Third Party Press

Turkish ammo

Kar43

Guys,

I’m thinking Turkish ammo is too hot for k43?

Asking since this guy has a whole bucket of it and I’m thinking it’s too hot for old self loaders like the k/g43 rifles.

It’s 1951 dated tqc f.s. Ammo.

Thanks for any input on this matter

I use modern PPU 196gr SP in my G43s and G41. Any surplus I’ll put through my 98ks and clean accordingly if corrosive, which is a given on about any surplus 8mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I’ve got some ppu I will be using forever.. haha

That Turk ammo is apparently straight garbage from what I have been reading.

Thanks

Turk 8mm is VERY hot. I bought a bunch back when Turk Mauser's were 39 bucks each. Kicked like a mule and would shoot straight thru a telephone pole.

Yea that’s what I have heard and it probably would blow apart a late 1944 k43 to little pieces. So I’m gonna pass on that garbage and shoot some new production stuff.

It's probably as much to do with the crappy pressure curve / burn rate of Turkish that will turn a G/K into a mini hand grenade. Add to that the powder inconsistency and poor to questionable storage (hot/cold/wet/humid/repeat) and then you've got clumped up crappy inconsistent powder. Some will burn slow, then accelerate and burn explosively, such that the first part kicks your bolt carrier back, and then the explosive second burn peels the bolt carrier off. The G/K is one of the last semi-auto rifles I'd shoot this stuff in and I wouldn't shoot it in any semi-auto.

BTW, if you've ever had a high pressure semi-auto have an OOB it's not a forgettable experience. Always wear shooting glasses, they saved me.

The stuff is brutal. I load it down. Also turn some of it into 7.92x33 Kurz for "no pick up brass". No way I would shoot it as is. Just my 2 cents.

Military Rifle Journal
Back