Third Party Press
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Letter "P" and letter "K" marking on K98k stocks

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loewe View Post
    ..your English is exceptional, grammar and style superior to the vast majority of English speakers one encounters. Obviously you were not educated in the United States...
    Yeah I'll just leave this here.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Default How about a " Y " ?

Any ideas mauser guru's?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default How about a " Y " ?

Any ideas mauser guru's? Its located under the bolt

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simpdfd View Post
    Any ideas mauser guru's? Its located under the bolt
    I've got one for you. Let's more of that rifle. All I can see is matching numbers and the barrel is a 1938 Ruhrstahl supplied blank. Wonder if Geco did the finishing? Anyway I'd be interested in seeing more photos. Nothing on the K in the bolt handle relief.
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

e/280 waffenamt, probably ERMA, probably 1938 by the pattern. Generally waffenamts tell you more than blank providers (ordnance code for the finisher is always nice too, this one should have one, probably EE, one of the last ERMA would have made...)

As for the Y, who can say, this is not a mfg mark, the rifle clearly has been through a lot and we do not even know what is original to the rifle. Posting three pictures will lead to no answers, and in this case there probably isn't one as it is entirely unrelated to the thread subject marking.

Thought I would double check on the possibility of Geco, pretty unlikely, but possible, they were in Berlin and MB used e/280 and in one case an e/280 is known, for a 1937 barrel. Thing is Geco started making barrels when e/280 was going out of Berlin, most Geco's are 39-40 dated barrels and almost all are e/26 (a few e/211). Further the pattern, the blank provider at the end of the code is not right for Geco in 1938. They typically end with a lot number at the end, though in 1940 they do follow this pattern with the blank provider at the tail.

Good guess, but pretty sure this is ERMA with the 38 Ru e/280 showing.

Default More pics of rifle

Only non matching part is the rear sight yardage adjustment?

There is something very strange going on with your rifle, almost all the parts are 1936 Oberndorf, nothing to do with the barreled receiver?? Either someone found the exact 4 serial numbers on a different rifle (an Oberndorf) and put it together or the barreled receiver is ground and renumbered, have a closer picture of the serial? I didn’t see any depot evidence on a quick glance either.

***I take it back looking at the wrist this might be a depot rifle.

Is that a Kassel marked wrist fellas?

Default More pics of rifle

If you look close the serial number is stamped twice on the butt stock too