Third Party Press

stock question???

sdmark777

Hello, I am new here and though I am knowledgeable regarding German Auto Handguns, but I confess I know little about K98k rifles. So I have this 243 1940. It does not have the stock with a disc for bolt disassembly, but rather the stock with a hole in the butt plate for bolt disassembly. The stock is not marked or serial numbered. So I figure this is a replacement stock? and what period was this stock correct for? Any other observations appreciated. Blue is pretty thin. It is a shooter for sure. Thanks for your help, Mark

Attachments

• DSCN0764.jpg
    DSCN0764.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0767.jpg
    DSCN0767.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0769.jpg
    DSCN0769.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 30
I’m not an expert either. However that stock appears to be a semi kriegsmodel by the buttplate with the hole, and lack of stock bolt takedown, coupled with a bayonet lug. Not correct for a 1940 rifle I believe these came about around 1944.

This stock also appears to be refinished

Hello, I am new here and though I am knowledgeable regarding German Auto Handguns, but I confess I know little about K98k rifles. So I have this 243 1940. It does not have the stock with a disc for bolt disassembly, but rather the stock with a hole in the butt plate for bolt disassembly. The stock is not marked or serial numbered. So I figure this is a replacement stock? and what period was this stock correct for? Any other observations appreciated. Blue is pretty thin. It is a shooter for sure. Thanks for your help, Mark

I'm thinking it's most likely a post war Czech made stock used to restore a rifle to complete form again. It is a style also like the late war Gustloff stocks, but I think those were mostly of the laminated type. Maybe others here can confirm or rule out that possibility.

Military Rifle Journal
Back