Third Party Press

Thread: Looking at buying an Israeli Refurb K98, have a Kriegsmodell stock question?

Default Looking at buying an Israeli Refurb K98, have a Kriegsmodell stock question?

I知 looking at possibly buying an Israeli refurb German K98 converted to 7.62 NATO. The stock on the rifle is very different than what you would find on a typical German K98. It has no bolt disassembly disc, stamped rear band, milled smooth front band and the band spring is odd. It does not go completely between the two stock bands and stops halfway. Looks like it might be a cross pin type band spring like on a GEW88. The stock has the cupped area beneath the bolt handle. Is this a variation of a Kriegsmodell stock? Anyone ever seen one like this? The rifle is in very very poor condition. Considering buying it just to have something to tinker with. If I buy it, I値l post pictures of the stock.

Thanks,
    Zak.
    1936 K98 S/42 German Mauser
    K98 BNZ Yugo Capture German Mauser

It's probably an Israeli made stock by the sound of it.
    WTB: Rough milled, blued, unnumbered floor plate as found on late MO rifles. Unnumbered MO bands, both KM and standard type, MO KM stocks including an unaccepted one, MO bands and stock 5897, upper band 0643

Interesting. Are Israeli made stocks common?

I just looked at more pictures and i believe you are right. Thanks for replying.

I have what I would assume to be an 'early' conversion 7.62 Israeli, and my stock appears to be 'original' to the rifle. It's your typical laminate stock complete with the bolt takedown disc and no finger grooves.

However I have seen many that you describe, with the finger grooves below the rear sight block, made of a lighter coloured beech (almost yellow in colour). I could be very wrong here, and I'm sure that there would be some here to point out the error of my ways, but I think that the ones with the 'newer' stocks are either factory Czech, or FN refurbs??

Cheers.
    G.

I知 curious to find out if it痴 Israeli made or Czech/FN like you stated. I hadn稚 seen a stock with those features, but I知 not super knowledgeable when it comes to Mauser variants.

Here are a couple of Israeli-stocked K98s I have. The lower one is a 7.62 conversion. Both have the pinned on front band and are marked "7.62" on the toe of the buttstock and have Hebrew proof marks on the wood and butt plates, leading me to believe they were likely produced in Israel.

Yes, your stocks are the ones I知 curious about. Thanks for posting a picture.