Third Party Press

Kü Luger

ugafx4

I buy capture paper guns
Staff member
I about fell over when I walked into a store and saw this sitting on the shelf. Definitely a bucket list pistol for me. Kü marked Luger, LZA marked on barrel and side of receiver. I think there is a third LZA mark on the breech block, but I did not take a look when I pulled it apart. According to the serial number study, this appears to be a later one. BYF marked toggle and 41 marked chamber date. The rear part of the toggle is Mauser as well, has the RW mark. Has a few of the 42 marked armorers components. Overall a cool LZA depot built piece.

Mrfarb is the resident expert at these, and helped me with this. I really appreciate that. For some reason Luger guys think these are super mysterious. I think Mike's theory makes a ton of sense. You can read about it here. http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?20435-I-think-I-solved-the-K%FC-mystery

Here is a link to a pistol relatively close. https://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?113471-P-08-k%FC-3653&highlight=ku+luger
Here is a link to the serial study. https://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?28446-Ku-DATA-REQUEST&highlight=ku+luger

I try and post these links so yall can read up on these different areas. Maybe something will jump out at someone here that can help further this "mystery" along. I wish there was more interaction between collecting disciplines!

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20190423_172031 (Large).jpg
    20190423_172031 (Large).jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 140
Beautiful gun Ty!! So many of the “oddball” guns exist but then you see so many patterns that it clearly isn’t odd ball, either enough haven’t been found, or some hasn’t looked at it right or the right person hasn’t looked at it yet.

I had read it or maybe heard in person Mikes theory. I should read it again tho.

Super piece, excellent condition and the markings on the grip panels are crisp! Thanks for the "Bring & Brag". Took me a long time to find one for my collection, they are definitely a grail.

G2

Very nice Luger. I too have a KU marked one. I must admit that when I bought mine about 7 years ago I had no idea what a KU Luger was. I will post mine later as I have not even thought to do so yet. Mine has the prefix before the serial number and the serial is 1337. Again, awesome Luger to have!!

Please post yours up Mike!

Thanks for all the comments. I am looking to rig this up with a nice brown leather holster and two magazines. Will update pictures when that happens.

I will post some pics tonight when I get home from work. I read the link you provided showing Mrfarbs conclusion to the KU meaning the Kupper LZA. I haven't seen that until now and that makes the most sense. I read also where some were questioning the opinion on other forums, one particularly by saying they still believed these Lugers were produced with new parts instead of armory/armorer stocks. My safety latch actually has two number on it, the top number matches all other numbers of 37, while on the bottom for some reason is marked with a 42. Im ready to get home to get these pics up now.

Does your mag match yours?

So the 42 stamped parts denotes that mauser (code 42) made the piece as an armorer spare. They then stamped the serial number on the spare part.

My mag does NOT match. I have seen black plastic matching mags. Does yours match?

I was hoping there was a reason behind the 42 stamp on it. And luckily yes, the mag matches and is a black plastic one like you mentioned. It is a byf 41, I forgot to mention that earlier. I have to take the grips off of it and check to see if they are marked like yours are. I have to say, I have not seen any Ku's lower than the serial number on mine.

Matching mag is really awesome! Excited to see it.

Yours is definitely an early one, looks like just a few on the serial number study before yours.

Thats a great link.

Here are the photos of mine.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 26
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 31
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 25
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image9.jpeg
    image9.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 29
  • image10.jpeg
    image10.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image11.jpeg
    image11.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 27
Cool that the safety lever is a armorers spare as well! I didn't notice that on mine, I will have to look.

That is an awesome pistol. The magazine is spot on for how they were numbered. You need to post that over on luger forum.

Interesting the Ku is missing umlaut. That seems to appear throughout the serial study though!

Its there, just had it at a bad angle haha

Ill make an account over there and post it.

Attachments

• image12.jpeg
    image12.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 32

Military Rifle Journal
Back