Third Party Press

MG08/15 Maxim advise

08/15

A well known collector here in AZ just sold a very nice one with the drum, hanger, 250 round Dunlop belt, spare lock & barrel for $9500. (Gun was all matched but the lock). It was for sale for nearly 1 year before selling. They are great guns (I love mine) but are a tough sale IMO because of a very small following, and because spares are pricy and becoming harder to find. Regards, JH

Jordan, found you a different imperial rig yesterday, 8cm Skoda :thumbsup:

Attachments

• E0D6838A-63F5-45A8-B9E4-2D402BD44B00.jpg
    E0D6838A-63F5-45A8-B9E4-2D402BD44B00.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 37
A well known collector here in AZ just sold a very nice one with the drum, hanger, 250 round Dunlop belt, spare lock & barrel for $9500. (Gun was all matched but the lock). It was for sale for nearly 1 year before selling. They are great guns (I love mine) but are a tough sale IMO because of a very small following, and because spares are pricy and becoming harder to find. Regards, JH

Yeah I was talking to a good collector friend of mine last night and he said the same thing. He said to be honest a lot of your early World War 1 machine guns are a tough sale. He told me he just saw a really nice 1914 Hotchkiss with an American-made tripod for the American expeditionary Force barely bring 12k. Mainly I just wanted one of these to have fun to shoot plus it would go well with my Imperial collection.

And Clay what the heck would I do with an original German World War I artillery piece where would I store it lol!

08/15

I fitted mine with Russian 1910 extensions years ago to allow adjustable head spacing. I can shoot 7'9, .303, & 7.62x54 r. The adapter allows the gun to be used on the post war MG3 tripod. No mods to the gun were required. I still have all the original parts of course, but its a lot more comfortable to shoot the gun off the tripod. Regards, JH

Attachments

• 0815 MG3 002.jpg
    0815 MG3 002.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 39
That's a nice Maxim JH thanks for sharing. I mean for an over 100 year old machine gun they really are a work of art.

I fitted mine with Russian 1910 extensions years ago to allow adjustable head spacing. I can shoot 7'9, .303, & 7.62x54 r. The adapter allows the gun to be used on the post war MG3 tripod. No mods to the gun were required. I still have all the original parts of course, but its a lot more comfortable to shoot the gun off the tripod. Regards, JH

Jim, I hope you can bring that along in October!

Uh, he didn't mention that the barrel was mismatched in the ad. Sellers I find the most irritating are those who omit information and then get angry when you have to play "20 questions" with them. They don't like "20 questions" but they are the people who make that game necessary. If someone says "all matching but the locking block" then that means just that.

Uh, he didn't mention that the barrel was mismatched in the ad. Sellers I find the most irritating are those who omit information and then get angry when you have to play "20 questions" with them. They don't like "20 questions" but they are the people who make that game necessary. If someone says "all matching but the locking block" then that means just that.

Haak, that's a cool set up. The only way to do it I think for shooting.

08/15

They (08/15's) kind of beat you up when using the bi-pod, especially as we get older. Couple more pictures of the adaptor. Remote trigger adaptor works & the scope is an easy sight in. Regards, JH

Attachments

• 0815 MG3 001.jpg
    0815 MG3 001.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 0815 mount 010.jpg
    0815 mount 010.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 24

Yeah I was a little disappointed to hear that plus when he keeps listing more mismatched parts my interest in what he has diminishes. But I like his statement he gave me if this was an all matching gun, price would be even higher. So apparently he thinks that over $13,000 buy now for a mismatch Maxim is a good deal.

Jordan, It seems to be somewhat overpriced, but likely it would be a case of buying too early?

I say if its something you really like, and it is something you will cherish, and likely keep for a long time, go for it, its only money, they'll make more (literally). However they are not making MG-08/15's anymore...:happy0180:

I would try to show him some comments and past auctions for a reality check...if they are bringing less than $10k in big auctions, its likely his won't move on GB...

Keep working on him, see what happens...even if you have to overpay a bit, if you really want it, go for it.

Jordan, It seems to be somewhat overpriced, but likely it would be a case of buying too early?

I say if its something you really like, and it is something you will cherish, and likely keep for a long time, go for it, its only money, they'll make more (literally). However they are not making MG-08/15's anymore...:happy0180:

I would try to show him some comments and past auctions for a reality check...if they are bringing less than $10k in big auctions, its likely his won't move on GB...

Keep working on him, see what happens...even if you have to overpay a bit, if you really want it, go for it.

Yeah I've tried talkin about it with him but I don't think he's interested in coming down off the price he's pretty much set. I know there is probably more chances of better examples out there that I can buy. And if I had to get that one example for my collection. I'd rather pay a little more for a better example or if I can get it less than a mismatch example. That's even better.

Now the second question if I do end up buying one of these examples one day all of y'all here are going to have to shoot this damn thing with me.

I can picture it now I bring the machine gun, clay brings some ammo, you bring beer, Mike brings White Castle, and Craig well he just brings his cool self!

Yeah I've tried talkin about it with him but I don't think he's interested in coming down off the price he's pretty much set. I know there is probably more chances of better examples out there that I can buy. And if I had to get that one example for my collection. I'd rather pay a little more for a better example or if I can get it less than a mismatch example. That's even better.

Now the second question if I do end up buying one of these examples one day all of y'all here are going to have to shoot this damn thing with me.

I can picture it now I bring the machine gun, clay brings some ammo, you bring beer, Mike brings White Castle, and Craig well he just brings his cool self!

I've got a 1919A4 and BAR in semi...yeah, not as fun, but I could afford them...:facepalm::laugh:

I don’t think that this will be a “buying too early” thing. There has to be thousands of these in the registry, and prices have only slightly gone up in recent years. Compare this gun, a belt fed, to what an Uzi or Sten brings. They also require a clever person to run them, as they are like classic cars, requiring tinkering and expensive parts. I don’t see these really advancing much in price relative to other guns in the near future.

I don’t think that this will be a “buying too early” thing. There has to be thousands of these in the registry, and prices have only slightly gone up in recent years. Compare this gun, a belt fed, to what an Uzi or Sten brings. They also require a clever person to run them, as they are like classic cars, requiring tinkering and expensive parts. I don’t see these really advancing much in price relative to other guns in the near future.

I can agree to that there are not many people around that know how to run these efficiently. Sadly the guys that used these in the field or no longer with us. But you guys might laugh at this I feel like if you buy a 50 lb machine gun I think you feel like you got your money worth at the end of the day!

All of this.

Be patient Jordan. $10k is a big chunk of change and if I'm paying that I want it to be right and something I'm not needing to upgrade. There are better ones cheaper.

Military Rifle Journal
Back