Third Party Press

DWM commercial rifle in 7x57

balkslak

Can somebody help me identify this rifle, can't seem to make out the model or year of manufacture.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 30
They are commercial proof marks, the Crown/N is the nitro proof, the StmG is for steel jacketed bullets. Not sure when the C/N changed to E/N, 1939-1940, but the siderail suggests this is Imperial or shortly after, DWM changed names shortly after the war and stopped making rifles quite early. They piddled with P08's but none of this is an interest of mine (commercial production).

In short I do not know much about this rifle, though often a date can be found on the barrel, typically under the stock, you should at least examine the barrel for further clues. Others can probably answer your questions better than I can, Gunboards-Mauser is a good place for this type of information, - here most people focus on military rifles, Gunboards-Mauser have a more diverse crowd.

As mentioned, pull the barreled receiver from the stock. This will likely give us some good information.

With what I can see I would say it is a commercial rifle built possibly pre WWI but more likely in the 20's-30's from either left over, or reclaimed parts.

Hard to say more without a lot of detailed pictures of all the markings and serial numbers along with the various parts.

Bolt and stock may be later replacements?

Thank you for your inputs. I don't own this rifle, as its pretty expensive, twice the cost as a good condition K98. But I am interested, I'll keep you guys updated if I decide to purchase it.

You don’t have to, but do you mind expounding a bit?

Double a nice $500 k98 is more than I would pay.

Double a nice $1500 k98 is absolutely out of the question.

With nice k98’s topping $3k with a few rarer/crazies getting up to $5k, a little perspective helps!

You don’t have to, but do you mind expounding a bit?

Double a nice $500 k98 is more than I would pay.

Double a nice $1500 k98 is absolutely out of the question.

With nice k98’s topping $3k with a few rarer/crazies getting up to $5k, a little perspective helps!

Most K98s I have bought cost me around 200-600 USD. I'm from Norway and guns are much less expensive here.

Last edited:

Military Rifle Journal
Back