Third Party Press

Font Question on 1942 Sauer...

pzjgr

EOD - bombs and bullets
So tomorrow I am going to be looking at a 42 Sauer...according to the nephew of the deceased owner it appears all matching, with rod, hood and sling...

All I have to start is three pics, I was looking at the closeup of the bolt and rear receiver, and noticed varying fonts on the bolt parts and bolt release, can you guys give me an opinion on whether this seems ok, or is it a problem? The 4's look different, and it looks like the "1" on the bolt body is sans serif, and on the cocking piece it may have a serif...

I will hopefully be making an offer to buy, just want to make sure there isn't a glaring problem...hopefully you guys can tell something from the pic...

Thanks guys!

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20190421_145404.jpg
    IMG_20190421_145404.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190421_145332.jpg
    IMG_20190421_145332.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20190421_145336.jpg
    IMG_20190421_145336.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 77
I agree with Bob, so far no red flags, though I see what you are getting at, the changed fonts (footed and straight legs of the "1" & "4"), but this is fairly typical with JPS, one rifle in the same block will have footed ones and fours, another not, often in the same rifle components will vary slightly...

What is important is what isn't shown, this range ce/42 will be on its minimalist binge, it falls in the range of the Hitler decree implementation, where all firms started to drop unnecessary markings, serialing and acceptance, - some firms like MB and JPS took this farther than others, they got a little stiff applying acceptance on parts made internally, so the vast majority of bolts will have next to no markings, just serialing and the FP on the back stem (small bird), the bottom flat where waffenamts were typical is generally blank, though sometimes a numeric or alphabet character is seen. JPS did use some Astrawerke bolts late in 1942 also, so if so it will have the typical sub-contractor marks. But in short, you want to look the bolt over closely, look for the small eagle FP on back stem, the bolt BF should be blank of a single number possibly, look for mill marks which is always typical but moreso on JPS and Astrawerke/Gustloff...

Naturally the stock is at least as important, it too is minimalist, the e/H on RS, serialed internally (Id' want to check unless he squawks AND is offering a good deal, anywhere near retail I would check or walk), buttplates are sterile, almost never sub-contracted, usually the E/WaA37 is seen on the lower buttstock, though often worn, not sure about the wrist, probably not, most seem blank (trends show blank or looks blank), but its a wear point and its possible these small waffenamts are worn off. I'd check if for no other reason to make it look like you know what you are doing. (Maybe a HZa, you never know...)

Thanks Bob and Paul...I will check it over thoroughly tomorrow when I see it...I agree Paul, stock is a biggie, hopefully not sanded...

Like I said, fonts aren't my strong suit, so when I noticed two different styles amongst the parts in the one pic, just wanted to make sure that wasn't an immediate red flag. I do have an all matching "e" block 42 Sauer, but I can't say no to a possible 'nother! :facepalm:

I'll find out tomorrow evening. If I get it, I'll post it up...

Military Rifle Journal
Back