Third Party Press

LW K98 by Mauser-Werke Obendorf, HELP NEEDED

HI, I've recently aquired this K98. I've been collecting them for a while and this one was quite odd to me.
Before commenting, note that this rifle is all matching except for the bolt ( Probably a bringback )
It's an early 1940 production, and all metal parts has pretty nice blueing and shows the quality expected from a early example.

So here's the wierd part. The stock has little-to wear, and the stock seems to never have been treated? Is this a half made restoration, or maybe it was taken from a factory. But what is the chances of a rifle from 1940, being found in a box by 1945 or later?? :facepalm:
k98LW1.jpg
More photos attached.

Attachments

• K98LW2.jpg
    K98LW2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 81
  • K98LW3.jpg
    K98LW3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 69
  • K98LW4.jpg
    K98LW4.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 60
  • K98LW5.jpg
    K98LW5.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 68
  • K98LW6.jpg
    K98LW6.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 63
Stock was chemically stripped for sure. Luckily they didnt do anything further. If you have the correct stuff it shouldnt be too hard to "fix". Nice rifle by the way. John.

As stated, chemically stripped, perhaps even with oven cleaner, and then, thankfully, the same knothead didn't try to "refinish it". I would check for the period recipe for the raw linseed (flaxseed) oil and pigment and re-stain it.

Military Rifle Journal
Back