Third Party Press
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time Mauser rifle owner

Default First time Mauser rifle owner

Hello all. This is my first post. Thought I'd introduce myself, and my new (100 year old) rifle. I've spent a lifetime shooting, but it's almost all been with the AR platform, as I was in the Army (active and guard) for 28 years. I got banged up on my last trip to Iraq, so they retired me in '09. I'm also into off roading, and am currently building a CJ7 from the frame up.

So, here's how it went down... Last weekend we were all in Terre Haute, IN to see my son graduate from ISU. Before we left, we (I) decided to stop in and see the new "Top Guns" store. It was a tiny shop last time I was in there. My father-in-law found a 20 G Stevens he's been looking for, but didn't have the cash. I offered to buy it for him if he gave me his Mauser. No deal, but he offered me his other 9mm handgun.

I went ahead and bought it for him, even though he couldn't remember what kind of handgun it was. Wonderful gentleman, who has helped us a lot in the past. Desperate times between getting blowed up, and getting disability approved. Got home... Turns out he had sold the other 9mm. (His memory isn't so great these days as he's in his 70s.) Went to range Wed to shoot. I said bring the Mauser. After one round of the Mauser... he said "That's it."

I got the Mauser.

He's had it for years, but never fired it. Supposedly, it was a bring back he got from his uncle "Unkie" who fought it Italy during WWII. However, doing some research, I find it's a Brazilian model 1908. I remember Unkie saying he got it in Italy, but he was old. This was just before he passed about 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure if Unkie was stretching things or not, but somehow, a Brazilian rifle made it home to Europe to shoot at the good guys. Either way, it's mine now.

The good news is it's numbers matching. Bolt, barrel, floorplate, and stock all match the receiver. There's no rust or pitting, (that I can see) and it shoots well. All that dust must have been like a protective layer.

The bad news is it's pretty rough. The wood has a lot of little dings in it, and the crest is kinda shallow. The receiver, being in the white for over 100 years is kind rough. There is no bayonet, or sling, and I can't get the action screws out, so I haven't disassembled it to clean it yet.

Not a fan of the sights. It's very hard to shoot with that tiny v-notch and my bad eyes. I may end up putting a peep sight on it, but not sure yet. The only other surplus bolt gun I ever had was a #4 MK 1, and it had peep sights on it. That 29" barrel is something else too. Getting real used to all the modern guns with their shorter barrels. Lol.

Not a bad deal for buying my father-in-law a $170 shotgun.

First of all Welcome to our collecting forum and welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Plus thank you for your service to this great nation.

Anyway I highly doubt this was a bring back because these rifles were contracted out by the German manufacturing firm dwm to the Brazilian military. The Manufacturing firm dwm was a large company that held a lot of assets and were part owners of many weapon manufacturing companies for that time period. By looking at this rifle and seeing the lack of import mark I guarantee this rifle was brought into the country before the 1960s by one of the firearm importers at the time.

Still their fine shooters with strong actions, and a bolt action design created by one of the finest designers of the era.
    "Don't use your musket if you can kill 'em with your hatchet"

Major Robert Rogers 1757 Founder of the U.S Army Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior1354 View Post
    First of all Welcome to our collecting forum and welcome from a fellow Hoosier. Plus thank you for your service to this great nation.

Anyway I highly doubt this was a bring back because these rifles were contracted out by the German manufacturing firm dwm to the Brazilian military. The Manufacturing firm dwm was a large company that held a lot of assets and were part owners of many weapon manufacturing companies for that time period. By looking at this rifle and seeing the lack of import mark I guarantee this rifle was brought into the country before the 1960s by one of the firearm importers at the time.

Still their fine shooters with strong actions, and a bolt action design created by one of the finest designers of the era.
    Any ideas on getting stuck action screws out? I've soaked them in penetrating oil for 2 days... no budge.

What penetrating oil are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1908 View Post
    What penetrating oil are you using?
    Army stuff I got from the motor pool before I retired. I know there's probably better stuff out there, but it's worked pretty well on most of my 40 year old CJ7 bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Army stuff I got from the motor pool before I retired. I know there's probably better stuff out there, but it's worked pretty well on most of my 40 year old CJ7 bolts.
    Try Kroil it works pretty well.

Patience is the key..you can never let it soak too long

Plus you need to include some vibration also.

Inset the screwdriver blade in the screw slots and tap them with a hammer..helps break the seal.

Make sure you have a properly fitting bit .

Make take several attempts over several days but it should eventually yield.
    Last edited by agalland; 05-19-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agalland View Post
    Patience is the key..you can never let it soak too long

Plus you need to include some vibration also.

Inset the screwdriver blade in the screw slots and tap them with a hammer..helps break the seal.

Make sure you have a properly fitting bit .

Make take several attempts over several days but it should eventually yield.
    This screwdriver tip has always worked for me.

This thing has soaked in everything I have... them screws ain't budging. Ended up letting the gunsmith drill them out, and order new ones. It's there now being made into a scout rifle. The barrel has been cut to 20" and fitted with a Surefire Warcomp. (to match my other ARs, also so I can use a suppressor on it) That 29" barrel was keeping it from fitting in my gun cabinet anyway... It will sit in a Hogue stock, and have a bent bolt. The rear sight base has been milled flat and fitted with a rail section. My Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 x 32 will be here Wed. Gun was supposed to be ready today, maybe tomorrow. I will have quite a bit of cleaning, and the like to do on it however. I've decided to leave the 100 year old finish as is just because I like the character of it. Also I was afraid doing something like cerakote would fill in the crest, as it's not that deep. I'm having him spray the bolt handle in clear Krylon to keep it in the white like the receiver.

By the way... Do I need to keep it original for this "collector" forum? I would still like to learn more about Mausers in general, now that I have one. I'm just not gonna be a purist.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    It's there now being made into a scout rifle. The barrel has been cut to 20" and fitted with a Surefire Warcomp. (to match my other ARs, also so I can use a suppressor on it) That 29" barrel was keeping it from fitting in my gun cabinet anyway... It will sit in a Hogue stock, and have a bent bolt. The rear sight base has been milled flat and fitted with a rail section. My Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 x 32 will be here Wed. Gun was supposed to be ready today, maybe tomorrow. I will have quite a bit of cleaning, and the like to do on it however. I've decided to leave the 100 year old finish as is just because I like the character of it. Also I was afraid doing something like cerakote would fill in the crest, as it's not that deep. I'm having him spray the bolt handle in clear Krylon to keep it in the white like the receiver.

By the way... Do I need to keep it original for this "collector" forum? I would still like to learn more about Mausers in general, now that I have one. I'm just not gonna be a purist.
    Yeah, um, no one is going to applaud the choice to take a nice original milsurp and bubba it...but welcome anyway...