Third Party Press

Rookie requesting expert knowledge

Furds00

This was my Dad’s uncle’s rifle. It has been in our closet for my entire life except for some light shooting. I have had very little appreciation for historic firearms until recently. Can any experts tell my this rifle’s story? Obviously it looks to have had the stock replaced and looks like the SN on the bolt do not match. I am just wondering what we have here and it’s most likely road from birth to now. Thanks. 850178F2-5173-4E9D-AC49-013B4597F022.jpg

Well it was made in 1943 at Mauser Oberndorf. This was THE main factory for Mauser rifles and it was made later in that calendar year. We know this because it's a f block in the 5 digit serial series. Someone could probably tell you down to the week or so when.

Oh and they made a ton of rifles. In 1943 and 44 MO produced more rifles in a month then some of the smaller firms did in a year. Very commonly found.

Last edited:
Likely a commercial sporter or made from an abandoned receiver with MM parts and a sporter stock. Lots of back yard gun smiths and commercial companies made up hunting rifles using military barrel/receivers as a base. Parker Hale did this with Enfields and K98's. Receiver looks nice and may be original finish. Could easily restore with a stock set and maybe a few other extra parts as the barrel doesn't look cut and the rear sight is still there.

Likely a commercial sporter or made from an abandoned receiver with MM parts and a sporter stock. Lots of back yard gun smiths and commercial companies made up hunting rifles using military barrel/receivers as a base. Parker Hale did this with Enfields and K98's. Receiver looks nice and may be original finish. Could easily restore with a stock set and maybe a few other extra parts as the barrel doesn't look cut and the rear sight is still there.

So after it’s military use.. the receiver/action/barrel was repurposed into a sporting rifle?
Where would someone find a stock set? Is it difficult? Is it nice enough to spend time restoring or leave it as is and appreciate?

Thanks. It’s fun learning this stuff.

..The dog just had puked up some grass. That’s embarrassing!

Still better than the first option. So getting 'a stock' isn't too difficult. There were/are some rough but mostly representative stock sets floating about on maybe AIM surplus and Southern Ohio Guns had them too IIRC? Numrich also has parts and pieces and repro stocks too. However getting a correct/matching set will cost significantly more. And it still won't be matching to your gun.

If you look at all the parts that are left and look for either serial numbers or acceptance stamps we can tell you more about your particular rifle.

Do the numbers on the floorplate match? It maybe looks reblued but hard to tell. Take a pic of the floor plate and the bolt. Could be it was a bring back that was put in a sporter stock. I have my great uncles that he brought back. THe stock had been smashed and he got a sporter stock for it. I restored it and will never leave the family. With some looking around you could restore this one for not a lot of money.

Is the previous owner still alive? any of his family members vets?

Yes. We have 3 generations with the army. My dad said his uncle brought this back. My grandpa and him were in the 82nd together. EE7504A6-6EA0-4BD1-9E32-F4CEBDDC1C51.jpg52BED5FC-B62A-4B96-932C-33CE53C6EACD.jpg

Definitely not a commercial sporter or an abandoned receiver....looks to be a bolt M/M that somebody sportorized with a non military stock.

All the lower end looks to match...and I am not sure about a reblue, but it has been lightly buffed...not too bad ...but still looks to be to me.

Defintely a very late 43... 43 should have milled fp/tg...but this only got the milled fp...tg is stamped

Keep an eye out on ebay or g/b and you might get lucky and find a decent enough stock for not too much...but as mentioned it still wont match...but will be better than what it is in.

Given the fact that you have no money in the gun you wont be out too much if you drop 2 or 3 hundy on a stock.

Beat up ,lacquered ,mix master RC's go for 500 nowadays...would rather have this in an incorrect stock any day...buts that just me..others may disagree ( and frequently do.(;>)

I'm going to say the stamped TG is good. It is very early but the full 5 digits and single e/135 is spot on. Replacement parts give you some leeway. Probably most correct would be a sintered front band and milled rear. However they would have had the 4 digit serial. Lot of wiggle room on the cupped rear butt plate too. You could probably collect 'correct' type parts like these (unnumbered will be considerably more) and have it looking like it would have in '43.

Do some research on the same vintage rifles. Keep an eye out for parts here and ebay. Be careful on stocks. I would avoid a norwegian stock. Look for a decent original, maybe lightly sanded one for a better price. Like stated it won't be cheap but they keep their value if you get a good one. Take your time, don't think "gotta have it now" and make a mistake.

Military Rifle Journal
Back