Third Party Press

Help identifying this rifle? Also want to clean it up.

Looks like a nice russian capture k98k. As far as the exterior metal and wood. I wouldnt do anything to it. Light oil and a rag is all thats needed. As far as the bore goes ballistol or really most any gun oil should clean the bore just fine. If you plan on shooting corrosive ammo make sure you use hot water or windex after shooting to stop the corrosive salts from rusting the bore. Then wipe clean and oil. Very pretty stock for a russian capture.

John.

Looks like a nice russian capture k98k. As far as the exterior metal and wood. I wouldnt do anything to it. Light oil and a rag is all thats needed. As far as the bore goes ballistol or really most any gun oil should clean the bore just fine. If you plan on shooting corrosive ammo make sure you use hot water or windex after shooting to stop the corrosive salts from rusting the bore. Then wipe clean and oil. Very pretty stock for a russian capture.

John.

I guess I should state how inexperienced I am when it comes to guns. I can hold them and shoot them. I don't know the first thing about maintaining them, so when you say "light oil" That's pretty vague. The only kind of oil I've been around is oil for cars and I've learned that its better to ask first rather than do something, find out it was wrong, then come back and ask what I did wrong. Do you know of a kit or anything that I can use to help clean it? I also plan on taking it apart and wiping it down. For some its just an 'ol russian capture to me, Its a piece of history that must be preserved.

Asking first is a very solid idea. Ill try to explain as best as I can. Here are several links to youtube videos that show the basic disassembly of the rifle so you can clean the dirt out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J02-86_dDZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FTMiFUMxYQ

In the first video it shows him taking the buttplate off. you shouldn't need to do that.

Important things to pay attention to:

1. Take your time!

2. When you are removing the bolt make sure the safety is in the upward 12 o'clock position. Otherwise you will have trouble disassembling and reassembling the bolt.

3. In the first video it shows him using his hand to depress the band spring in order to pull the front band off. Sometimes it takes more force to depress the spring than you can do with your hand. I recommend using a wood clamp with rubber jaws. So that you dont mar up the wood or metal.

4. When removing the action screws make sure you use a flat head screw driver that is the correct size for the screw you are trying to remove. If you use a screwdriver smaller than the screw you are trying to remove, you will probably mar up the screw slot. Which is not good.

As far as things you will need for cleaning:

1. A cleaning rod. It must be long enough and the right diameter for the bore of your rifle. Preferably the rod should rotate freely of the handle.

2. Cleaning patches. These are the patches that go into the slot of the cleaning rod, which you use to clean the bore. I typically just use cut up old t shirts for this. But you can buy patches that are specifically for this purpose.

3. Cleaning oils. There are many different types of oils that you can use to clean the bore. Most people have a preference. But just about any gun oil will do the trick. Old timers love "hoppes #9". Some guys prefer "Remington gun oil" and others prefer to use "ballistol". There are countless types and brands of gun oil. Motor oil is not the same thing. Its important that you dont go overboard with whatever gun oil you choose. A light coating on the metal will do it.

Here is a basic video on cleaning the bore, there are plenty of videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBSKOm7JmEk

Hopefully you have a gunstore near you. If you do any gunstore worth its salt should have everything you need to clean your rifle.

John.

It's perfect for shooting "as is" but if you find you absolutely want a curve handle bolt I have several. Even have one with the e/655 proof if memory serves.

KCKS? I'm north of you on the Missouri side.
There's a gun show coming up next month at KCI airport.
I could meet you up there and scout out what you need. Cheaper than cabelas!

Military Rifle Journal
Back