Third Party Press

MG08/15 Maxim advise

Warrior1354

ax - hole
Well might be looking at a 08/15 Maxim this weekend. Surprisingly it is really close to me and has come up for sale. Any advise? Mainly what to look for it?

Have to say if I buy it, this would be the crown jewel of my Imperial collection!

Ask the seller last time it ran. Does he have a video? Also, does it include an extra bolt? Does the extra bolt fit? Have him pull the belt feed block (easy to do) and check to see if it is a re-weld. Inspect the barrel. Ask if any belts come with it and if they run well with it. Ask if he has any 8mm to sell as well that is non-corrosive (like Portuguese, and has he run it with that ammo). What numbers match (though this is less important , seemingly, on MG08/15s). Does it have an original Rambo sling or repro? Does he have the side drum for the 100 round belt? Water can? What hose fittings are missing?

So far from what I have seen and what I have been told the gun is matching but the lock and feed block are not matching. He's including a 250 round belt, a hundred round belt, a spare barrel, and spare lock. He also said it is not a side plate gun and he's fired it very little but the last time he fired it ran great. I've asked for more pictures and he's less than 20 minutes from where I live. So it might be possible if I can meet up with him but all depends on his schedule.

Semi or real deal? Matched parts? Come with spares? If semi, who built it? 1919a4.com is the go to belt fed site.

It's the real deal, full auto and it's registered. From what the seller told me the only mismatched parts are the lock and the feed block.

A crowned jewel among many fine gems too... if you can afford the 08/15, I agree it would be a magnificent centerpiece of any collection. However at the rate you are going, you will have to host an event for the forum members to see your growing museum! At this pace, in 20 years you will have one of the finest collections around and I can think of no other/better centerpiece than a MG08/15.

It really does seem to be a fine example and if you could swing it it might be a once in a lifetime shot, - though lately you have been having more "once in a lifetime" shots and I may have to find a new catchphrase to use...

Have to say if I buy it, this would be the crown jewel of my Imperial collection!

A crowned jewel among many fine gems too... if you can afford the 08/15, I agree it would be a magnificent centerpiece of any collection. However at the rate you are going, you will have to host an event for the forum members to see your growing museum! At this pace, in 20 years you will have one of the finest collections around and I can think of no other/better centerpiece than a MG08/15.

It really does seem to be a fine example and if you could swing it it might be a once in a lifetime shot, - though lately you have been having more "once in a lifetime" shots and I may have to find a new catchphrase to use...

I really do appreciate the kind words Paul. But I'll be honest if your the kind of person to buy an MG08/15 Maxim the best way to enjoy it is shooting it with your friends. Plus having a cookout and drinking German beer too!

With your permission I thought I post his auction link being he has this posted up on gunbroker as well. But I think he might be willing to sell it without using gunbroker. They do take a percentage of your auction sales and he may be willing to come down off his asking price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814165375

It's a lot of money, even when you are speaking about modern dollars (monopoly money), - people like us still must work to earn them, but i am not sure what the going rate is for a MG.08/15, and then again the cost here is not the whole you will have to outlay. There is more to the decision than can be answered here, you might start a thread on the MG section and ask for advice?

Links are fine for educational purposes, or for clarity, the main purpose they are restricted is to prevent littering, promoting and unwanted/unwarranted competition. If this MG auction were competitive, opening at $1000 w/o reserve, then it would be a problem "outing" it, but I doubt competition will be robust in this case.

I love my 08/15 great running gun. In my opinion a feedblock mismatch only is worth about 10000-12000 usd. Make sure the barrel is matching if so a lot of these gun were registered by dewating them which would qualify them for a free 200 dollar tax stamp. Most of the time though the barrel is welded shut, and the rewating process, guys will find mismatch live barrels to make them live so make sure, the barrel is matching unless it’s a Non serialed replacement. But extras always help the price. Other then that if you can get it Between that price point your doing good! Thank Gage!

Unless there is something I’m missing this gun is below $10,000.00 or so. Even at the massively overpriced auction houses these struggle to pull much over $9,000.00 consistently.

Well he got back with me today and no the barrel is not matching nor is the muzzle cone. I think the lowest he'll sell for is maybe $12,000 and that's pretty high to me. And yes Nirvana the big auction houses are not bringing the big money for these I kind of shop around for prices to see what I would pay for one. I saw Rock Island sold one almost two years ago with just a mismatched feed block but it had the harder to find drum magazine with it. And it barely brought $9000.

Military Rifle Journal
Back