Third Party Press

Starting a k98 Bayonet Collection

WreckTangle

Mad Dog 20/20 Connoisseur (RIP Brother 06-05-203)
Looking to start collecting WW2 K98 Bayonets (S84/98 III bayonets?).

I don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on my first bayonet. Rather, I figure by getting a more common maker and year I can start my bayonet collection at a reasonable price while I learn more about them. What maker and year should I be looking for?

I would work on collecting E. U. F. Horster. I seem to run across them the most often. The early and late bayonets go for more. I am still missing an example from 1935, 1936, and 1937 for this maker. Seems like we have the same interests, training rifles and bayonets. Good luck on your hunt.

KKW22cal has a good point regarding Hörster. They produced the largest quantities of S84/98 bayonets over the entire period from 1934 to '45. Hörster made staggering quantities of bayonets especially in the 1940s using the asw letter code. The most common of all IIIR S84/98 is the 43asw and they can often be located in excellent condition.

IMO, there's an advantage of starting at zero. I'd recommend you buy whatever you can that you find matching at a reasonable price...

better spend more for matching, no sharpening, nice find condition as some overhauls. b.r.Andy

Whatever manufacturer you collect the examples should be matching, unsharpened, and in the best condition you can find.

Collection start

Start by deciding what you intend to accomplish.

If you just want to collect a few, snag all the decent, unsharpened (hopefully reasonably priced) examples you run across. I say unsharpened because the value of sharpened examples is always 'iffy'.

Foolishly, I decided to collect an example of each maker and year. As a result, I am resigned/prepared to accept less than stellar examples of scarce makers/years, with the intention of upgrading whenever possible.

Be warned. This is not a hobby for the feint of heart.

With the rise in collecting popularity, I have seen S84/98 III bayonets more than double in asking price in the past three or four years. Same goes for S.A. daggers and H.J. knives. Finding a matching, non-sharpened and in good condition S84/98 III is getting harder. Sellers can think they have a gold mine and expect to get rich off one damn bayonet and it be a common example.The bayonets are out there, lurking in some closet in the bottom of one of grandpa`s old boxes of " crap from some war in Germany he was in way back in the last century."
Watch the Forum Trader here, some of the best deals on a bayonet can found. And, good luck with the hunt.

Military Rifle Journal
Back