Third Party Press

HZa stamped Danish Model 1889/24 Krag Carbine

Pat

Staff member
German-used Danish weapons aren't encountered very often at all, and their existence tends to be better represented in the documentary record. This is a Model 1889/24 Fodfolkskarabin, which is a carbine length Infantry weapon adapted from a Model 1889 long rifle. It was originally produced in 1890, rebarreled in 1940, and clearly saw little if any use. These are chambered in 8X58R, which was used by no other nation in WWII. Considering how quickly Germany conquered Denmark, I would think that most small arms would have been seized by German forces in largely undamaged condition.

This one is all matching and went through the Heer depot at Mainz, as indicated by the 'Mz 8' depot stamp at the wrist. Also associated with Mainz are stamps consisting of a circled 'H' with either a '1' or '2' below the horizontal bar in the H. This carbine has the latter. The depot also blued the bolt, and might have polished the rear sight ladder but it is not known if the Danes themselves polished these during original production. There are examples of Danish Krags in collections with sight leaves 'in the white,' but lacking any other indications of German use. Interestingly, the depot appears to have removed the stock marking disc and replaced it with a circular wooden plug, similar to how the Germans plugged the holes left by removing the wrist sling swivel assembly in Czech Vz.24 rifles. One interesting fact with the Danish rifles is that the letter prefixes in the serial number don't indicate the letter block of production, but the type of unit of assignment. In this case, the 'F' is short for 'Fodfolkskarabin,' or Infantry Carbine. A big bonus was the unit marked (6th Battalion) muzzle cover. These are VERY tough to find, and I'm surprised it lasted on a captured carbine.

Pat

Attachments

• MXwyIJrSRJCoXVN6CGqtvQ.jpg
    MXwyIJrSRJCoXVN6CGqtvQ.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 62
  • xKxAfMTeTTy9c3Gy7yqFAw.jpg
    xKxAfMTeTTy9c3Gy7yqFAw.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 6C9g01fQRJutaDkVffHxUA.jpg
    6C9g01fQRJutaDkVffHxUA.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 50
  • ZP9PTid6QDmjsGhD1yVTDA.jpg
    ZP9PTid6QDmjsGhD1yVTDA.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 39
  • a1lAQAgfTAmVjPhP9p8q3g.jpg
    a1lAQAgfTAmVjPhP9p8q3g.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 45
  • oscmdR6YSR+12YDtvL19KQ.jpg
    oscmdR6YSR+12YDtvL19KQ.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 37
  • uVHb1pzdS1ChRtgTRYFuuA.jpg
    uVHb1pzdS1ChRtgTRYFuuA.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 37
  • ErwlzONWR0G2R32kKO%Q5A.jpg
    ErwlzONWR0G2R32kKO%Q5A.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 54
  • lGAM6yeFQ+q%vp+7VmqXZg.jpg
    lGAM6yeFQ+q%vp+7VmqXZg.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 8G0BpadFQXO%+2wxnU5MCg.jpg
    8G0BpadFQXO%+2wxnU5MCg.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
More pics-

Pat

Attachments

• c9RhHTqwTN+xljCMBwrazA.jpg
    c9RhHTqwTN+xljCMBwrazA.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 37
  • AuIfjOoLSrmasrG6dtklVQ.jpg
    AuIfjOoLSrmasrG6dtklVQ.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 48
  • kW5xZRjMR4ipg8vhvxfX8A.jpg
    kW5xZRjMR4ipg8vhvxfX8A.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 71
  • zuUo1o5lRB+PC8lxL5Ox0g.jpg
    zuUo1o5lRB+PC8lxL5Ox0g.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 37
That’s an awesome example of Beutewaffen right there! Loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great carbine Pat!! This is my favorite model krag, plus it’s extra cool of course.

Rare

Thanks for the post ! Been in this game a while and these are next to impossible to get in your hands.:hail::hail::thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I realized that I don't think I've ever seen one of these in a period photo with German troops, while numerous photos of Norwegian Krags can be found.

Military Rifle Journal
Back