Third Party Press
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K98k Laminate Stock Date and Supplier Codes

Default K98k Laminate Stock Date and Supplier Codes

Most of you already know that I do stock research for some years and now I have to ask for your support. Many forum members have nice Mauser Oberndorf rifles and the data from the laminate stocks would be very important, therewith I can continue with my study. It's okay if smaller parts or the bolt are not matching, just the stock has to match to the action. The examples from the Volume I, II, III books I know already and some additional ones I could find in the forum.

The following data is important:
    - Code and year
    - Serial number with suffix
    - Stock completion date code with laminate code (you can find these markings in the barrel channel up to 1940 and then it was moved to the stock under the buttplate)
    - Presence of letter "P" or "K" on the stock, you can find it behind the the grip ball.

Here is a Mauser Berlin example which I have borrowed from Bruce, I hope you don't mind:
    DSC_8465a.jpg

Thank you in advance for your support.

Regards,
    Stephan
    Last edited by Hambone; 05-09-2019 at 12:26 PM.

I canít fully help as I donít have the action, but hereís a loose stock if any info helps at all. Good luck with your study

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

-42 1940
    -8216n
    -Bo 1 8 40
    -P
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks a lot to both of you!

@flynaked
    Your Mauser Berlin stock will help even in another topic, it's from a Nordsee fleet Kriegsmarine rifle and I'm sure also Andrew will be happy about the new data. Is the serial number visible in the barrel channel and do you can confirm the "746u"?
    - 243 1939
    - 746u
    - Kr 6 23 39
    - "P"

@ltong29
    At first glance you could think that the stock completion date code fits, but according to my studies it deviates too much from other Mauser Oberndorf examples. Based on the serial number I estimated the calendar week and the 17th or 18th week was my result, therefore I looked again. If you look closer, there is a light struck number "3" in front of it:
    Bo 3 18 40.jpg
    The correct stock completion date code is "Bo 3 18 40".

Stephan, yes indeed 746u, hereís a picture in the channel too.

Here’s some relevant pics from my ‘39 Mauser Berlin. I couldn’t find anything but the serial (1565f) in the barrel channel (maybe I missed it) but there are some hard to read (at least by me) stock markings under the buttplate along with what appears to be some pencil scribbling. Apparently I never took any pics of the grip ball area but it does have a “P” as I recall. I also have a ‘41 Mauser Berlin but I’ve not disassembled it. Once I can get some pics, I’ll try to add them here!

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2 bruce98k's Avatar

Default Laminate codes

That under the hood pic is very unique.
    Looks like the code is stampe in small ink numbers along with what appears to be a military inspection (Waffenamt).
    If so I have never encountered a Waffenamt on the wood behind the buttplate.

Supplier code is Br, date code is 7 51 1938. Would be curious if the Waffenamt number could be discerned.
    ---- Turbo Myö ----

Stephan, we can stick this thread so it stays up top if you would like. This is interested information and research.
    ďNot every item of news should be published. Rather must those who control news policies endeavor to make every item of news serve a certain purpose.Ē - Dr. Joseph Goebbels, Reich Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, 1933-1945

Thank you very much for the new data!

Wolfsburg, Bruce is right and there is stamped the supplier code Br and date code 7 51 1938. I suppose it's an Luftwaffe rifle?

Bruce, it looks like it has been mistakenly stamped with the laminate code Kr and a wrong date code, this was crossed out in pencil and then re-stamped with the correct data. It's interesting.

Craig, that's a good idea and maybe more members will see and participate.

Ah, very fascinating! Thanks for the information! It is indeed a Luftwaffe rifle. Iíll try to get better pics of the markings when I can. I didnít notice a waffenamt at the time I had it apart but Iíll look more closely.