Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noob with two Patrone .22 rifles

Among the best options when scoping a Mauser Mm 410B is to use what was available in the late 1930's. Here's one of mine with a Zeiss Zielklein in original Mauser scope rings.

You can actually look through the rings and still use the iron sights. An ingenious bit of engineering.

Best of luck.

BRP

Talley offers rings for the Mauser 22 rifles, however you may have bolt clearance issues depending on the type of scope you use.

Thanks for the info and pics of a high mount scope for the 410B. Do you have approximate measurements for mounts and scope diameter? I could search for something of similar dimensions.
    I was thinking of trying one of the new tactical scopes mounted in front of the bolt arc. Years ago I had a standard scope mounted on it in that location but was tough to capture an image.
    Much appreciated.

Keep an eye on eBay. Back in March a set of rings (~$127ish and a scope with rings sold for $481. I'm no expert on Mauser .22 scopes, but that's what the listing said they were for--maybe someone else could chime in.

Here is the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Minty-22-Ge...p2047675.l2557

In regards to a stock, it sounds like there is some sentimental value to the rifle. You can sometimes find another rifle that is cheap and purchase it for the stock then sell everything else for parts on eBay.... I recently saw a mauser .22 at a show go for about $600. You have to ask yourself what is keeping your Dad's rifle worth to you. I can see where your coming from.

Here is a S.A. MARKED MAUSER TRAINER ES340B SINGLE SHOT with scope. Notice how high the rings are verse the link I posted above?
    https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-Mi...43813#topoflot

Wish I had seen that I would have grabbed it... it went for $900
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WreckTangle; 05-15-2019 at 10:41 AM.

You're right about sentimental value. My Dad told me of his recovering these from a pile of firearms confiscated by the German army in one of the towns his unit passed through (3rd Army, post D-Day). Butt stocks on both had been broken off, but he found the matching piece for the 410B, and glued it in place. This was my "learning to shoot" rifle from an early age. Options at this point include: a) finding a new "tactical" scope to be mounted forward of the bolt arc (these advertise reasonable target acquisition while mounted forward on the rifle) or b) high mount scope as you describe. So if I had dimensions, like distance from scope grooves to centerline of scope, for a workable configuration (high enough mounts to allow bolt movement and small diameter scope tube for raised bolt movement), I could look for new mounts and scope at a lower cost.

Regarding the single shot, a new stock is necessary, so lowest cost approach is where I need to be. Could be composite material, laminated, flawed wood, etc. I'm OK with attempting some of the wood work if I could obtain an approximate example made by dimensional scan or pantograph of the broken original (all wood working around the barrel and action is intact).

All your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

If you have the intact action section, that may be enough to duplicate you a stock. A few things to keep in mind, by the time you source a blank, have someone duplicate the existing stock, your likely to be several hundred dollars into the project. Once you have a duplicated stock, you would still need to finish inletting and finish the exterior of the stock.

Send me a PM and I can put you in contact with someone who can duplicate your stock. I am not sure about the duplication, I don't know how he will handle the broken stock to get it lined up with the new blank. You'll have to talk to him.

I also think Flynaked, a member here, was/is doing some stock work? You might try contacting him.

I must be missing something ... this is the third time I have attempted to reply ... they don't seem to stick. Anyway: FAl Grunt, I attempted a PM to you, but it too must not have gone out. I'll try again.
    Regarding the stock for the ES340, since the value mine is not great, it would seem that a close approximation of the original inletting using the existing remaining portion of the original stock (broken at the grip) as a template on any appropriate material having the approximate dimensions of say the MM410. Then I would finish the inletting/bedding, etc.
    Thanks again.