Third Party Press

Matching Oberndorf 44 'n' block high turret with 'ar 44' receiver

bruce98k

Super Over the Top Moderator -1/2
Staff member
Mike and I documented one of these in Kriegsmodell. Another one was owned by a forum member and we are able to document this one as well.
Only down side is the missing knurled locking knob on scope. I added the rear eyecup. For BC guys -- 44D905 (KM was reported as 44D906).

This rifle was purchased from the veterans son and is a direct European theater bringback.
the GI was a Captain in the 20th field artillery, 4th US Infantry Division.

I directly quote a letter from his son.

"I believe he and his unit landed in either the 3rd or 4th wave at approximately 9am on June 6 (Utah Beach) and I know that he initially
placed his battery of 155mm howitzers in an apple orchard owned by the Calmare family in the town of St.Martin-de-Verreville about
3 miles inland where he came ashore."

What a ride this guy must have had...real history.

Attachments

• DSC_0075a.jpg
    DSC_0075a.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC_0046a.jpg
    DSC_0046a.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC_0059a.jpg
    DSC_0059a.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC_0050a.jpg
    DSC_0050a.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC_0051a.jpg
    DSC_0051a.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC_0052a.jpg
    DSC_0052a.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 405
  • DSC_0054a.jpg
    DSC_0054a.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC_0066a.jpg
    DSC_0066a.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 374
  • DSC_0068a.jpg
    DSC_0068a.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Sweet rifle Bruce! A HT is cool enough but on an MB receiver, that’s just awesome!

Awesome rifle, Bruce, I love it.

Years back I had a similar HT barreled action missing the mount bases, it was a recycled ar43 reciever as well.

Jeff

Damn what a nice K98k HT sniper rifle Bruce. Very happy for you to add such a nice rifle to your collection plus the history with it is just even better.

Finally pictures. Great rifle but it is clearly not nice enough for your collection. It's tired. So go ahead and just sent it to me.

Hell ya Bruce! Surprisingly clean solder job for an N block. What letter does this one have on the tang and front mount? Assembly number?

'n' block turret

Mike, this has the 'bunny' proof.
Will update both the assembler number and the assembly marks on the tang and front mount.

That thing is magnificent. Pic stickied if we don't have it. Has it been confirmed that the "bunny proof" is an inspect showed that the scope mounts are properly set onto the receiver, particularly the rear receiver?

That thing is magnificent. Pic stickied if we don't have it. Has it been confirmed that the "bunny proof" is an inspect showed that the scope mounts are properly set onto the receiver, particularly the rear receiver?

The inspection stamps found on the tang and front base will match on High turrets. It is likely as you say, an inspection showing that the bases were properly installed. We see a handful of marks, early rifles tend to have RW (or WR) on the front with a R on the tang. Later we see U, O, R marks show up on both. However, these are only found on Mauser rifles. Don't see any tang markings on Sauer rifles (that I am aware of).

And thanks for adding this to the Pic Sticky. The Sniper Rifles section there needs some help. We only have 1 LSR posted and it isn't even a sniper, it's a 3 hole rifle.

That’s a killer Bruce. Fantastic letter too. You can imagine the orchard, full of field guns, maybe he found it there. Who knows. Really cool.

Military Rifle Journal
Back