Third Party Press

New member - D.W.Gerard scope and SS? scope question

RB98

Hello. My name is Ricardo and I´m from Portugal. I collect german militaria since the year 2001 and it is a pleasure to talk about militaria, and specially learn about it.

Please sorry about my english: i will make one or another mistake...

If possible, i would like to have some opinions about 2 scopes:

a)The first one is a W.Gerard B3, prussian type, i think. Normally they have the number on lateral part but this one has the number on the top. I saw a lot of them with the number on lateral close to "Gew". This one only have the number on top, and only 3 digits… Maybe the rifle number of the Kmp?

b) For me, a strange, SS? scope. One Helios 8 with ss runes and TK stamp. I know, for exemple , 3rd Div. Tk received a lot of obsolet material for France campaign. T. Eicke searched for material where he could...but...i never saw this type of scope on SS. Fake?

In this first post i would like to greet all the old members and tell that is a pleasure to talk about this subjects with another friends.

Have a good weekend!

Attachments

• W.Gerard B3x-1.jpg
    W.Gerard B3x-1.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Scope R-FUESS-STEGLITZ-HELIOS 8-TK....jpg
    Scope R-FUESS-STEGLITZ-HELIOS 8-TK....jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 97
  • R.Fuess 2.jpg
    R.Fuess 2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 101
Hello. My name is Ricardo and I´m from Portugal. I collect german militaria since the year 2001 and it is a pleasure to talk about militaria, and specially learn about it.

Please sorry about my english: i will make one or another mistake...

If possible, i would like to have some opinions about 2 scopes:

a)The first one is a W.Gerard B3, prussian type, i think. Normally they have the number on lateral part but this one has the number on the top. I saw a lot of them with the number on lateral close to "Gew". This one only have the number on top, and only 3 digits… Maybe the rifle number of the Kmp?

b) For me, a strange, SS? scope. One Helios 8 with ss runes and TK stamp. I know, for exemple , 3rd Div. Tk received a lot of obsolet material for France campaign. T. Eicke searched for material where he could...but...i never saw this type of scope on SS. Fake?

In this first post i would like to greet all the old members and tell that is a pleasure to talk about this subjects with another friends.

Have a good weekend!

SS Scope is , FAKE . Your other Scope is likely Commercial and Not a Military Scope IMO , but maybe Amberg can reply these are more in his collecting realm .

I think we even discussed this particular scope a few years back in here.

Edit: was wrong. The last time such a piece was discussed here it was a British Aldis scope, see http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread.php?19782-ATTN-Dave-Roberts-what-do-I-have-here

Thank you both for your precious opinions. My idea about ss Scope before talking with you was around 98% fake and now 100%.
About the ww1 Gerard...the turret is not the comon for the militar but it is strange the lateral Gew without number and then a number on top.
Have a good day!

The Gerard scope is a correct military scope. Next to nothing is known about that variation. I think it might be a very early Bavarian scope. But that is only a guess.
Can you please post a photo showing the rings and the serial#. What reticle?
Thanks
Wolfgang

W.Gerard Reticle

The Gerard scope is a correct military scope. Next to nothing is known about that variation. I think it might be a very early Bavarian scope. But that is only a guess.
Can you please post a photo showing the rings and the serial#. What reticle?
Thanks
Wolfgang

Hello Wolgang

I send you the photo from reticle and mounts. This scope is not clear to me. I think if it is bavarian should be marked 2-4-6 and the rifle number should be on lateral side without more letters. But the marks 1-2 is strange to me too for prussian type

My idea, and just an idea. In 1918 each german kmp should have around 12 rifle with optics (R.D.Law), so more than 100 per regiment (and we need to consider some dozens more for replace broked rifles), so i think the rifle serial number should be on lateral (but in this case is strange because it is without number only the gew) and on top it is the regiment number or something lke that. Maybe it is a stupid idea.
The scope serial number is 11383.

Have a good weekend!!

Attachments

• Mounts.jpg
    Mounts.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Reticle.jpg
    Reticle.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 25
Thanks.
With serial# 11383 it dates towards 1914.
I think these scopes were mounted on military ordered hunting rifles. => Zielfernrohrbüchsen.
But again, this is only a guess.

Military Rifle Journal
Back