Third Party Press

Can the bolt take down boss in the stock be removed?

S.B.

From a Yugo K98K stock without damaging anything? I didn't see a gunsmiths forum in the list, sorry.
Steve

I do believe so. The discs are held in place with the central tube flared into place. I believe it can be drlled out with a slightly oversized bit. A length of steel fuel or brake line can be used to replace them.

Without damaging anything would be very tough, the inner tubes are mandrel flared at a slight angle. The safest cleanest way to not damage the discs themselves or the stock is to accept the tube as a loss and ream it out. If you don’t have an appropriate size reamer of course a drill bit will work it’s just not as clean or safe. Of course you then have to source or make an appropriate sized tube. Installing is the next issue, you would either have to build up a simple mandrel set or can make do with some simple off the shelf tools. A typical centering punch has a body tapered at enough angle to start your flare on the tube, of course it has to be backed up perfectly flat on the backside, a chunk of thick plate steel with an appropriate sized hole in it will work. Of course you then flip it over and do the opposite side. Once you have the flare started you can finish it up with a custom tool or again a cheap alternative; an appropriately sized ball bearing on each side could be used to create the final bit of flare against the disc. Put one on each side and place over an anvil or your chunk of plate steel and lightly tap, no need to go caveman style on it.

*** like Eric and Jeremy said :thumbsup:

A tool like this is used to replace the assembly once you source a new tube. When I could still do work like that I used a deep well 1/4" socket to drive the tube out and it looks still useable.

DSC05255.jpgDSC05256.jpgDSC05257.jpg

I have popped these out using a set of flat machinist punches.

Started with one near the diameter of the flared tube to start and the follow with one the same outside diameter as the tube body.

Reinstalled by carefully driving the tube with a brass mallet. Finished by final flaring using a tapered punch.

Military Rifle Journal
Back