Third Party Press

Help with PAB

bowietx

Completely new to the Militaria field, but want to learn. Recently I have been looking for badges and came across these two PABs. Not 100% by far yet on terminology, so apologies up front for any incorrect terms etc. That said, I came across a recent post on fake "AS" badges on Wehrmacht awards. These two are offered by different sellers but are both AS badges. Would love any assessments and will give my take. Ultimately I want to learn and would appreciate specific insight into any problems that these may have. I placed a picture of a correct badge as a reference to the right of the first badge in question. The finish on the first seems to be off, the angle of the prominent fender appears to high (based on what I have read to date the fender gap is larger than normal on those manufactured by AS), the grass is not the same as the original badge it is compared to on the right. The ball hinge and attachment pin also seem different. On the back the impressions appear to be deeper and too sharp.

The finish on the second appears to be closer to those that I have seen as references and the back is slightly less indented, but has similar qualities to the first badge.

Would love to hear any opinions and appreciate your time and consideration!!

Attachments

• Slide1.jpeg
    Slide1.jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Slide2.jpeg
    Slide2.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 35
  • Slide3.jpeg
    Slide3.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 42
Sorry I cant be much of any help.. These are a minefield and I have seen a seasoned collector Buy one of these fakes . They are pretty good.

Panzer badges can be bought very reasonable from certain guys because they have so damn many of them. Most of the later zinc example seasoned badge guys don't even want. These are least expensive.

The Early types can get real expensive.. Good luck on your Quest.

Greatly appreciate the insights!! It has been interesting to learn and on another site the individuals commented that the main point of departure from normal on these examples is the hardware on the reverse. They appeared to be fakes, but for a different reason than I had originally pinpointed. The quality of these is astounding, it definitely takes a practiced eye to spot some of the issues. I can see how even seasoned collectors may be fooled. Looking forward to learning!!

Military Rifle Journal
Back