Third Party Press
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need info on 1937 portuguese contract k98

Already mentioned by all Mo937A, in D range which was delivered to Portugal in 1937/8, they have the portugal crest on reciever, WWF Frankonia, Munchen Firerarms proof in sept.1979, Eagle/N is too BRD proofing on reciever, barell and bolt. b.r.Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan98k View Post
    The Portuguese M937-A has a front sight with Balkenkorn - the K98k has a front sight with Dachkorn.

Attachment 205525

The M937-A has the fixed Kornschoner (front sight protector).
    That is correct. My rifle has the balkenkorn with the V-style front sight protector, like these rifles had.

Was this something made specially for the portuguese rifles? Did no german issue K98k have the balkenkorn, before or after?

Much to my dismay i discovered that the bolt is not matching. The number on the bolt is 7356, while every other component on the rifle is marked 7326. I didnt notice it at first since the numbers were so similar. I find it a little bit strange that the numbers are so close, only 30 apart. What do you imagine can have happened here? I imagine two guys from the same company with rifles from the same batch sitting and cleaning their weapons together, and switching bolts... So close, but yet so far. It doesnt really matter since i got it for free and dont intend to sell it, but it is a bit annoying still.

maybe so, any pictures avialable of the bolt stamps? br.Andy

here are some
    Attached Images Attached Images

I meant the other way round, the bolt is 7326, the rest of the rifle is 7356

RKI- Reasonably Knowledgable Individual heavy_mech's Avatar

Interesting only 30 off in the same letter block. I wonder if the mix up happened on delivery or inspection in Portugal? That's the bolt the rifle was wearing when reimported I'd guess unless FWW bought a block?
    "Wen Tausend einen Mann erschlagen, das ist nicht Ruhm, das ist nicht Ehre, denn beinsen wird's in späteren tagen gesiegt hat doch das Deutsch Heer. Podest nicht die Paten der Soldaten doner die da Sterben sollen, soll man geben was sie wollen, sahs sie Herzen, sahs sie Küssen, den sie wissen nicht wann sie sterben müssen"

Quote Originally Posted by Spielkind View Post
    FWW is the logo stamped for 'Frankonia Waffen Würzburg' aka 'Frankonia Jagd' on mostly reimported surplus guns in the 1970s to the 1980s.
    It´s a still existing German company, even if they no longer trade in military small arms.
    'Eagle over N' means German nitro proof, the bavarian crest stands for Munich, an '979' means september 1979.
    These M 937 rifles have only seen service in Portugal.
    Is the eagle over N marking on the bolt also from 1979?

Quote Originally Posted by jbjorn View Post
    Is the eagle over N marking on the bolt also from 1979?
    Yes. German proof law requires that the rifle had to be proof fired again. The postwar eagle over N marking shows that this happened.
    WTB/WTT: (1)late E/H marked bcd stock either standard or semi-Kriegs; (2)unnumbered late MO Zf-41 stock, Kriegs or standard stock; (3)transitional late unnumbered type dot stock which uses bandspring and has bayo mount but no cleaning rod hole; (4)unnumbered byf standard stock as typically found on some byf 44 K and L block rifles; (5)unnumbered E/H bnz standard stock as typically found on bnz.4 and bnz 44 N, O, and P block rifles; (6)any bnz Kriegsmodell stock either with E/H or without

It could be mixed by Portuguese by using in one unit, or the germans when it reproofed in 1979. b.r.Andy