Third Party Press

42 1940 Mauser K98, new condition?

I've seen more and probably better pics, on two different screens. On my lesser screen I had to look a couple times, felt it was bad, would have bet money that it was, but not alot. A couple pics later, particularly the screws and pitting blued over confirmed it. On another screen the dipped aspect of the blue jumped out.

Finish does indeed present different with digital photography depending on light, etc., so one needs to be careful. This thing is a MacMauser though.

A Real Brand New K98

While not the same year, this late 1938 is factory new with the original linseed oil stock treatment. Condition about 99.8% or about as new as it gets.
And not mine. Of note look at the differences in patina and surface polish - thats the big one that really nails the current gun under discussion.

Attachments

• DSC_0906.JPG
    DSC_0906.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0909.JPG
    DSC_0909.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0919.JPG
    DSC_0919.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0902.JPG
    DSC_0902.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 159
The seller attacked me on the gunboards forum, seems he didn't like hearing the truth.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?243397-wanted-to-buy-by-Gerard

:moon: :jaw:

Looks like that discussion was deleted. Tell him to come attack you here where the matter can be discussed openly. At this point, that 42 1940 is now memorialized as being a stripped and dipped restoration. No seller stories about how his paw paw or uncle Bob took it off one of Field Marshall Rommel's SS Gestapo paratroopers at the Battle of the Bulge is going to change that.

After telling him I was being diplomatic the first time, I posted a link to this thread. They took all of it down, it should have been moved to their 98k section for knowledge/learning/warning.

I'm going to put this in the pic sticky reference so this rifle doesn't get passed around like a stomach virus, pumped and dumped, on the unsuspecting. That's the benefit of exposure and accountability. If the rifle is sold as "original mint condition" at this point, that's fraud.

a COMMON RESPONSE..

is what you are getting. This happens every time some ones item gets deemed bad after they probably purchased it as being good. I bet all of us have felt the same way about something they bought not knowing enough about it. It's taken years for all of us to get to where we are now and Now that we are these rifles that were bought before the knowledge was shared and turds and mongers outed are still floating around and will come up for sale time to time. I have seen other rifles with really nice re-numbered bolts that would fool most. In this day and age with cell phone camera's there is not much of an excuse for not getting a quick second opinion from a freind on this forum. I really think the response you got Gerard is the norm after telling a person there prize rifle has been refinished. The more you look at and discover the more you will be use to this type of thing..

The problem is if the seller was peddling the rifle by telling potential buyers that his pawpaw, uncle, dad, whatever, brought it back from WW2, he wasn't telling the truth. It's my understanding that rifle came out of California with three other rifles, from a known "restorer", was sold to a fellow who shall remain nameless at this point, and those rifles were sold at the Allentown show, along with the subject 42 1940, to the current seller, who was the seller ID'd in the ad replicated by Simson.

10-4

copy that. Im just saying he was probably lied to and bought it as the real deal. He's now not being honest selling it and making up the daddy story. Buy the item not the story. Its the item on trial here not the story. Im just making the point alot of people selling stuff bought the said stuff as being legit. Ive had it happen to me. I know the feeling. Guys handle things this way.. He's pissed. He'll get over it. Till he tries to sell it again. It sucks being stuck with a turd. One must suck it up take the hit and move on. Chaulk it up to a learning experiance and either decide to say out of this game or learn from you're mistakes and dont make the same one twice. Some guys learn faster than others. Some dont at all !

10-4 too. It sucks getting stuck, but what's worse is knowingly passing a turd down the line to stick someone else. I reckon what we are doing is trying to make turds flow uphill. The proper person to be stuck with a turd is the person who created it. That is not only appropriate but it deters turdulent conduct. Encouraging, aiding, abetting, or ignoring downhill flow rewards and encourages turd creation, increases the number of turds in commerce, increases the number of victims, and damages the reputation of the hobby.

The current owner of that "restoration" "brought back by my pawpaw" (or whatever) needs to seek a refund, not a new victim.

Gone but not fogotten

This rifle has all the traits of a Nelson Porter,Lou Pacilla redo.Lou may be gone ,but his guns will be around for a long time.Bud

As I was reading these threads, Lou Pacilla's smiling face popped into my mind!
God bless him, gone but not forgotten.

You do realize this is a seven year old thread? And when the rifle was being discussed at the time it had major problems with it and it was refinished.

42. 1940

You do realize this is a seven year old thread? And when the rifle was being discussed at the time it had major problems with it and it was refinished.

Why has it come up again?Im 79.its mine and is real, not refinished.I just wished you could see it for yourself. john

Why has it come up again?Im 79.its mine and is real, not refinished.I just wished you could see it for yourself. john

The last post on this thread was in 2011, until you bumped it today...no one brought it up except you.

And yes, the rifle in this thread has been humped.

Are you Shooterike just here to F with us? Cause this is sounding a lot like a Shooterike thread....Have you had it for 50 years, from a time when things aren't humped, therefore its real? Does it have authenticators?

Me

The last post on this thread was in 2011, until you bumped it today...no one brought it up except you.

And yes, the rifle in this thread has been humped.

Are you Shooterike just here to F with us? Cause this is sounding a lot like a Shooterike thread....Have you had it for 50 years, from a time when things aren't humped, therefore its real? Does it have authenticators?

Honest it has not been humped as you say.Im 79.I sold my ww2 stuff about seven years ago in NH auction , just kept two ,a 44byf, and this one.i just joined again after 7 years to see what's going on, and this is the first thing to come up. Why? I don't know.I would talk on the phone if you want.

Honest it has not been humped as you say.Im 79.I sold my ww2 stuff about seven years ago in NH auction , just kept two ,a 44byf, and this one.i just joined again after 7 years to see what's going on, and this is the first thing to come up. Why? I don't know.I would talk on the phone if you want.

You sure you are not mistaking your rifle for this? Because it was pretty thoroughly wrung out 7 years ago, including previous posting history with pics.

And again, the only bump this thread was by you, since the post previous to yours was made in 2011...so not sure why this would come up for you...

And humped, in the vein of it seems to have had the would cleaned/chemically stripped, and it seems the consensus is it was dip re-blued, not that s/n's were faked...

Last edited:

You sure you are not mistaking your rifle for this? Because it was pretty thoroughly wrung out 7 years ago, including previous posting history with pics.

And again, the only bump this thread was by you, since the post previous to yours was made in 2011...so not sure why this would come up for you...

And humped, in the vein of it seems to have had the would cleaned/chemically stripped, and it seems the consensus is it was dip re-blued, not that s/n's were faked...
Well all the xperts are wrong.how can someone say anything if they cannot see it?and yes it has been in my poseion for over fifty years.john

Military Rifle Journal
Back