Third Party Press

Suggestions

mike44f

Ok, as some on here know I have two K43's. Both are qve 45 rifles, but one has been post war chambered in 30.06. This rifle is still without a bolt carrier currently, but has the original bolt group that it came with that chambers the 30.06 I have just fine, and ejects just fine. I have not fired this rifle as of yet though. Now my question is should I keep it in 30.06 configuration and use the M1 Garand spec ammo on the lowest gas setting, or put an original "dtk" marked barrel on it. I am in the process of getting the barrel at this time. It is completely stripped, no sight, no gas system etc. Notches are there where they should be for barrel pin and gas block pin. I have read the threads on how difficult it is to re-barrel these rifles.

Once the barrel is in I will be taking it to a local gunsmith, who is very good at his work, but will not mess with something that he does not feel comfortable with. He said to let him look over the process without out physically trying to place it to the receiver, and if he does not feel that he can do it properly he wont attempt it. This has allowed me the chance to return the barrel if I cannot get it replaced.

That leads me to my last question. Instead of trying to re-barrel the 30.06 rifle, should I look for a stripped/un barreled G43 receiver, and try to save another rifle instead? To be honest I am leaning more towards this idea. I know it will be costly, but I have a passion for trying to keep weapons from the past in order or try to get them back to how they were. On the plus side it would definitely be nice to have three of these bad boys. I am not in this to try and resell, or make a buck off these rifles. Sure I would like them to retain the best value as possible, but that is not my driving factor behind this. I dont want to skip out and use crap parts on something like this.

I will value all those who take the time to input on this and lead me to any information/threads that will be of interest to me.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Pics to come when barrel arrives.

Firstly I am not a qualified gunsmith but I would be really hesitant to rebarrel any of these guns. I have read it is almost impossible the way they are pinned. Several people seem to have got them out as there is no shortage of receivers without barrels but reinstalling is extremely difficult. This being said and considering the metal quality was not so great when these were made I would not hesitate putting the receiver through the stress of being reworked twice.

I think Rob from Apfeltor has done it. I know another forum member spoke about doing it also so you can find the thread here from a year or two back discussing. I think freezing them over an extended period is required to get it to shrink enough to remove. I do not think these were designed with replacement barrels in mind.

Good luck with it if you decide to give it a try, keep us posted.

Thank you for the input. I have spoken with Rob and I believe I will be going with the second course of action and assemble a third one in 8mm.

Now my next issue is when I get the rest of the 30.06 rifle assembled, is what to shoot out of it. Like I’ve said I’m leaning towards M1 Garand 30.06 spec ammo. It’s clear the rifle has been fired recently before I bought it as it has a little build up and burn marks on the top of the handguard near the gas port. Guy I bought it from did not fire it though so no way of knowing what kind of 30.06 was used.

I’m ok with having a third G43 by all means. I see it as another one that can be saved and restored rather than in a pile of parts.

Mike

Thank you for the input. I have spoken with Rob and I believe I will be going with the second course of action and assemble a third one in 8mm.

Now my next issue is when I get the rest of the 30.06 rifle assembled, is what to shoot out of it. Like I’ve said I’m leaning towards M1 Garand 30.06 spec ammo. It’s clear the rifle has been fired recently before I bought it as it has a little build up and burn marks on the top of the handguard near the gas port. Guy I bought it from did not fire it though so no way of knowing what kind of 30.06 was used.

I’m ok with having a third G43 by all means. I see it as another one that can be saved and restored rather than in a pile of parts.

Mike

Obviously somebody was able to successfully rebarrel it to 30-06...one would think that rebarreling to 8mm would be doable thing...but I have heard that it was a bitch and to be avoided.

As to ammo..I would shoot something lighter than Mil spec 30-06...commercial loads alone of that caliber are a bruiser.

Military Rifle Journal
Back