dual stamp Danzig 1918 with the 1920 stamp.

The scope is completely foggy weaver KV, the stock is loose, cracked, and missing the nose. Its a Gew98 reciever with a k98 barrel, sadly the original sights have been removed and replaced with a style I have never seen before. The flip-over scope mount is cool, but I have no hope of fitting a modern sight in there and still having the bolt handle clear the sight.

I dont like the stock it came with, I was looking at aftermarket sporter stocks but was thinking why not shove it in some kind of K98 stock instead to blast a hog with.

The only thing I can not find on the internet is the D with a crown above it stamp on the trigger. Probably a Danzig thing.

gcYwUReh.jpg

DTWv3SNh.jpg

brynVyVh.jpg

WyVaQtuh.jpg

raz6D1Rh.jpg

Nice milled lower piece
IHdPYVgh.jpg

Some kind of proofs
nQA77Zbh.jpg

Already has a new safety installed
BUdVYL2h.jpg

A D Crown marked trigged
K8Nnolmh.jpg

Flip over scope mount
A3Oj09dh.jpg

ycXYfkmh.jpg

K98 Bolt with 655 stamps
Aqi7GYph.jpg

The barrel is not timed at all there's an "upside down" waffen on it
BKJleuTh.jpg

Junky stock it came with
KAFcE2Zh.jpg

If it was mine, I'd look for a cutdown K98 stock for it, since you won't be able to fit handguards and bands anyway without a rear sight base and it wouldn't look right anyway with the aftermarket front sight. Shouldn't be too hard to find a stock that was sporterized.

Thank you for the good call man, I did not realize I was missing parts to even allow this action to fit into an original stock.

This appears to be a small ring Kar98a action with the hand guard retaining lip ground off. Can't see the side rail due to the scope mount, but the 7,93 bore size on the receiver ring is a visual clue---it would be on the shoulder of the barrel on a large ring Gew98 action.

That will affect your search for a stock.

This is probably a Kar.98a, not a G98, the bore measurement on top of the receiver, rather than on the barrel shoulder is a good sign for this. The TG is definitely 98a and the receiver looks like a small ring receiver too...

Not sure the question though, you are not seriously considering "restoring" this action? This barreled receiver is a total goner, its not even salvageable for parts and any restoration is out of the question unless you like pointless projects.

The trigger C/D is simply an acceptance stamp, late in the war, around 1917 especially, the Germans began a slow process of dropping fraktur and Sütterlin script and introducing Roman or Latin characters. This is simply one such example, DWM and Danzig seem to have introduced this more strenuously/forcefully than the others. All parts should have a crowned letter on them, triggers are no exception.

Thank you for the good information guys. I totally thought this was a large ring Mauser. What I am trying to do is drop this action into some kind of stock that doesn’t feel like a complete piece of trash. Figured if I was going to get a stock, might as well start with one that is somewhat original with no concern on the details.

Then, I want to shove 8x57 into it and shoot it.

Just find a sporterized 98a stock, they make great hunting rifles (that was the fate of many after WWI/WWII), I have one myself, though it wasn't refinished or metal cut. Not having the full stock to wrap around the rifle also helps on fit issues, sometime, often actually, fitting a complete 98a stock to a mismatched 98a action can be a tedious and disappointing project, often its the handguard that is toughest to fit, the stocks usually fit more or less, but the whole package to fit right almost never occurs. A shortened 98a stock w/o handguard should be much easier.

Of course you can usually "fit" a stock to a mismatched action, but when you are talking about altering a $300 stock set to fit on a mismatched action, it makes you wonder if this is a good idea, you can easily ruin a $300 stock trying to make a $500-600 rifle (typically a 98a's value is in its stock or its completeness, stocks are hard to get, especially nice ones, but actions are rather common)

Military Rifle Journal
Back