Third Party Press

Duffel cut SSR sniper rifle with SS markings

bodie221

I'm picked up this rifle today as my second K98... I've talked with a few people and it seems to be a short side rail sniper rifle with a type-2 base and SS totenkopf markings that has been partially sporterized including a duffel cut stock. Looking for more information on it since it seems like it could be something very rare. I got home with it pretty late so wasn't able to take proper pictures in good lighting. I'm not super familiar with K98's, especially sniper variants.

Rubbing for a few seconds with a damp rag revealed the totenkopf on the wood stock at the pistol grip.

Anyone have some input? I am unable to get the front handguard retainer off and therefore can't get it out of the stock, but I'll work more on that tomorrow.

Thanks in advance, and I take more pictures of specific things by request.

View attachment 205620

Last edited:
It's always sad to see such a desirable rifle treated to this kind of sporterization. It has a lot of good qualities left, but jeez, stock is really ruined by the cut front end (not to mention its sanded pretty heavily). I guess you could graft a section on there to at least make it look correct, but its going to take some serious work to make it presentable. It's missing some parts which you could find easily. I'm sure you got it for a good price from the looks of it.

I recognize the Williams Gun sight tag and photo. I almost bought that when they posted it for $250 Tuesday or Wednesday. For that price, you have an interesting gun.
That will teach me to trust their terrible pictures on their site and salesman's description. You did well. Although collectors hate to see a rare gun bubba'd it is still a great find. Congratulations.

Last edited:
Has it been rebarreled?

It does not appear to be. I should be able to get it out of the stock today.

It's always sad to see such a desirable rifle treated to this kind of sporterization. It has a lot of good qualities left, but jeez, stock is really ruined by the cut front end (not to mention its sanded pretty heavily). I guess you could graft a section on there to at least make it look correct, but its going to take some serious work to make it presentable. It's missing some parts which you could find easily. I'm sure you got it for a good price from the looks of it.

Definitely a bummer but this work was seemingly done by someone a long time ago, probably the GI who brought it home. I'm just glad it's came out of obscurity and didn't end up being resold again and turned further into someone's DIY sporterization/home gunsmithing project. At least he left plenty to work with...

I recognize the Williams Gun sight tag and photo. I almost bought that when they posted it for $250 Tuesday or Wednesday. For that price, you have an interesting gun.

You got it.

Great bones to start with for sure.. The H band could just be jammed on there ? Not the first time Ive seen that. But, might be best to graphed another G98 or k98 stock to the end. As this could be a converted G98 stock to begin with.

Luckily they didn't screw with the metal/ grinding off the hand guard lip is something often done.. Unfortunately the scope and mount with cost you 100x + the cost of the rifle if you find someone nice enough to sell one.. :facepalm:

I was able to get the front band off. All the parts hidden by the wood appear matching, and seems the stock was originally a Gewehr 98 stock. The second digit of some of the serials has been re-stamped (receiver, trigger guard assembly, visible in OP) and the serial on the stock matches the original number.

Barrel appears dated August of 1939.

My first steps with "restoring" the rifle will be having the H band repaired, along with tracking down an armorers rear band and band spring. I will also need a solid walnut donor stock/stock section, so if anyone has leads on these parts please reach out to me.

Last edited:
One of these is on my bucket list, as my Dad and I have a correct scope and mount for it sitting here.

Someday...:thumbsup:

Jeff

Here are the nicest pics I can manage so far of the barreled action minus a couple pieces:

Last edited:
Some interesting numbering there, details not often seen so thanks for the pictures. I find the HW most intriguing, I guess Herman Weirauch presumably did the mounting??

Some interesting numbering there, details not often seen so thanks for the pictures. I find the HW most intriguing, I guess Herman Weirauch presumably did the mounting??

Just read up on the Weihrauch company. Very interesting! Anyone have an idea what the star stamp next to it means?

Military Rifle Journal
Back