Third Party Press

First time Mauser rifle owner

Hello all. This is my first post. Thought I'd introduce myself, and my new (100 year old) rifle. I've spent a lifetime shooting, but it's almost all been with the AR platform, as I was in the Army (active and guard) for 28 years. I got banged up on my last trip to Iraq, so they retired me in '09. I'm also into off roading, and am currently building a CJ7 from the frame up.

So, here's how it went down... Last weekend we were all in Terre Haute, IN to see my son graduate from ISU. Before we left, we (I) decided to stop in and see the new "Top Guns" store. It was a tiny shop last time I was in there. My father-in-law found a 20 G Stevens he's been looking for, but didn't have the cash. I offered to buy it for him if he gave me his Mauser. No deal, but he offered me his other 9mm handgun.

I went ahead and bought it for him, even though he couldn't remember what kind of handgun it was. Wonderful gentleman, who has helped us a lot in the past. Desperate times between getting blowed up, and getting disability approved. Got home... Turns out he had sold the other 9mm. (His memory isn't so great these days as he's in his 70s.) Went to range Wed to shoot. I said bring the Mauser. After one round of the Mauser... he said "That's it."

I got the Mauser.

He's had it for years, but never fired it. Supposedly, it was a bring back he got from his uncle "Unkie" who fought it Italy during WWII. However, doing some research, I find it's a Brazilian model 1908. I remember Unkie saying he got it in Italy, but he was old. This was just before he passed about 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure if Unkie was stretching things or not, but somehow, a Brazilian rifle made it home to Europe to shoot at the good guys. Either way, it's mine now.

The good news is it's numbers matching. Bolt, barrel, floorplate, and stock all match the receiver. There's no rust or pitting, (that I can see) and it shoots well. All that dust must have been like a protective layer.

The bad news is it's pretty rough. The wood has a lot of little dings in it, and the crest is kinda shallow. The receiver, being in the white for over 100 years is kind rough. There is no bayonet, or sling, and I can't get the action screws out, so I haven't disassembled it to clean it yet.

Not a fan of the sights. It's very hard to shoot with that tiny v-notch and my bad eyes. I may end up putting a peep sight on it, but not sure yet. The only other surplus bolt gun I ever had was a #4 MK 1, and it had peep sights on it. That 29" barrel is something else too. Getting real used to all the modern guns with their shorter barrels. Lol.

Not a bad deal for buying my father-in-law a $170 shotgun.

ewCbMOb.jpg

Htfa7HF.jpg

2T5CIgI.jpg

8ohCzTu.jpg

First of all Welcome to our collecting forum and welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Plus thank you for your service to this great nation.

Anyway I highly doubt this was a bring back because these rifles were contracted out by the German manufacturing firm dwm to the Brazilian military. The Manufacturing firm dwm was a large company that held a lot of assets and were part owners of many weapon manufacturing companies for that time period. By looking at this rifle and seeing the lack of import mark I guarantee this rifle was brought into the country before the 1960s by one of the firearm importers at the time.

Still their fine shooters with strong actions, and a bolt action design created by one of the finest designers of the era.

First of all Welcome to our collecting forum and welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Plus thank you for your service to this great nation.

Anyway I highly doubt this was a bring back because these rifles were contracted out by the German manufacturing firm dwm to the Brazilian military. The Manufacturing firm dwm was a large company that held a lot of assets and were part owners of many weapon manufacturing companies for that time period. By looking at this rifle and seeing the lack of import mark I guarantee this rifle was brought into the country before the 1960s by one of the firearm importers at the time.

Still their fine shooters with strong actions, and a bolt action design created by one of the finest designers of the era.

Any ideas on getting stuck action screws out? I've soaked them in penetrating oil for 2 days... no budge.

Patience is the key..you can never let it soak too long

Plus you need to include some vibration also.

Inset the screwdriver blade in the screw slots and tap them with a hammer..helps break the seal.

Make sure you have a properly fitting bit .

Make take several attempts over several days but it should eventually yield.

Last edited:
Patience is the key..you can never let it soak too long

Plus you need to include some vibration also.

Inset the screwdriver blade in the screw slots and tap them with a hammer..helps break the seal.

Make sure you have a properly fitting bit .

Make take several attempts over several days but it should eventually yield.

This screwdriver tip has always worked for me.

This thing has soaked in everything I have... them screws ain't budging. Ended up letting the gunsmith drill them out, and order new ones. It's there now being made into a scout rifle. The barrel has been cut to 20" and fitted with a Surefire Warcomp. (to match my other ARs, also so I can use a suppressor on it) That 29" barrel was keeping it from fitting in my gun cabinet anyway... It will sit in a Hogue stock, and have a bent bolt. The rear sight base has been milled flat and fitted with a rail section. My Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 x 32 will be here Wed. Gun was supposed to be ready today, maybe tomorrow. I will have quite a bit of cleaning, and the like to do on it however. I've decided to leave the 100 year old finish as is just because I like the character of it. Also I was afraid doing something like cerakote would fill in the crest, as it's not that deep. I'm having him spray the bolt handle in clear Krylon to keep it in the white like the receiver.

By the way... Do I need to keep it original for this "collector" forum? I would still like to learn more about Mausers in general, now that I have one. I'm just not gonna be a purist.

It's there now being made into a scout rifle. The barrel has been cut to 20" and fitted with a Surefire Warcomp. (to match my other ARs, also so I can use a suppressor on it) That 29" barrel was keeping it from fitting in my gun cabinet anyway... It will sit in a Hogue stock, and have a bent bolt. The rear sight base has been milled flat and fitted with a rail section. My Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 x 32 will be here Wed. Gun was supposed to be ready today, maybe tomorrow. I will have quite a bit of cleaning, and the like to do on it however. I've decided to leave the 100 year old finish as is just because I like the character of it. Also I was afraid doing something like cerakote would fill in the crest, as it's not that deep. I'm having him spray the bolt handle in clear Krylon to keep it in the white like the receiver.

By the way... Do I need to keep it original for this "collector" forum? I would still like to learn more about Mausers in general, now that I have one. I'm just not gonna be a purist.

Yeah, um, no one is going to applaud the choice to take a nice original milsurp and bubba it...but welcome anyway...

Yeah I don't think anyone is either. And they say only military rifles were turned into Sporter Shooters in the 1950s and 60s just goes to show you it still goes on today in 2019.

Yeah, um, no one is going to applaud the choice to take a nice original milsurp and bubba it...but welcome anyway...

If my firearms vernacular is correct, to "bubba" it would be to just cut the military stock, and do it half-assed. This is being done by a gunsmith, and will sit in a Hogue stock. It will not be a "bubba".

Yes, it will be losing a piece of history, but that history does me no good if the stock is uncomfortable to shoot with, and the sights are so terrible I can't use them. Let's call it "recycling". I'll have the stock if a collector needs one, and the front barrel band, stock band, and front and rear sight (minus the rear base). My gunsmith has a stack of these parts as well...

U trollin' us bro?

Nope... I don't play games. Just want to learn about my rifle, and go shooting. Hell, I've been in the Army 28 years. Pretty much lived on the AR platform my whole life... Mausers are new to me, but I've read up on the scout rifle. concept, and wanted one for years.

Bubba did backyard shed work on rifles and bubba had professional work done on rifles. At the end of day it was taking history and turning them into cheap shooters or expensive shooters.

Remember Maximus this a collector's forum at heart many members here will go out of their way to preserve history and save old military rifles. At the end of day it's your rifle and I'm sure it will be a fine scout rifle to use. What many others see you took a piece of history that was made 110 years ago and ruined it.

And the common answer back then was "Hey it was in a barrel for $20 so what. I'm paying this guy $20 to put a scope and mount on it and to cut the barrel down." Its cheaper then a nice Model 70 Winchester

Attachments

• 52181633_378309706337441_8027682084023677216_n.jpg
    52181633_378309706337441_8027682084023677216_n.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 52273924_423725738399933_3545399574499454582_n.jpg
    52273924_423725738399933_3545399574499454582_n.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Just want to learn about my rifle, and go shooting.

Well, it doesn't really matter now, you've taken an unmessed with milsurp, and, yes, its bubba'd now.

Its your gun, you can do with it what you like. In some ways every time a good gun gets bubba'd, it makes ours more valuable.

There is any number of already bubba'd rifles out there that are already fucked up, so those are the ones to do it to...I am sure if you would have posted that one on the trader to trade for one thats pre-bubba'd, and you would have come out ahead.

There is not much we can tell you about your rifle, other than it appeared to be a decent Brazilian contract Mauser, that somehow survived South America (not known for good storage conditions for surplused rifles) and is now being hacked and chopped and pimp shined by some smith. The pics you posted don't give us much to go on, and once you get it back, we can't really tell you anything.

The one thing for sure, is original, untouched milsurp rifles are getting more and more difficult to find, and it saddens most of us to see them destroyed...

@Capt14k he knows South American Mausers very well...maybe he can give you some insight...

Well, it doesn't really matter now, you've taken an unmessed with milsurp, and, yes, its bubba'd now.

Its your gun, you can do with it what you like. In some ways every time a good gun gets bubba'd, it makes ours more valuable.

There is any number of already bubba'd rifles out there that are already fucked up, so those are the ones to do it to...I am sure if you would have posted that one on the trader to trade for one thats pre-bubba'd, and you would have come out ahead.

There is not much we can tell you about your rifle, other than it appeared to be a decent Brazilian contract Mauser, that somehow survived South America (not known for good storage conditions for surplused rifles) and is now being hacked and chopped and pimp shined by some smith. The pics you posted don't give us much to go on, and once you get it back, we can't really tell you anything.

The one thing for sure, is original, untouched milsurp rifles are getting more and more difficult to find, and it saddens most of us to see them destroyed...

@Capt14k he knows South American Mausers very well...maybe he can give you some insight...

That I agree. Many think only military surplus rifles were destroyed back then not now. Wrong how about you tell me?

Attachments

• a7706119c543d836d5deb753b1b408e0.jpg
    a7706119c543d836d5deb753b1b408e0.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 45152270b4f3e9f5b162834b59143d91.jpg
    45152270b4f3e9f5b162834b59143d91.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 35
If my firearms vernacular is correct, to "bubba" it would be to just cut the military stock, and do it half-assed. This is being done by a gunsmith, and will sit in a Hogue stock. It will not be a "bubba". Sorry it will be a bubba

Yes, it will be losing a piece of history, but that history does me no good if the stock is uncomfortable to shoot with, and the sights are so terrible I can't use them. Let's call it "recycling". I'll have the stock if a collector needs one, and the front barrel band, stock band, and front and rear sight (minus the rear base). All well and good, and if you post them for sale here, I guarantee you someone here will buy them to fix a rifle bubba'd by someone else, so they can at least help someone My gunsmith has a stack of these parts as well...Post them here or have him post them here, they will go fast....

This is akin to going to a mustang collectors board and saying you are going to turn an original, matching '64 Mustang into a Rat Rod...those guys wouldn't think it was a good idea either...

Looked like it could have been a decent 1908 Brazilian Long Rifle. There were a lot of matching parts on them so without more pics hard to tell if it was original. Germany took back most of the 1935 Brazilian Long Rifles unopened. I suppose some 1908 could have been mixed in, but for it to be a bring back someone would have had to have gotten hold of it and not taken care of it. The 1935 Brazilians are often found in unissued condition. I always hate to see any Milsurp Chopped up. If you wanted a chopped up Brazilian Long Rifle there is one on Gunbroker for $300 being sold as an original 1908 Brazilian Short Rifle. Brazil also chopped a lot of them up to turn into 1908/34/.30 Short rifles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Military Rifle Journal
Back