Third Party Press

Noob with two Patrone .22 rifles

P38Light

I have two Mauser .22 Patrone rifles brought home from WW II by my Father. One a five shot, sn 215720 and the other a single shot heavy barrel single shot sn 73280. Stocks on both were broken off, but he found and glued the butt on the five shot. I have used it as my plinking, target rifle since Boy Scouts. Any info you can provide on these would be helpful, but I have a couple of specific questions:

1) Source for replacement stocks, especially for the single?
2) Since the five shot bolt rotates high, mounting a scope is tough. What types of scopes and mounts would you recommend?
3) Elsewhere on this forum, it seems the value of these fine rifles has become significant, but mine may be among the more plentiful. What are your thoughts on the value range on these?

Hopefully, photos are attached.
Many Thanks,
William

Attachments

• Mauser .22  five a.jpg
    Mauser .22 five a.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Mauser .22 five b.jpg
    Mauser .22 five b.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Mauser .22 single.jpg
    Mauser .22 single.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Mauser .22 single b.jpg
    Mauser .22 single b.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 82
I have two Mauser .22 Patrone rifles brought home from WW II by my Father. One a five shot, sn 215720 and the other a single shot heavy barrel single shot sn 73280. Stocks on both were broken off, but he found and glued the butt on the five shot. I have used it as my plinking, target rifle since Boy Scouts. Any info you can provide on these would be helpful, but I have a couple of specific questions:

1) Source for replacement stocks, especially for the single?
2) Since the five shot bolt rotates high, mounting a scope is tough. What types of scopes and mounts would you recommend?
3) Elsewhere on this forum, it seems the value of these fine rifles has become significant, but mine may be among the more plentiful. What are your thoughts on the value range on these?

Hopefully, photos are attached.
Many Thanks,
William

The repeater is an MM410B (circa 1939) and the single shot is an ES340 (circa late 1920's).

A replacement stock for the early ES340 will be difficult to obtain. I have been trying to find a semi-inletted blank stock for one of these for a while. But, you can occasionally find an original well used stock for sale. But, be aware that the ES340, ES340N, and ES340B all have different inletting for the actions. I think that there is a semi-inlet B series stock currently listed on EBAY.

At one time I had a B series rifle with a scope mounted on Burris model 420556 1" signature .22 rings for .22 grooved receivers. But you will still need to pick a scope with small lenses.

Both of your rifles are fairly common so with the broken stock they will not bring an extremely high collectors price. There were several mm410B rifles recently sold on Gunbroker by the same vendor. These all had complete stocks and they went for about $600 each. There are currently a couple ES340 rifles for sale on the online sites in the $400-500 dollar range, that are not selling. Do not believe the extremely high asking prices on some of these, because some of these rifles have been listed for years at these prices and they are not being purchased.

Thanks for the info on my rifles. Would it make sense to remove and send the old broken ES340 stock to one of the stock makers for an electronic scan and CNC duplicate? Alternatively could try the one on ebay to work on myself (I'm certainly not a gunsmith, but have done some woodworking). Is the one you found https://www.ebay.com/itm/302052892187?ul_noapp=true for $225?
Great forum. Thanks for your advice.

Also, how do I determine which 340 I have?

It is an ES340 not an ES340N and not an ES340B. I say this because of the sliding safety. However, there were a very few ES340N made with a sliding safety. So, measure the diameter of the receiver ring. If it is greater that 1" it is an ES340N. If it is less than 1" it is an ES340.

Thanks for the info on my rifles. Would it make sense to remove and send the old broken ES340 stock to one of the stock makers for an electronic scan and CNC duplicate? Alternatively could try the one on ebay to work on myself (I'm certainly not a gunsmith, but have done some woodworking). Is the one you found https://www.ebay.com/itm/302052892187?ul_noapp=true for $225?
Great forum. Thanks for your advice.

That stock on has the B series inletting. It would require a lot of glass bedding to make this stock work with either an ES340 or a ES340N action. The B series action is significantly larger than either an ES340 or an ES340N so the bedding would show a lot around both the action and the trigger guard.

The stock maker would require a complete stock to make the duplicate. AND, it is my understanding that in most cases the process of preparing the stock for duplication will effectively destroy the original stock. If anyone knows of a stock maker who can do an electronic scan and CNC duplicate without damaging the original I would really like the contact information for the stock maker.

Bottom line is what's the most cost effective path to actually using this nice (and probably very accurate) target rifle? If I have a broken stock with the butt gone and the remaining stock has all the metal interfaces (inleting, etc), the original stock is worthless, the rifle is nice but unusable, so could a stock maker take the remaining original stock and make a complete new one for a reasonable price? If so, do you know of one you could recommend? Or is the ebay stock turned over to a gunsmith the best approach?
Thanks again,
William

That stock on eBay looks harsh.

I'd get into contact with the people at Fox Military. From all the feedback I've read they make A+ repo stocks.

Doesn't look like they have your particular model's stock listed on their website. However, this doesn't mean they can't make one. Just an FYI, the DSM34 repo stocks run about $350. By the time you get a stock scanned, milled, finished etc.. you'd be pretty close to spending what you could get another used rifle for.

http://www.fox-military.com/en/index.php

I’m really curious who you guys are referring to that can scan stocks and machine one from the scan?

They are light years ahead of the stock makers and even production stock making companies I have worked with. Admittedly few of the later, but a significant number of the former.

$350 for a scanned and machined semi inlet, let alone drop in, is a bargain.

I’m really curious who you guys are referring to that can scan stocks and machine one from the scan?

They are light years ahead of the stock makers and even production stock making companies I have worked with. Admittedly few of the later, but a significant number of the former.

$350 for a scanned and machined semi inlet, let alone drop in, is a bargain.

Most likely they didn't scan anything. They used a pantograph to simply copy an existing DSM34 stock.

Sorry, I was wrong on price.

Price: 330 USD / 305 EUR

Price above is for a raw (no finish) stock.
Finish with oil and wax: + 10 USD / 8 EUR

http://fox-military.com/en/stock.php?id_produkt=50

Among the best options when scoping a Mauser Mm 410B is to use what was available in the late 1930's. Here's one of mine with a Zeiss Zielklein in original Mauser scope rings.

j3MnFVRl.jpg

MUK4kyol.jpg

You can actually look through the rings and still use the iron sights. An ingenious bit of engineering.

Best of luck.

BRP

Talley offers rings for the Mauser 22 rifles, however you may have bolt clearance issues depending on the type of scope you use.

Thanks for the info and pics of a high mount scope for the 410B. Do you have approximate measurements for mounts and scope diameter? I could search for something of similar dimensions.
I was thinking of trying one of the new tactical scopes mounted in front of the bolt arc. Years ago I had a standard scope mounted on it in that location but was tough to capture an image.
Much appreciated.

Keep an eye on eBay. Back in March a set of rings (~$127ish and a scope with rings sold for $481. I'm no expert on Mauser .22 scopes, but that's what the listing said they were for--maybe someone else could chime in.

Here is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minty-22-G...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

In regards to a stock, it sounds like there is some sentimental value to the rifle. You can sometimes find another rifle that is cheap and purchase it for the stock then sell everything else for parts on eBay.... I recently saw a mauser .22 at a show go for about $600. You have to ask yourself what is keeping your Dad's rifle worth to you. I can see where your coming from.

Here is a S.A. MARKED MAUSER TRAINER ES340B SINGLE SHOT with scope. Notice how high the rings are verse the link I posted above?
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...-SINGLE-SHOT/lotInformation/46943813#topoflot

Wish I had seen that I would have grabbed it... it went for $900

Attachments

• Mauser22Scope_01.jpg
    Mauser22Scope_01.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 19
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 2181_1.jpg
    2181_1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
You're right about sentimental value. My Dad told me of his recovering these from a pile of firearms confiscated by the German army in one of the towns his unit passed through (3rd Army, post D-Day). Butt stocks on both had been broken off, but he found the matching piece for the 410B, and glued it in place. This was my "learning to shoot" rifle from an early age. Options at this point include: a) finding a new "tactical" scope to be mounted forward of the bolt arc (these advertise reasonable target acquisition while mounted forward on the rifle) or b) high mount scope as you describe. So if I had dimensions, like distance from scope grooves to centerline of scope, for a workable configuration (high enough mounts to allow bolt movement and small diameter scope tube for raised bolt movement), I could look for new mounts and scope at a lower cost.

Regarding the single shot, a new stock is necessary, so lowest cost approach is where I need to be. Could be composite material, laminated, flawed wood, etc. I'm OK with attempting some of the wood work if I could obtain an approximate example made by dimensional scan or pantograph of the broken original (all wood working around the barrel and action is intact).

All your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If you have the intact action section, that may be enough to duplicate you a stock. A few things to keep in mind, by the time you source a blank, have someone duplicate the existing stock, your likely to be several hundred dollars into the project. Once you have a duplicated stock, you would still need to finish inletting and finish the exterior of the stock.

Send me a PM and I can put you in contact with someone who can duplicate your stock. I am not sure about the duplication, I don't know how he will handle the broken stock to get it lined up with the new blank. You'll have to talk to him.

I also think Flynaked, a member here, was/is doing some stock work? You might try contacting him.

I must be missing something ... this is the third time I have attempted to reply ... they don't seem to stick. Anyway: FAl Grunt, I attempted a PM to you, but it too must not have gone out. I'll try again.
Regarding the stock for the ES340, since the value mine is not great, it would seem that a close approximation of the original inletting using the existing remaining portion of the original stock (broken at the grip) as a template on any appropriate material having the approximate dimensions of say the MM410. Then I would finish the inletting/bedding, etc.
Thanks again.

Military Rifle Journal
Back